Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 10:22 AM
Double Whopper

mod11 is on a distinguished road
Help wastegate

My 2000 f350 seems extremely loud at times like the wastegate is wide open,do they get sticky or hang up?Adjustments?The truck has 230000 miles on it with php 6pos tunes and stage one injectors.Sometimes I hear a flutter type noise also which worries me.Almost sounds like a valve spring is weak,I've visually checked them and see no broken springs.Maybe the wastegate making he noise?
Thanks in advance
Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you might be hearing the EBPV. It is a butterfly type valve just after the turbo. It is supposed to aid in warmup by providing a load for the engine. Has it recently gotten colder in your area? If my memory is right, the EBPV is activated when EOT and ambient air both drop below a certain temp. If this is your first winter with a non-stock exhaust it can certainly surprise you when you first hear it. Some people unplug it so it doesn't activate and others completely gut it from the truck. It can be off and on as your driving as sometime it 'blows' open. It really sounds like the EBPV and I don't think you have anything to worry unless it never goes away. With the colder weather it can take nearly 15+ minutes for me to get EOT up warm enough on my '95 that it quits.
Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 04:30 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

Can you take a video of it? Do you have a boost gauge?
Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Double Whopper

mod11 is on a distinguished road

Yes it is damn cold hear in Michigan,on warm up it is normal for me to hear it kick on and off.Now I hear it driving down the road.3.5 in to a 4in out the back,you can really hear it.I don,t have boost gauges and no way to video.
Don,t you loose boost if it opens?
Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 11:55 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

Well I would get some gauges so you can see whats going on. As to the flap maybe reach on the turbo and see if its flopping around. If I remember there's a video on utube that shows you what it sounds like when its closed.
Old Thu, February 10th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Whopper Junior

bbrown is on a distinguished road
Default I have been there

This is my first post so I hope it works. After purchasing new intercooler boots from dieselsite $300 and a new waste gate control $150 and a wicked wheel. I found that an ATS turbo housing will take care of the issue and more. This is one of the only mods I have been glad I did. It will fix turbo surge and will also reduce squeel from intercooler boots. Trust me it is not the waste gate.