Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Sex alleviates tension

average-joe is on a distinguished road
Default Questions.

Questions about a Gryphon.
Will i gain anything from this tuner with a stock truck?
Do i need all sorts of mods, like air intakes,exhaust ect ect.
What's it cost for custom tunes and how do you get them.

Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.
Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
working for parts.....

Northern Supercrew is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by average-joe View Post
Questions about a Gryphon.
Will i gain anything from this tuner with a stock truck?
Do i need all sorts of mods, like air intakes,exhaust ect ect.
What's it cost for custom tunes and how do you get them.
hey joe..i got a bone stock 08 and my custom tunes made a great difference. that annoying throttle lag is gone and pedal sensitivity is great...just tap it and go. you may feel more with some of the extra's that you mentioned..but honestly, my 08 feels stronger stock than my 05 150 felt with the mods you mentioned and tuned by Bill. I'm sure Corey will be on to answer your price question...and the order form in on the home page under the download segment....
Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Sex alleviates tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
hey joe..i got a bone stock 08 and my custom tunes made a great difference. that annoying throttle lag is gone and pedal sensitivity is great...just tap it and go. you may feel more with some of the extra's that you mentioned..but honestly, my 08 feels stronger stock than my 05 150 felt with the mods you mentioned and tuned by Bill. I'm sure Corey will be on to answer your price question...and the order form in on the home page under the download segment....

I have a stock 08 , 5.4 also.

Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

The best way I can answer your question, Joe, is to let one of our customers explain: http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...ing-worth.html In this recent thread, Bluejay, a.k.a. Jim Smith, explains about his stock truck before and after canned tunes and before and after custom tunes.

As far as price goes, the base programmer with canned tunes is $399. If you want to purchase custom tunes at the time you purchase the Gryphon, they are $30 each, and you can get 1, 2, or 3. If you decide down the road to purchase them, we would charge you our standard custom calibration price of $50 each. The cool thing is that if you KNOW you're going to be getting a CAI or something a few months down the road, you can purchase them at the discounted price, but you don't have to use them right away -- on the order form, we actually give you the option to choose I intend to request this calibration later. A few months ago, we implemented this pricing structure due to the economy. We realized that people just don't have the money to plop down $2,000 on modifications all at once and that they usually need to be purchased in stages. The way it's priced now, people can get in on the lower price NOW and use the programmer with the stock tunes and then make modifications at a later date and request their custom tunes! It's WAY more paperwork, and with the number of customers we have now, it's a little chaotic sometimes, but we think it's the fairest way to go.

BTW, I have a stock '05 Expedition. Bill's been playing with the custom tunes on it, and right now, it's not programmed at all, and it feels like . I am quite sure that with the stock shifting between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3, I can get out and push the dang thing faster. It's similar to the feeling of driving in mud. I can't wait until he gets back!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sex alleviates tension

I think a CAI is a waste of my time and money,$300 for something i wont get any benefit from with my truck and driving style,i dont drive fast or aggressive.
The exhaust is new and i cant bring myself to rip it off to add a louder one in SS,Not at the momment anyhow.
Pulleys,im not to clued up on that mod,any other mods???

I will order a Gryphon this month with two custom tunes.

Old Sat, January 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Joe,

We get asked our opinions of CAIs practically every day. I finally just wrote a generic reply that I use for those e-mails. I'm PMing it to you. Bill can explain pulleys to you.

(And I'm so sorry to hear about your Klingon problem. )

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sun, January 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Joe - We've been out of town for two days, and I'd like to answer your original question too. My truck is "stock" as far as the engine goes and I think the Gryphon is the best mod I could get for it!

The throttle lag in passing is gone, the truck seems to have more power, it shifts better and it gets better fuel economy! And, since I tow, I want to know what's happening with my transmission so I monitor the fluid temperature. And, since my trailer has two batteries (and a refrigerator that runs off DC when the trailer is being towed), I want to know the battery voltage too. With the Gryphon I get a digital readout of the voltage, not just the "feel good" gauge reading on the dash.

I don't think you're going to find anyone who has a Gryphon who would be willing to give it up.

Underdrive pulleys reduce the speed at which the power steering pump and the alternator spin, which is supposed to reduce the power load they put on the engine, giving you more to turn the tires. According to the hype, they still turn fast enough so that your battery still gets charged and you still have power assist to steer with. There is an acknowledgment that perhaps having to operate for a long time at idle with all accessories and lights on could drain your battery though, and, steering might be "sluggish" under the same conditions. The solution is to raise your idle speed some if this is a concern.

Hope this helps!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, January 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Whopper

doubleshot is on a distinguished road

would you please pm your opinion on the cai I am interested also.. thanks
Old Mon, January 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

(I've answered this question on the phone three times today. )

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, January 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Sex alleviates tension

Doctor gave me pills and cream for my Klingons