Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

Old Fri, July 1st, 2022, 09:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all
Default FE 360 Performance

Oxymoron: 360 Performance

Here I am, building another engine for somebody. Whoopee.

It's a family friend, a guy a few years older than me. His dad recently died (one who gave me the 74 F250 I put a 4.6 in). The dad built a "buggy" of sorts and the son wants to restore it and have the engine rebuilt. For what it is and the severely limited use it will see, I didn't want to waste a good 390 crankshaft and set of rods......

To be continued....
Old Sat, July 2nd, 2022, 10:50 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Just to throw some numbers out there since math is fun....

FE deck height - 10.170"
360 Rod length - 5.540"
1/2 stroke length - 1.750"
Piston compression height - 1.760"

Deck clearance - 0.120" in the hole. GARBAGE!

Unfortunately, most blocks (this one is no exception) need more than a 0.010" overbore for wear which puts a guy out of the realm of using a 352 piston since the largest size available is 4.060" and the 360 starts at a 4.050" bore stock. A 352 would be fine with me as the compression height of the piston is higher, affording a better quench and higher compression (1.816 CH). This WOULD get deck clearance to about 0.060" or so. BETTER.......

What is Cody the mad hatter doing? Getting Dodge 340 pistons, that's what. Certain years had floating wrist pins (like the FE) and I SHOULD be able to go an extra 0.009" on the small end bushing. If there's no balancing problems due to weight, I'll have a 0.030" overbore (4.080") with 0.040" oversize 340 pistons.....and the best part....a 0.050" deck clearance. The static compression ratio will go from about 7.85:1 to almost 9.0:1 with much better quench and I can get away with a more "sporty" cam and not completely kill the cylinder pressure.
Old Tue, July 5th, 2022, 09:29 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Just to throw some numbers out there since math is fun....

FE deck height - 10.170"
360 Rod length - 5.540"
1/2 stroke length - 1.750"
Piston compression height - 1.760"

Deck clearance - 0.120" in the hole. GARBAGE!

Unfortunately, most blocks (this one is no exception) need more than a 0.010" overbore for wear which puts a guy out of the realm of using a 352 piston since the largest size available is 4.060" and the 360 starts at a 4.050" bore stock. A 352 would be fine with me as the compression height of the piston is higher, affording a better quench and higher compression (1.816 CH). This WOULD get deck clearance to about 0.060" or so. BETTER.......

What is Cody the mad hatter doing? Getting Dodge 340 pistons, that's what. Certain years had floating wrist pins (like the FE) and I SHOULD be able to go an extra 0.009" on the small end bushing. If there's no balancing problems due to weight, I'll have a 0.030" overbore (4.080") with 0.040" oversize 340 pistons.....and the best part....a 0.050" deck clearance. The static compression ratio will go from about 7.85:1 to almost 9.0:1 with much better quench and I can get away with a more "sporty" cam and not completely kill the cylinder pressure.
That's quite an interesting undertaking, but I like the way you think. At the end of the day parts are parts. If they fit and line up, so be it.

Actually, it's not much different than what I've been doing with the 200 Blaster. They use a factory piston with a 72.0mm diameter and then sleeve the cylinder to match. It's not what came from the Yamaha factory, but it works and bumps the displacement up to 240cc from 200cc.

Send some pics when you can. Want to see this buggy.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, July 5th, 2022, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

PHP Ward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Oxymoron: 360 Performance

Here I am, building another engine for somebody. Whoopee.

It's a family friend, a guy a few years older than me. His dad recently died (one who gave me the 74 F250 I put a 4.6 in). The dad built a "buggy" of sorts and the son wants to restore it and have the engine rebuilt. For what it is and the severely limited use it will see, I didn't want to waste a good 390 crankshaft and set of rods......

To be continued....
I want some buggy pics as well!

-Ward
Old Fri, July 8th, 2022, 09:32 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Here you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5962.jpg (20.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 676949912.jpg (20.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 676993153.jpg (21.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6027.jpg (568.1 KB, 4 views)
Old Fri, July 8th, 2022, 12:38 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Oh, that's fun as hell!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, August 18th, 2022, 08:56 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

https://rumble.com/v1gcumf-high-comp...break-in..html

https://rumble.com/v1gdoy3-high-comp...-install..html

It's nothing special but the dang engine outruns the tachometer!

For a comparison, my dad was curious what the cranking compression is compared to a regular 360. At this elevation, 95 PSI is the max for a healthy stock 360 and a lot of the goid running ones are in the 85 PSI range. After 30 minutes or so of runtime, this one is at 135 with the other spark plugs installed (so not cranking incredibly fast). I think it's a winner!
Old Thu, August 18th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

PHP Ward is on a distinguished road

Sounds healthy!

And yea, that buggy does look fun.

PHP Support
  • 1996 F250 7.3L
  • 1995 F150 5.8L