Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, December 24th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road
Default will a 5R110 bolt to a 7.3 ??

I found a 5R110 tranny (for short $$) and I am woundering if it will bolt to a 7.3?? If not anyone know of 7.3 5R110 adaptors?? I see there are some stand alone controlers out there for them.
Old Thu, December 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I wouldn't waste my time or money in all honesty.

I will list some stuff after work today. I have a flatbed to install at the moment!
Old Thu, December 24th, 2009, 11:15 PM

yeah I just sold the flat bed off my 94 f350 and out it on a 97 ram 2500 and my girlfriend is realy pissed about it she likes the flat bed.

Last edited by hayjayhorses; Fri, December 25th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The first issues arise with tuning the transmission shifting on the 5R110. This transmission doesn't use a "standard" on-off shift solenoid, accumulators, and spring pressure setup for upshifts and downshifts. The 5R110 uses a complicated system of special pressure bleed solenoid valves to electronically tailor the shift feel. I hear that tuning the transmission shifts is pretty involved with these.

Secondly, the 5R110 is a good transmission but there isn't yet the aftermarket support that the 4R100 has. Yes, there are a few people that build the 5R110 but I think a lot of them will not speak as highly of the durability as a built 4R100.

Thirdly, an adapter will be required since the 4R100 bellhousing resembles a 385-series (big block) Ford and the 5R110 is similar to the 5.4L and 6.8L modulars.....a tiny little thing.

I will agree that the gear ratios in the 4R100 suck for just about anything. However, the nice thing about the 4R100 behind the 7.3L is that there is enough low end to overcome a bit of this deficiency. I would hate to have a 4R100 behind a 6.0L because the engine would never be in an efficient RPM range after a shift. A five speed would be killer behind the 7.3L. A lower first (at least 3:1) and a split between direct and overdrive would also be nice.

I'm the flatbed installer at my work....I've done dozens of them over the last 3 years and about 8 in the last month. They're getting kind of boring but at least they pay straight time instead of flat rate.
Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM

I am shure an adaptor can be built, what do you think of the Programmable Electronic Automatic Transmission Controller by PCS.

I am running a 2000 f550 4x4 7.3 4.88. I hate the 4R100 because the ratios are so far apart, and it is tthe first automatic I have had in a truck the only thing it is good for is sleep driving. I spend a lot of time above 2500 rpm because of wide ratios, is there any way to make the tranny hold overdrive so it won't down **** when I have foot in to it on a hill??

I rebuilt the 4R100 with a low stall billet converter, heavy duty clutches, shift kit, elimnated the PWM. It is a better tranny then stock but it still no a manual. I have a 2001 f350 (parts truck) with a rebuilt 2 wd zf 6 speed and on old 205 gear on gear divorced transfercase the I am looking to put in my F550. I aslo will put want to put higher gears in it. my F350 with the zf 6 had 3.73 and they were nice.

I have read a lot of your coments on this forum sounds like "flatbed installer" is a waste of your knowledge.

Last edited by hayjayhorses; Fri, December 25th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old Fri, December 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

In all actuality, fabrication is my second passion. I was (at one time about 10 years ago) an AWA certified welder and graduated in the top 5% of my machining class.
It would be a bit more tolerable if I was actually building the beds instead of just installing the pre-made ones.

Thanks for the nice comment!