Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, June 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Whopper

TJ05FX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Forced Induction Custom Tunes??

While I still wait patiently for my two custom tunes I ordered from PHP, I have noticed that with the downturn in the economy a lot of parts are becoming a little more affordable.

I have been tossing around the idea of forced induction on my truck for awhile. I've built Supras for the past 8 or so years, so I enjoy boost quite a bit

I've noticed the maggie kits are around 3k and the Roush kits are around 4k now. However, the one big complaint everyone has is the tunes that come with the kits are crap. Plus they have to send the PCM back to the company to have them do it and possibly redo it later.

I noticed on the order form, there is a spot for forced induction options. I would love to be able to keep my Gryphon programmer after I upgrade to the charger later on this year or early next year, but wasn't sure if that was an option or how well and comfortable Bill was at doing that on a mail order custom tune.

Anyone had this done or can offer any insight? Or even Mr. Busy Programmer himself?
Old Fri, June 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'm quite certain that Bill can write tunes for forced induction systems. But, I suspect they would not be good for a system without forced induction, and forced induction without the tune would likely be lean?

I'm sort of guessing here, but am basing my statements on something Bill said a long while back regarding adding blowers to engines.

Feels kind of like a "chicken and egg" problem. However, I also feel Bill CAN sort things out, if you want to call him about it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, June 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Whopper

Well I had planned on using the tunes I have aready ordered for the next 6-8 months or so and then just before I expect to get the charger, go ahead and order the custom tune for 93 on the charger. Then I can just upload it to the truck after the install is complete.

I think that way would be no waiting on tunes after its installed and certainly no shipping of a PCM and being without the truck for an extended period of time.

That and keeping my business with PHP would be ideal too
Old Fri, June 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Cool! DO talk to Bill about this. He may have ideas that will save you money or, get more "bang" for your buck!

- Jack
Old Sat, June 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

It was quite common with the 97-03 to have to send the PCM in.
However through your research you should have found that most sc come with a hand held tuner now. Also I agree the tunes from the sc mfgr are basic but they had a lawyer watching them when they were written.

BTW where are you finding the low prices?

CHARGED97 has a sc and tunes written by Bill. Try to visit his user cp and leave him a message or pm him.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sat, June 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Whopper

Both of the kits I have found on ebay direct from Magnacharger and Roush. So not just some random company that issn't authorized to be doing it.

Both the maggie and the roush both require the PCM being sent back to their tuners for my 05 application. The maggie does have a handheld option, but its more and with all the complaints I've heard about the tune they give you, just flat out not worth it.

I know that ideally I would want someone able to tune it on a dyno and be right there with the truck, but I don't need perfection and an absolutely perfect A/F curve across the board. Just something that will work and perform well and put down some good numbers and maybe humiliate a few unsuspecting people
Old Sat, June 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
PHP Groupie

I liked the answer Lars gave you, TJ. Send a PM to CHARGED97 and ask what he had to do.

I honestly think Bill can tune these things for a blower without having the PCM in his hot hands.

- Jack
Old Sat, June 13th, 2009, 10:42 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I see now ONELOWF is now a member he also has great advice!

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.