Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road
Checking in to report feedback

Well things have gotten quite busy and I had computer issues a couple weeks back but I did get to try out the programmer very well.

From day 1, after installing I programmed the level 1 trans only tune in. When I went to work I filled up on 93, made my programming specs and such, turned on level 3 and i've enjoyed it ever since. I had a few errors but Bluejay and JackandJanet from the F150online forums helped me resolved them quickly and simply. I love this thing so much, its great. Figures that once I get it that fuel prices rise up a bit Either way, i've been greatly enjoying the programmer. My sad 9.1 0 - 60 record stock has improved to 7.2 on 93 lightly adjusted. Very very happy.

My Chevy buddy got on my back one night and I challenged him to a little race, a bit immature but we had a good time and found out who the faster one was. We lined up on a back road, my Ford whooped his *** by 2 truck lengths! He couldn't believe it and neither could I really. I had him from the start and maintained it up to 90 then let off and he flew by ticked off so I chased after him for some more

I cant wait for my custom tune to be filed, I wanna start burning 87 again, this is getting pricey.
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Glad you are happy with the purchase, yea it sucks that the fuel prices are creeping back up. I was running level 3 at 30 cents more, but got off in the boonies and they only had 87 so I have been on the tow tune for about 2.5 weeks and keep forgetting to run my tank down to empty. I might just hold off for the 87 perf though.
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you are happy with the gryphon!

I also am waiting for the tunes.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Fri, April 3rd, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBFX4 View Post
Glad you are happy with the purchase, yea it sucks that the fuel prices are creeping back up. I was running level 3 at 30 cents more, but got off in the boonies and they only had 87 so I have been on the tow tune for about 2.5 weeks and keep forgetting to run my tank down to empty. I might just hold off for the 87 perf though.
This is for both you AND Darren (and anyone else who cares to read it for that matter).

In spite of the fact that gas prices WILL ultimately go up, pay attention to the spread between regular and hi-test. Here in Arizona, for instance, the difference is about 20 cents. 91 octane costs close to $2.00. It's simple math to figure the percentage difference: Using hi-test as the baseline, 20/200 x 100 = 10%! If the cost of hi-test goes to $3.00, but the difference between it and regular stays about the same: 20/300 x 100 = 6.7% difference! I think, during the last gas price spike, that's about what happened - the price differential was not much different.

So, if you can get better gas mileage using the expensive stuff, you do even better as gas prices rise! Because your mileage improvement percentage stays the same! Sure, you are paying more for a tankful, but we all are.

You can do the math on mileage too. I get about 15.5 mpg on the highway now using 87 and Bill's custom tune. If I chose to burn 91 octane and could get 16.5 mpg, I'd be getting (using the higher mileage as a baseline): 1/16.5 x 100 = 6.06% better mileage. If I was able to get 17.0 using the high-priced stuff, it would be a 1.5 mpg improvement or: 1.5/17 x 100 = 8.8%!

So, it's entirely possible it would cost you less to fill with the expensive stuff if gas prices go up (and they will)!

Keep accurate records, because it might have an effect on your wallet!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
In spite of the fact that gas prices WILL ultimately go up, pay attention to the spread between regular and hi-test. Here in Arizona, for instance, the difference is about 20 cents. 91 octane costs close to $2.00. It's simple math to figure the percentage difference: Using hi-test as the baseline, 20/200 x 100 = 10%! If the cost of hi-test goes to $3.00, but the difference between it and regular stays about the same: 20/300 x 100 = 6.7% difference! I think, during the last gas price spike, that's about what happened - the price differential was not much different.

So, if you can get better gas mileage using the expensive stuff, you do even better as gas prices rise! Because your mileage improvement percentage stays the same! Sure, you are paying more for a tankful, but we all are.

You can do the math on mileage too. I get about 15.5 mpg on the highway now using 87 and Bill's custom tune. If I chose to burn 91 octane and could get 16.5 mpg, I'd be getting (using the higher mileage as a baseline): 1/16.5 x 100 = 6.06% better mileage. If I was able to get 17.0 using the high-priced stuff, it would be a 1.5 mpg improvement or: 1.5/17 x 100 = 8.8%!

So, it's entirely possible it would cost you less to fill with the expensive stuff if gas prices go up (and they will)!

Keep accurate records, because it might have an effect on your wallet!

- Jack
Hey Jack,

Ever thought of publishing a supplemental guide to go along with the gryphon?
The way you lay out your thoughts and numbers on paper is amazing!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, April 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Hey Jack,

Ever thought of publishing a supplemental guide to go along with the gryphon?
The way you lay out your thoughts and numbers on paper is amazing!

Lars
Sorry, buddy - it's just the instructor instinct in me that won't go away!

For some reason, I feel the need to "explain" things, even when I don't know what I'm talking about!

However, the cost/benefit ratio of using high octane gas vs "regular" is pretty straightforward.

I'm MOST interested in submitting to Corey a rewrite of the "Custom Options" section of the Gryphon manual. This COULD be a problem, of course, since it's really an Edge manual and is protected by copyright. But, it is obviously a very poorly understood process, and, I'd like to make it more easy to understand.

I know it's taken me at least a year to absorb what I have about this "feature". And, I'm still not sure I've gotten it right! :o

The engineer in me loves numbers! If the input values are correct, the results don't lie! The trick is to find valid input values. And, it's easy to overlook something or see input data in the wrong way. My thought that HIDs ran "hotter" than normal headlights is an example of that "misthinking".

But, Lars, I appreciate your support, and I enjoy trading thoughts with you!

- Jack
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Great post Jack, I really haven't had the time to run the numbers since I got my gryphon ( I usually do a log everytime I fill up) but just eyeballing it, I am getting better mileage on the higher octane, not sure of the percentage yet. But also I have been having to much fun with it to get some accurate numbers down
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Whopper

tg150 is on a distinguished road

Jack,

I think you rewriting the "Custom Options" for the Gryphon Manual is an EXCELLENT idea!! or heck, the whole manual.. Your right about it being and Edge manual and protected by a copyright. But what if you were to make up your own version, not make it part of the manual but instead offer it to us as your version for PHP forum members. A person that purchases a Gryphon is going to eventually become a member of this forum or already is, so why not offer it here. You can surely charge for it. I'd be willing to purchase one from you..or maybe you can work something out with Corey where she can post it here on the forum...something.. I just dont know if its legal to do or not.. I'm sure it might even cut down on alot of Coreys daily phone calls and Bill's for that matter and they'd be able to get alot more work done.. I dont know what the majority of there calls are for but im sure a good percentage might be about troubleshooting because the manual didnt explain good enough, but i could be wrong.

I know from our PM's alone i printed all your information and im keeping it as a manual per say.. I sure would love if you did something like that and went through every function of the Gryphon in detail. Im sure alot others would to.. Were not all pro's that buy these things, there's alot of rookies, and i'm one of them.

-Tony

2004 Scab Lariat
Leveling Kit, 20"OEM's, Magnaflow SI/DO Exhaust, AirAid Jr Intake Kit, K&N Drop in, PHP Gryphon.

Last edited by tg150; Sat, April 4th, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Bacon King

DarrenWS6 is on a distinguished road

As always, you make great points Jack. That is a good fact to consider. Guess I gotta do more math.
Old Sat, April 4th, 2009, 11:13 PM
PHP Groupie

Tony, I suppose I COULD rewrite the manual, but I wouldn't want to be paid for it. Actually though, much of it is just fine the way it is, there are only parts that need some work. For that reason alone I don't think a complete rewrite is a particularly attractive idea (and, it gets really hard to avoid copying the copyrighted material). My guess is, if I offered the rewrite to PHP and Edge as a gift, they might be willing to take it.

Trouble is, now that we've bought some rental property, I seem to be much, much busier than I was!

- Jack