Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, February 26th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Whopper

jhedges16 is on a distinguished road

hey, just wondering if there is any update on what i should do with this situation
Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Josh,

I must have made a mistake or missed something somewhere. I was under the impression we were having you send the unit back so we could test and/or replace it. Maybe it was in my head.

I don't think there's anything we can do further from this end until we get the unit back. I'll need to test the unit here and make sure it does work correctly and if it does then we need to determine what the communications issue is with your truck.

Unfortunately, I've had one other customer with an early truck that the programmer simply would not communicate with during a programming session. It would start reading and then fail at random points. Fortunately, it didn't fail while programming which would have disabled the PCM. In any event, he ended up having to go with a chip because of the programming issue.

I'm still not sure what exactly the problem is but we've seen similar issues on older 7.3L trucks that use very similar hardware. My guess is that as the PCM ages, the communications chip, clock crystal, or some other component(s) start to drift and cause a timing or voltage issue which results in a PCM that can't be programmed through the OBDII port.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Whopper

oh ok. i will get on that as soon as i can today. i wasnt sure if you wanted me to send it back or not cuz i never got a hold of you after i made the second attempt at it
Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Whopper

just dropped it off at ups so it should be there by the end of the next week
Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Awesome. As soon as it arrives we'll give it a check and see what's up.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Whopper

alright thanks.
Old Fri, February 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Whopper

cygnus008 is on a distinguished road
Default Missing file on initial setup of edge tuner

I just got my Gryphon(Edge) tuner and hooked it up. Everything went as it was supposed to until it got to the end of step 4 when it said 'file missing TASC3N4' - 'update required'

I know that its late Friday so PHP is probably closed but maybe someone knows what to do.

I downloaded the Edge Fusion program and got it working and when it saw the tuner it got a message that it had a problem with it and to call tech support.

Is there anything else I can do over the weekend or should i just wait until Monday and talk to PHP

Larry
Seattle
Old Fri, March 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Whopper

Just wondering if there is any update?
Old Fri, March 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Hey Josh...

Well, I tested the unit on our bench PCM and unfortunately it looks like the problem may be some sort of communications incompatibility with your vehicle. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the 18V programming signal line on you harness or some sort of hardware issue in the PCM itself.

At this point we have a couple options:

1) Go with a chip and we can refund you the difference of the two.
2) Wait a few days until we get our X-Cals in and try one of those.
2) Refund your order.

I'm sorry that the Gryphon didn't work for your vehicle but I'm at a loss as to why. Hopefully you'll consider on of the other options but fully understand if you'd like a refund.

Let me know what your thoughts are and how you would like us to proceed.

Take care.

(678) 890-1110

Old Sat, March 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Whopper

I think i would like to go with a chip. I thought about getting an xcal for a while but i have a really bad feeling that the same thing would happen. thats just my luck...

Before i make up my mind though, i have a few questions about the chip. first, what type of tunes would i be getting with the chip? with the chip being less expensive, i may want to get a third tune for economy if that is possible. also, what would be the wait period to get the chip? its not a problem if it is going to be a while, i am just wondering.

Also, i would like to thank you for all of your help with this situation. I dont think i would have gotten this type of customer service anywhere else.