Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, December 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Whopper

tpearia is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny question

Just got my FU installed on my truck, and I noticed, especially with some of the more aggressive tunes, when shifting the tranny seems to sort of slide down in the rpms a bit before hitting the next gear quite hard.

I was wondering if this is just sort of how these trucks react to an aggressive tune, like maybe part of the tune, or if its just a product of a tired tranny.

Thanks for any input!
Old Mon, December 27th, 2010, 11:23 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

How agressive of a tune are you talking about? Have done any mods to the tranny (shift kit/torque converter)?
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Whopper

Its a 140 tune, on a stock auto tranny.
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Whopper

Check that, it does some fairly erratic stuff on all the the tunes. Wierd.
Old Mon, January 3rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
God & Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearia View Post
Its a 140 tune, on a stock auto tranny.
No, no, no...I recommend taking that chip off (unless you can resist the urge to put it on 140) before you tear that transmission up. I would not go over 75-80 on a stock transmission IMO.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Tue, January 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

What is your invoice number?
Old Wed, January 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Whopper

Invoice number 3833.

Only reason I had the 140 on it was just to check it out. Not something Ill use on a regular basis. Its a hauler not a hotrod. lol

Seems to do it with any tune really. Been driving with the fuel sipper tune, and it just seems whenever it shifts, not sure how to describe it, maybe locks the converter up immediatly? It goes into the next gear ok, for a second, and then the rpms drop way down, in somewhat of a jerk, almost bogging the truck. Does it under normal and moderate throttle.
Old Thu, January 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
God & Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearia View Post
Invoice number 3833.

Only reason I had the 140 on it was just to check it out. Not something Ill use on a regular basis. Its a hauler not a hotrod. lol

Seems to do it with any tune really. Been driving with the fuel sipper tune, and it just seems whenever it shifts, not sure how to describe it, maybe locks the converter up immediatly? It goes into the next gear ok, for a second, and then the rpms drop way down, in somewhat of a jerk, almost bogging the truck. Does it under normal and moderate throttle.

Sounds like the way your programming for your shift points were done.

According to my OHD, 140 is my fuel sipper. 80DD doesn't seem to do anything over stock except adjust shift points
Old Thu, January 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

You are using the most popular hex code we have for the FU, VRAA6S3 (PMT1). It is the same exact version of the program that every other PMT1 FU customer has access to. If there is something strange going on with the shifts, it would occur in every truck that is using the VRAA6S3 tunes with their FU. Is your transmission modified in any way? Sometimes shift kits will cause what you describe.
Old Thu, January 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Whopper

Its a PMT2. No tranny mods that im aware of, doesnt feel like a shift kit.

It does have (slightly) different tire size on it from stock, which was given on the order form, if that makes any difference.

If I just knew that maybe the converter locking up sooner or something is causing what im feeling, thats fine. I have no issues with it as long as i know thats what its supposed to feel like.

Thanks!