Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, March 15th, 2023, 04:11 PM
Whopper Junior

remark2013 is on a distinguished road
Default Hard Transmission Down Shift

I have a 2001 Ford F-350 CC Dually with ~190,000 miles on her. She has a John Wood TowMaster with about 50,000 miles on it. I have a Wicked Wheel II and a Riff Raff open Air Cleaner, man can she sing! I have downloaded multiple towing tunes, both with modified valve body and without a modified valve body.
My problem is when the truck downshift while pulling a load, a 24' enclosed car hauler with 2 Can-Am Spyders each approx. 1000 lbs. so guessing 5000 lbs., it slams the transmission hard enough to shake the truck going down the road. I have selected both the non modified as well as the modified valve body tunes and both have the same results. In Stock setting transmission downshift just fine, nice and smooth. Can anyone give me an idea of what tune to try next time I tow other than Stock?
Thank you in advance, Remark2013!
Old Tue, March 28th, 2023, 07:55 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Is this on the 4-3 downshift or the 3-2 downshift? What speed are we at?

I'd be happy to take a look at the issue and see what we can do to soften things up.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, March 28th, 2023, 08:07 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I'm going to guess that he had a VRAA7S6/8 calibration stock and now is using the VRAA6S3 and the issue is on the 4-3 since there are lots of folks out there who complain about it (not just from PHP customers either). It's kind of the nature of the beast.

I used to love the instant reapplication of the torque converter clutch to get the power to the ground and it was fine when not towing because the truck never really had to do a forced downshift. After towing a bit with it I learned to hate it and quit tuning with VRAA6S3 in its native state; ultimately modifying all the towing tunes with the delay that the VRAA7Sx calibrations have. It's annoying for sure but not as brutal as the instant reapply.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, April 5th, 2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old Wed, April 5th, 2023, 08:17 AM
Whopper Junior

It's the 4-3 downshift that it happens, I don't feel it when running unloaded but put a loaded trailer behind me and the transmission will downshift hard into 3rd hard. I am currently running the "VRAA63S" programing. If there is another compatible program, I am open to try it.

Kent
Old Wed, April 5th, 2023, 03:53 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
It's the 4-3 downshift that it happens, I don't feel it when running unloaded but put a loaded trailer behind me and the transmission will downshift hard into 3rd hard. I am currently running the "VRAA63S" programing. If there is another compatible program, I am open to try it.

Kent

Download a set of VRAA7S6 calibrations and give it a run. Just DO NOT mix the VRAA6S3 and VRAA7S6 calibrations on the chip as the engine will likely stall or cause a severe stutter when going from one hex code to another.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, April 5th, 2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old Wed, April 5th, 2023, 05:23 PM
Whopper Junior

Just so that I am clear on this, you are saying to change all the programs over to the VRAA7S6 code and to not have any of the VRAA6S3 codes on the chip?

Kent
Oh, and by the way, thank you very much for helping me out on this.
Old Wed, April 5th, 2023, 06:35 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Well, you CAN have both on the chip. It's not good practice though because if you accidentally hit an up or down button too many times and switch the hex code when the engine is running and while everything's powered-up, the engine can die or keep running with messed-up parameters for that key cycle which is not good.

For instance, if you want both calibration families on the chip, put one set (say VRAA7S6) on positions 1-4 and do not go past that with the engine running. Then put 5-8 (or whatever) as the VRAA6S3.

To change between the two, the engine has to be off but the key in the run ("on" position). To switch from the 1-4 set to the 5-8 set:

1. Stop the engine
2. Turn the key to "run"
3. Change switch position to "05" (or whatever position starts the other set) and wait for the confirmation blink. Your wait to start light may flash and you might hear a click. Normal.
4. Turn the ignition back "off".
5. Restart the engine normally.

Use the second set of calibrations as you normally would. Switching on the fly is fine. Just don't go to the other set (1-4 in this case) while the engine is running and especially while driving. To switch back to the other set of hex code calibrations, repeat the above steps.
Old Wed, April 5th, 2023, 06:59 PM
Whopper Junior

Smile

Got it!I think for now I will only run one Code so I do not have any issues. Thank you again. It will be a week or more before I can give this a shot as we are leaving town for a week to visit my In-Laws.
Have a happy Easter everyone.

Kent
Old Tue, May 9th, 2023, 05:28 PM
Whopper Junior

GD022 is on a distinguished road

Could we get some feedback if this helped with shift problem’

I have same symptoms

Thanks
PHP Hydra Tuner Stock, 4 stack pillar (boost, EGT, Tranny Temp, Fuel Pressure), Rebuilt Tranny, BD diesel deep tranny pan. 6.0 Tranny cooler, Hutch Mod. Riffraiff intake inserts, CAC boots, hpop jic, HPX and FRX lines. MBRP 4" SS
Next...Adrenaline Custom Tunes 175/30 injectors
Old Thu, May 11th, 2023, 10:38 AM
Whopper Junior

GD022 is on a distinguished road

Ok well I reflashed to the VRAA7S6 and I can definitely agree the shift points are much better. No hard downshifting.

Thank you for suggestion. Will report back if any quirks arise.

Cheers all!
PHP Hydra Tuner Stock, 4 stack pillar (boost, EGT, Tranny Temp, Fuel Pressure), Rebuilt Tranny, BD diesel deep tranny pan. 6.0 Tranny cooler, Hutch Mod. Riffraiff intake inserts, CAC boots, hpop jic, HPX and FRX lines. MBRP 4" SS
Next...Adrenaline Custom Tunes 175/30 injectors