Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Upgrade your Evo

Upgrade your Evo Upgrade your Edge Evolution to a Gryphon Programmer to allow for custom tuning and additional functionality.

Due to issues with the cable failures due to incompatible versions of firmware, we do not offer upgrades
or tuning for the 1997-2003 F-Series gas or 7.3L diesel trucks. We recommend using another platform.

Old Tue, December 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Whopper

five0merc is on a distinguished road
Default Edge upgrade or gryphon

I'm new here so I don't know where to post this. I have a 97 f-150 and found an edge evolution on craigslist for 200 and was wondering if it would be cheaper and easier buying that and upgrading or just to order a gryphon? Any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old Tue, December 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

five0merc, we DO have an upgrade forum, so I'm going to move this thread there.

You actually ask a difficult question. The cost to upgrade is $40.00 (which includes shipping) now, I believe. Each tune is $60.00, so, you're looking at a minimum of $300.00 excluding the shipping of the unit from Ebay to you and your shipping cost to PHP for the conversion. If you get additional tunes, they are $60.00 each.

If you buy a Gryphon form PHP for your truck, it will be $399 plus $30.00 for each tune. I THINK there's a shipping fee, and it's probably $15.00.

If you wanted three tunes, you're looking at $420.00 excluding the Ebay shipping and your shipping to PHP. The new unit from PHP would be $489.00 plus shipping.

Looks like the Ebay unit is cheaper, but - here's the caveat: You get a warranty with the unit from PHP. NO WARRANTY on the converted unit! And, if the former owner did not return his truck to stock before selling to you, you'd have to pay an additional $75.00 to have it returned to stock so you could use it at all.

I honestly would not take the chance. It COULD work out for you, but it may be an expensive experiment.

Hope this helps! As I said, it's a difficult choice. And, welcome to the forum! This forum is one of the great side benefits to owning a Gryphon.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, December 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Whopper

Thank you for the info and moving this. That helped out alot. I am just going to order a new gryphon. I have been looking at them for a while and paying the little bit extra will be worth it.
Old Tue, December 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by five0merc View Post
Thank you for the info and moving this. That helped out alot. I am just going to order a new gryphon. I have been looking at them for a while and paying the little bit extra will be worth it.
As I said in my last post, I think this is the smartest move, even though it may cost a bit more at the start. I think the chance of a "downside" is too great to try the other approach.

- Jack
Old Tue, December 22nd, 2009, 11:01 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by five0merc View Post
It's well worth it to go this route!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, December 23rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Whopper

Thanks again and yea I agree with going with the gryphon. I was just trying to figure out the best way to go and you helped out alot!