Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, September 26th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Whopper

rdemo84 is on a distinguished road
Default Drone sound I think

I received my Gryphon about a week ago and love it so far. The only problem is I get this "drone" sound and pedal vibration when I reach 60mph. I am running the canned 87 tow as I have not received my custom tunes yet. I have read other threads where this is described and everyone says the cause is a CAI, only thing is my truck is completely stock. Could this still be the drone sound or something else of concern?

2006 F150 Screw FX4
Old Mon, September 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Boy, I cannot help you. My truck is nearly the same as yours (it's a 2005 4x4) and I never experienced any kind of strange noise on the stock tow tune with the stock intake. (Nor have I with custom tunes and the Gotts intake version.)

I have to ask this, so just bear with me; that sound does not exist at all using the stock (Level 0) tune, right? And, if you want to "experiment" do you get it using the Level 1 "transmission tune"? If you're negative on both those, then I'd have to say it's some kind of effect caused by the change in fueling/timing in the canned Level 2 tune. I cannot see it being harmful, and suspect it will be eliminated with a custom tune.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, September 27th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Whopper

No, the sound is not there on the stock tune. And I did drive home from work this morning (about 20 miles) with the Level 1 tranny tune and no sound or vibration there either. I guess I will wait on the custom 87 performance tune and see what happens. Do you think the truck will eventually get used to the new ratio and "overcome" this sound and vibration the longer I drive with the 87 tow? Or should I just stick with the level 1 until I get the custom tune? Thanks for the help.
Old Tue, September 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdemo84 View Post
No, the sound is not there on the stock tune. And I did drive home from work this morning (about 20 miles) with the Level 1 tranny tune and no sound or vibration there either. I guess I will wait on the custom 87 performance tune and see what happens. Do you think the truck will eventually get used to the new ratio and "overcome" this sound and vibration the longer I drive with the 87 tow? Or should I just stick with the level 1 until I get the custom tune? Thanks for the help.
As I said, I cannot see this "drone" effect as being harmful, just annoying. Personally, I'd stay with the Level 2 tune unless it just irritates you too much. There's really nothing in that tune that should/could hurt your engine with a stock intake.

But, you've definitely narrowed this down to some anomaly in the canned Level 2 tune engine parameters. I'd make sure Bill knows about this when you order your custom tune(s).

I honestly don't think the truck will get used to anything, but YOU may.

- Jack
Old Wed, September 28th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Whopper

The sound is there but it is not unbearable. I will continue driving with the 87 tow. I was just concerned it was something harmful. Thanks for the help
Old Fri, August 10th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Whopper Junior

RoBatt is on a distinguished road

Hey there i know this thread hasnt been posted on in a while, but i also have the same exact problem on my 2007 King ranch 5.4 4x4. My truck is completely stock except for si/do exhaust and the gotts mod. I bought a CS from you guys at php and put in before any modifications as well and noticed the drone noise as described above and it scared me and still kinda does. I havent tried the level 1 tune yet but level 2 and 3 do the same thing and it does not do it on the stock tune.

I am really interested in getting a custom tune, but i just dont know how much it would benefit a truck that hasnt been heavily modified, but if it would fix the drone it would be worth it. I do tow a good bit especially during the summer and i do have 3 inch piping from the y-pipe to the si/do muffler would a custom tune help take more advantage of the exhaust modifications?

thank you for your help
Old Sat, August 11th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Hopefully the OP will post up results. Unfortunately I'm going with a harmonic vibration theory and it just happens because of a variety of conditions lining up perfectly to cause standing waves.

Your exhaust modification doesn't need any kind of tuning because the "y" is still intact.
Old Wed, August 15th, 2012, 09:11 PM
tmsbandman

tmsbandman is on a distinguished road
Default mine too

FWIW-I noticed exactly the same thing with my 2004 SCREW. It is not there on my 87 Custom Performance. I was just guessing it was something to do with modification of the timing for the tune.