Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Whopper Junior

zipzuman is on a distinguished road
Default engine builder/crate?

What options do I have to rebuild my 2000 7.3? It has about 350,000 miles on it. I’m looking for a quality builder, or crate engine. I’ve heard pros and cons on Jasper engines, but I’ve heard nothing about Fred Jones. Again, I’m looking for a quality machine shop/builder.
The engine wasn’t well maintained, but the truck is worth the time & money. The ole girl is just getting tired.
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 07:04 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I wish I could help.

I haven't got any experience with rebuilding one of these but for my gassers I always put them together myself but had a local machine shop do all of the metal work.

I think 907dave had Wide Open Performance do his, but they are located across the country from where you're at.

Maybe he'll chime in with a few ideas for you.
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

There are many different routes you can go with this, the cheapest way is to have a reputable local machine shop do the machine work and you can do the assembly. These engines (diesel) are not really much different from any other, and only thing you really need to pay attention to is all your measurements/ clearances as with any other build.

Another option would be to have your local machine shop do the entire build. Many machine shops offer a warranty with there work which can be nice if you run into any issues in the future.

Next would be to have one of the big name diesel shops (Swamps, Wide Open Performance, Stauffer Diesel) do the build. Only issue with this is if there is ANY issues there can be problems getting them resolved because they are not local. Local guys just seem to be more willing to help you out.

An then there are your "crate" engines which I am always a little leery of. These shops are all about banging engines out, and the attention to detail might not be as good as others. Also, if there are any issue's with the engine it can be a SOB to get it resolved. Ask me how I know.

I prefer to do the build myself, this way I know everything is done right. I had the local guys do the machine work, and I did the final assembly. But if you go this route be sure you are capable of checking all the machine work, and properly assembling the engine.

Good Luck!
Old Sun, August 1st, 2010, 07:08 PM
Whopper

Bushwakd is on a distinguished road

Tidewater Engine Rebuilder is located in Norfolk, Virginia. They supply engines to UPS, The Govt and Military. They sell on Ebay also under Blackwater engines.96-03 FORD 7.3 POWERSTROKE REMAN DIESEL ENGINE : eBay Motors (item 250468652847 end time Aug-14-10 04:43:10 PDT) Read the description of the rebuild in the Ebay ad.
The BBB rated them with an A- on a scale of A-F.
The Smoke Don't Mean It's Broke
419 hp/858 tq