Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Whopper Junior

daparrothead is on a distinguished road
Default Used Gryphon ?

Ok so I bought a used Gryphon and just want to make sure everything is in working order before I connect it to my truck. The previous owner assured me it was returned to stock mode before shipping it.

So I downloaded the Pegasus program and followed the install instructions and everythng seemed fine. I plugged the unit in to the USB on the computer, should the unit light up? The unit doesn't light up, blink or anything.
Now when the unit is plugged in I get the following on the Pegasus screen.

COM4, Connected- type 2, Port Idle, 2k/nt/xp, HD s/n: EED4B18A, EEF2400, S/N:00003138

I am planning on using the canned tunes at this time just to get it up and running, So does this all sound correct?
I have read so many pages of install instruction and I'm still not sure if this unit is operating correctly or not, it doesn't respond(light up) as I have seen described on the f150online forum.

Sorry for the Question's if this has been answered somewhere else but I haven't found anything that answers this particular question
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Whopper Junior

Anyone????
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

From your description, it appears Pegasus is recognizing the Gryphon, so that part is fine. What's not fine is that the Gryphon screen is not lighting up. It should be red when first plugged in, then turn to green when Pegasus connects to it.

However, it will not hurt anything at all to plug it into your truck. Until you tell it to program the PCM, it's just a passive monitor. So, go to your truck and turn the ignition key to ON, without starting your engine. Then, plug the Gryphon into the OBDII port (you do not have to mount the Gryphon on the dash to do this). If the Gryphon screen shows your truck's hex code, you should be in business.

If it still does not light up, you may have the display set to "dim" or off.

I'll have to get back to you later on this though. We have guests due to arrive at any second.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Yes, try what Jack said and report back.
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Whopper Junior

Ok I took the unit out and connected it to the truck and the screen lit up, blue. Went thru the programming steps without a hitch. But I noticed when it started up the screen said Edge Evolution, nothing about Gryphon. So how can I tell if this unit has the Gryphon update or not? i just read on the PHP website and it states that the Gryphon units are all black and the Edge units are all silver, My unit is black so it should be a gryphon correct?

Thanks for the help, Kenny

Last edited by daparrothead; Fri, December 9th, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

If it is the original evo with the black case, then you have a gryphon. If you want to be sure then hook it up to your computer and update everything you can through pegasus.
Old Fri, December 9th, 2011, 10:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by daparrothead View Post
Ok I took the unit out and connected it to the truck and the screen lit up, blue. Went thru the programming steps without a hitch. But I noticed when it started up the screen said Edge Evolution, nothing about Gryphon. So how can I tell if this unit has the Gryphon update or not? i just read on the PHP website and it states that the Gryphon units are all black and the Edge units are all silver, My unit is black so it should be a gryphon correct?

Thanks for the help, Kenny
You'd going to have to post up the serial number and version that the programmer is....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, December 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

And, I've responded to this in the thread at F150online. Basically, I think the screen color is set to "true blue". The red and green pixels are turned off. Once they are activated (menu option), he should see it working on the PCs.

- Jack
Old Sat, December 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks for the reply Jack, I replied also on the f150 forum.

It loaded the level 2 tow tune just fine and the difference is night and day, the way it should have been from Ford to begin with lol. I'll have to hook it back up to the truck and play with the display menu and see if the lighting changes color now.

So I'm not looking for a fire breathing drag strip monster lol but would the difference in the canned tow tune to a custom tune be as drastic as the change from stock to the canned tow tune? I really can't believe the difference already! The truck is mostly stock, 06 KR F-150 5.4 4X4, Gotts mod & a Magnaflow cat-back,

Thanks Again, Kenny
Old Sat, December 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daparrothead View Post
Thanks for the reply Jack, I replied also on the f150 forum.

It loaded the level 2 tow tune just fine and the difference is night and day, the way it should have been from Ford to begin with lol. I'll have to hook it back up to the truck and play with the display menu and see if the lighting changes color now.

So I'm not looking for a fire breathing drag strip monster lol but would the difference in the canned tow tune to a custom tune be as drastic as the change from stock to the canned tow tune? I really can't believe the difference already! The truck is mostly stock, 06 KR F-150 5.4 4X4, Gotts mod & a Magnaflow cat-back,

Thanks Again, Kenny
Kenny, the difference between canned and custom was not as dramatic as the difference between canned and stock. But, it felt more "refined" to me, and, I think my gas mileage improved by about 1/2 mpg. Mostly, if you get custom tunes you need to be as "specific" in what you are looking for (as a result) as you can be when you place your order. For instance, I made sure Bill knew most of my driving was Interstate Highway, that I don't scream off from a standstill, that I needed improved passing performance in the 60 mph range when on 2-lane highways and that improved gas mileage would be appreciated.

Drive your truck for a while and try to think of ways it could be improved before you order. And, I'm glad you aren't looking for a "fire-breathing" monster - these are working trucks and they need to be treated as such.

- Jack