Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > 6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming

6.0L PSD FICM Reprogramming Power Hungry Performance 6.0L FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) programming has been
the industry standard for in FICM modification almost 10 years.

If you have questions or would like more information about the benefits, please post here.

Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Pursuit Interceptor

HeavyAssault is on a distinguished road

I had mine done quite awhile ago and haven't had the issues described with the newer PHP FICM tuning. Would this third PHP version be something I should get done?
Old Mon, October 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

If the version you have now is working, I'd go with that. The latest flash is to specifically address cold starting issues.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Whopper Junior

Treb is on a distinguished road
Thanks!

eabrust

That "Testing FICM Power" "how to" you made is fantastic. Thanks. I saved and printed that one. It will come in handy. I have an 04 FICM waiting to be tested and sent to PHP if it checks out okay.

Thanks again,

Treb
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Hey Treb,

Hope it helps, I did a lot of searching on the internet and couldn't find anything that described what to check. Bill gave me the hints to go and do it though.

Bill noted to me that the early '03-04 FICMs are also slightly different hardware wise and have up to 7 terminals under the 'monitor port', not just 4.

also note, this check only verifies the power converter side is working, which I believe is the primary failure point for these modules. If a failure occured on the injector driver side, this check wouldn't find it. You'd have to do a buzz test on the injectors, and even that wouldn't differentiate between the FICM and injector directly. I'm guessing that failures happening on the injector driver side are rare (just a guess).

Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Wed, December 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Whopper Junior

apeelectric is on a distinguished road
Default FICM trouble

I was having the same trouble with an 2005 with PHPs tuned FICM put stock one back in now the truck is running fine I think there must be a programming problem I will try to call PHP to get info. Also my truck did not shift right after installing new FICM Bill said it should have nothing to do with FICM but with stock FICM all my troubles went away .
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I am still confused as to why the FICM would cause shifting issues. That's a completely new one for me but one I am definitely investigating. It makes no sense since all the FICM does is control the injectors. The only thing I can think of is that it is affecting the torque output of the engine and causing some shifting related oddities.

Anyway, I'm hoping to test a few new code changes this weekend to see if this clears up, but not exactly sure if we'll be able to identify it unless we're experiencing the problem as well.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, December 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Whopper Junior

k2davis1 is on a distinguished road

Got my FICM from bill on Thursday and so far I got nothin but good to say. Started it this morning at 20 deg and there was one initial plume of smoke and the exhaust was totally cleared up be the time it went to high idle. Havent driven on the e-way too much yet but on the short trip I did take I was gettin 2 mpg better. Feels alittle stronger down low but kinda hard to tell, my arse dyno might not be calibrated. Quicker therottle response for sure.
ARP Studs,Elite Sneaky Pipe
SCT X3 Tuned by IDP & Dfuser
PHP Tuned FICM
Airaid Intake
CFM+ Intake Elbow
ZooDad Mod w/Z-plate
Intense HID Kit
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Double Whopper

NHRA6002 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA6002 View Post
Truck is an absolute pig when started cold and virtualy undriveable til over 120'F. Any ideas on a solution yet Bill?

Hopefully once this is corrected I will go ahead with the custom tunes we talked about in Monroe.
Well it got so bad and I haven't heard anything from Bill that I had to take the truck into the dealership and have the FICM reflashed by them. Now I have a truck that is ok in stock mode but can't use any other levels in my Evo as the truck will smoke and high EGT's even in level 1. Have talked to edge via email and tried new files from them but no success.
The exhaust note has also changed as it sounds like the variable vane is cycling unlike befor when I would start the truck it would at first sound open and throughty and then close off to a hiss. I wonder if Ford has a new program that is not compatable with the Evo?
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 08:25 PM
electro-mechanical geek

eabrust is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA6002 View Post
Well it got so bad and I haven't heard anything from Bill that I had to take the truck into the dealership and have the FICM reflashed by them. Now I have a truck that is ok in stock mode but can't use any other levels in my Evo as the truck will smoke and high EGT's even in level 1. Have talked to edge via email and tried new files from them but no success.
The exhaust note has also changed as it sounds like the variable vane is cycling unlike befor when I would start the truck it would at first sound open and throughty and then close off to a hiss. I wonder if Ford has a new program that is not compatable with the Evo?
Hey NHRA,

did you have your truck put back to stock before you took it in for reflash? Bummer about the tunes not working, but I would guess you need to update your EVO with the Edge fusion software to work with the latest Ford strategy (what is it now, VXCFH9?)

Bummer you sent in your PHP tuned FICM to get put back to stock, but it does prove a point somewhat that the PHP updated FICM has an issue (at least with triggering or keeping inductive heat flash going), where as stock program does not. I haven't been able to prove that out, as I have two FICMs I am swapping between (a stock and a modified), and all I have been able to prove is my bad actor PHP tuned FICM has 48 VDC (hence it seems it is program only, not dying due to power supply or solder joints, etc...)

I am still not running my PHP FICM (for same cold startup issue you had), but am getting closer to hopefully resolving my problem. First, I'm getting my EVO turned into a Gryphon, and following that, what I gather from Bill is that I will then have capability of reprogramming both the FICM and the ECM program via the Gryphon. Second, if I run a custom tune from Bill in the ECM, it will hopefully by default work with the updated FICM program better than the Ford program in the ECM.

I've also been steadily working through the whole 'stiction' issue with these injectors to try to resolve root cause of why it runs like crap cold. Last summer, I was running 15-40 dino oil, my truck would run great on stock FICM & ECM, but putting in the PHP FICM was bad on startup even on 90F days (truck needed warm up time in middle of Summer?...). Put in stock FICM, no problem.... Into winter, I was still running stock, but the truck would run rough for the frist 5+ minutes till EOT came up to ~160F, then it would go good. I got so sick of it needing so much warmup time, that I switched to 5-40 synthetic. That was an improvement, but it still took either some warmup in the driveway, or till engine got to ~120F till it smoothed out and ran good (still about 3-5 miles of driving).

As a side note about my whole injector/crappy startup issue and resolving root cause, about 200 miles ago, I drained 2 qts of the synthetic oil I'm running now (halfway into 5,000 miles service of this change), and added a product that claims to solve the injector stiction issue (I won't name it here yet, I don't want to advertise it, as I haven't had it in there long enough to claim anything as a matter of fact. However, if you do a search via google, you'll most likely find it discussed on most other forums out there, that's how I found it). The only thing I'll say about it is, currently, I hop in the truck, start it and go and it runs fairly well out of the gate with no warmup. I won't claim success until I can either put in the PHP FICM and it runs great cold (would mean injectors aren't sticking anymore even though inductive heat strategy isn't working), or untill truck continues to run great on stock programs after next oil change after this product has been dumped and replaced with all fresh oil. BTW, the product recommends leaving it in for a full 5000 mile change to fully do it's thing of removing oil deposits, etc, so it is definitely to early for me to endorse it at all, but it does seem promising given how my truck runs currently.

regards,
Eric
EGR deleted
Bypass coolant and oil filters
4" Turboback
Old Tue, March 9th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Double Whopper

NHRA6002 is on a distinguished road

Yes the truck was put back to stock befor taking it back to the dealer. And yes I have updated the software from Edge 2 or 3 times now as directed by GR at Edge. I have been in contact with Edge trying to remedy this if it is an Edge hardware issue also.
It is frustrating to spend the time and money on a programmer and FICM tuning just to have a stock truck with digital gauges. And now with this latest Ford flash the further worsening fuel milage.