Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Double Whopper

bamboo is on a distinguished road
Help Little help..

Couple questions here..

First I Got a low end ticking sound, That I fear might be related to my exhaust leaks, But Im not sure..
I only hear it between 1300-1800RPM or so normally when the turbo is not lit
I've got about 3 leaks in the exhaust, one in the welds on the downpipe, 1 in the welds from the downpipe to mid section, And another one to the Y for my duals..I want to chew out the guy I had weld it, But I dont think that will get me any where..

Anybody think this could be the culprit for the lowend sounds..? I still can make 26lbs boost with my AD code's and superduty turbo
But this sound is driving me nuts..

Second question, How does one perform a compression test? a true one, not with a scanner, This would tell me for sure if my engine was tired/dusted correct? and in return guide me to look for a new engine and stop throwing money at this thing..

3rd, I decided to pull the ICP sensor thinking maybe it was bad and could be apart of my problems( I still throw a P1211) under WOT this is with a 17* pump, and my AD's
It did change Idle for a second, So I assume its still working properly ?? got a CEL, also Set my fuel filter light off, which I have plugged
Seem like normal operation ?

Mahalo for any advice
-Patch
Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 06:17 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo View Post
Couple questions here..

First I Got a low end ticking sound, That I fear might be related to my exhaust leaks, But Im not sure..
I only hear it between 1300-1800RPM or so normally when the turbo is not lit
I've got about 3 leaks in the exhaust, one in the welds on the downpipe, 1 in the welds from the downpipe to mid section, And another one to the Y for my duals..I want to chew out the guy I had weld it, But I dont think that will get me any where.. The only exhaust leaks you will hear that will create a ticking sound will be from the exhaust manifolds to the turbo and a really distinct tick will come from the exhaust manifold/head mating surface. A downpipe or downstream leak will cause more of a rumble noise.

Anybody think this could be the culprit for the lowend sounds..? I still can make 26lbs boost with my AD code's and superduty turbo
But this sound is driving me nuts.. Without hearing it, it's hard to say what it is for sure but usually a small exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold won't cause many boost issues.

Second question, How does one perform a compression test? a true one, not with a scanner, This would tell me for sure if my engine was tired/dusted correct? and in return guide me to look for a new engine and stop throwing money at this thing.. A true compression test is performed with a pressure gauge and an adapter that screws into each glow plug hole under the valve covers. The engine should be warm and then all glow plugs removed. The gauge should monitor each "hole" for about 7-10 (depending on who you ask but no less than 5) compression strokes on that cylinder. You WILL be able to tell when that cylinder comes up on compression as long as you have all of the glow plugs out. Oh, and be sure to kill the injector driver module before cranking so you don't fill your cylinders with fuel.

3rd, I decided to pull the ICP sensor thinking maybe it was bad and could be apart of my problems( I still throw a P1211) under WOT this is with a 17* pump, and my AD's
It did change Idle for a second, So I assume its still working properly ?? got a CEL, also Set my fuel filter light off, which I have plugged
Seem like normal operation ? The idle will change for a second as the ICP stabilizes at an estimated (based on IPR duty cycle) 725 PSI. As for your fuel filter light, that's beyond me.

Mahalo for any advice
-Patch

See replies in red.
Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Double Whopper

Dont think there is any leaks at the manifolds, Looks clean there.. unless a really small leak could be doing this? I dont see any sooty areas around there
I was hoping It could had been just the exhaust leak..

well I guess I Can rule out the ICP sensor and Exhaust leaks

the hunt continues ..

How to check for a failing IPR ? Seems my "Idle Recovery" could be due to this.. Cruising along and come to a stopsign/light clutch in, Drops to like 300 rpm almost stalling..? than idles fine..

also are external UVC Harness interchangeable? I found a guy parting out his 96' and my UVCH connectors broke and are some what loose on the Passenger side, Was going to buy the harness from the IDM plug to the V/C's ?

And assuming the compression test goes well, I'm planning on some glow plugs, And undervalve cover harness if needed..
Any suggestions on glow plugs? Should I stick with motorcraft? or are there options..

Thanks Cleatus12r,
-P
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Good luck with your search.

As for glow plugs.....

ONLY USE MOTORCRAFT ZD-11s.

Any other brand is more susceptible to swelling badly when they fail and requiring cylinder head removal to remove the tip.
Old Sun, January 10th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Double Whopper

Have a clue what the ford guys will charge me? or should I try something online??

Got any thing for me on the IPR test??
I read Yours and Daves post about the UVCH connectors, I really need to get on that, But I'd still like to check a few things off the list for being a problem

Thanks
-P
Old Sun, January 10th, 2010, 05:47 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Like Cody said, only us Motorcraft GP's........they are pricey, but it wont cost nearly as much when a Autolite GP goes out and then breaks off in the head when you try to replace it. IIRC the GP's ffrom Ford are around 10-15 dollars a piece, but will not have to change them again for a long time.

For the IPR, have you scanned for any codes?

Or ever had a CEL?
Old Sun, January 10th, 2010, 09:24 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

To any joe off of the street, the local Ford dealerships charge $18.50/glow plug (no tax here). I get a fairly hefty discount though

So.....
Old Sun, January 10th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Would you be able to record a video of the sound?
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Mon, January 11th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Double Whopper

Mahalos for the replys.
I will indeed spend the extra cash for the motorcraft kine. Cody Interested in hooking a brotha up with a discount and shipping um to me? These ford guys on Island think they can charge an arm and a leg because of shipping..

As far as codes I'm getting a P1211 for undesired ICP under WOT, and not passing cylinder contribution tests, with a few different codes, Im hoping this goes away with the new wiring harness
I read on PSN a member had a truck doing the Idle Recovery thing like mine, And some one suggested a bad IPR which he ended up having.. But I'm not sure at all how it might be related..

I Can do my best on recording a video, I Tried once with no luck, you mostly end up hearing the turbo
Chuck, have you experienced something similar ??

-Patch
Old Mon, January 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Does it do it all the time between them rpms? Are you on the big island?
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown