Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu, January 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Bill,
I do not have a Gryphon yet, hopefully soon...that being said, because of the air intake mod I have, do you think it would be detrimental to my engine (stock 5.4 3v with stock air filter) to make WOT runs? Should I cap off the ram air section and just let it breathe through the fenderwell until I get a Gryphon?
I haven't made any WOT runs yet, and based upon your explanation of A/F ratios it's probably a good thing I haven't.
Thanks for any guidance.
Let's see if I can get this right before Bill chimes in:

I think, because you've done no modifications to the intake system past the intake tube (the filter box and filter are all stock), you're not going to fool the MAF sensor into thinking there's less airflow than there really is. So, I don't think you have to worry about running lean.

But - and here I don't really have a clue how to proceed - at high speeds, your "ram" air intake is going to have a little bit of the effect of a blower (although I doubt it will be TOO significant). That COULD upset things a bit.

(BTW - the only reason I jumped in here was to test my understanding of this concern).

- Jack

Tags
2009, dyno, f150, power, results, torque