Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Sat, January 24th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Stroker

Crzycrazycarl is on a distinguished road
Default Pictures?

Hey, does any one have any pictures of a 94-97 diesel with the smoke setting on the PHP chip. I have a 97 with little mods and am just wondering how much more smoke I would get with the smoke setting.
Old Sat, January 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Carl! Until recently, our dealers had handled the majority of our diesel customers, so the final customer might not have even known that it was a PHP chip! :omg: We will be installing one of our Phoenix modules (a copyright thing ) on a 7.3L and taking pictures and video -- especially of installation and our calibrations like Whisper Mode and SmokeShow in action! Check back from time to time.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sat, January 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Stroker

Crzycrazycarl is on a distinguished road

okay cool, thank you
Old Sun, January 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Smoke......
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Whopper

Neal 97 250 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Hey Carl! Until recently, our dealers had handled the majority of our diesel customers, so the final customer might not have even known that it was a PHP chip! :omg: We will be installing one of our Phoenix modules (a copyright thing ) on a 7.3L and taking pictures and video -- especially of installation and our calibrations like Whisper Mode and SmokeShow in action! Check back from time to time.
That whisper mod has got my curiosity up. Never heard of it before now. Can it be driven in the whisper mode or is it just for drive thru's?
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We can do it a couple different ways. The problems we've run into with "Whisper Mode" is that to take full advantage of it, we have to do some aggressive fuel and timing adjustments. This ultimately the vehicle rather undriveable. We could do a standard "Quiet Idle" style program that would still perfectly streetable but it won't be as quiet as the Whisper Mode program at idle.

Hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Whopper

Yes that helps. I have heard horror stories having to do with timing settings put on the Economy settings of some (one in particular) companies. They would "pop" as I was told, doing regular driving down the interstate.

Would this be another reason you would not want to drive it in whisper mode?

Have you also heard of this situation?
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 View Post
That whisper mod has got my curiosity up. Never heard of it before now. Can it be driven in the whisper mode or is it just for drive thru's?
Check out this post on FTE about Whisper Mode. The specific post is #7, but it's an interesting thread, nonetheless.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, January 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Neal,

With the whisper mode, the timing actually goes retarded, not advanced, so a "windowed" motor is not the issue. What is, is severe lack of performance because with no timing the truck won't pull.

As to the "Economy" program issue, there is still a great deal of contention about that. Without getting into specifics, the issue seems to be most prevalent on vehicles with Stg. 2 injectors running that file. Customer have complained about excessive "rattle" along with other issues such as instability when switching to (or from) that file to other files on the chip. I've been asked be customers with ventilated blocks to peruse the calibrations on their chip and have found issues with that specific file. To that extent, I've done that best that I can to make the company aware of the specific nature of the issues. I'm sure they are working them out and would hope that will be the end of it.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, January 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Whopper

Thanks for clearing that up a bit Bill.
I don't think I have the problem from the person I got my chip from, do you think? You know who I got my chip from right?

Nevertheless I have stage II 180cc's from Jim but do not run that file very often. I have been told that I am safe from my chip supplier, that it was "the other guys".

I understand the whisper mode. Best for drive thru's but not drive by's. LOL