Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Wed, September 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Whopper

JBWelding is on a distinguished road
Default 96 With coolant leak

Hello everyone,

I have a 96 F-450 7.3 that has a crack in the front engine cover right in the thin part of the top bolt boss, where the top bolt for the oil cooler goes.

My question is does the engine have to come out to r&r the cover? My manual says so.

If this is the case I will look real hard at a repair weld with cover and engine still in the vehicle, just don't want to ruin a cover to engine gasget.

Anybody familar with the front cover?

Thanks for any advice you may have.

John.
Old Wed, September 9th, 2009, 02:04 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

To get the front cover off, the oil pan seal needs to be cut. Resealing this is a hit-or-miss kind of deal and usually results in an oil leak. Unfortunately, the engine has to be removed to remove the oil pan. Sorry for the news.
Old Wed, September 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Whopper

Thanks for the info Cleatus12r, thats what I have been told just thought I'd try. If the in the vehicle repair doesn't work guess I'll make some room for downtime.

Thanks, John.
Old Wed, September 9th, 2009, 05:15 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Let me know if you need any pictures of parts so you can get an idea of what you need to look for (bolt locations, etc.). I have spare parts all over the place.
Old Wed, September 9th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Whopper

Big Bird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Let me know if you need any pictures of parts so you can get an idea of what you need to look for (bolt locations, etc.). I have spare parts all over the place.
I would like some, but you won't need your camera... just send the parts. lol.
Old Thu, September 10th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Whopper

Cleatus12R,

Thanks, if you think it would be beneficial for a first timer some things to look for.
This is my welding rig so I have to be smart on the downtime, it needs another clutch and planed on replacing ujoints and center bearing this time around.
The engine fuel lines need to be replaced along with the fuel pump orings, so there is some general maintence that needs to be done, but once again I will take a good hard look at the in vehicle repair. If it doesn't work I'll just have to jump in and get my feet wet.
This truck is a 450 with a close ratio 5 speed transmission. Question, has anybody bolted on a six speed that has close to the same internal gear ratios? Just looking for one more gear at 70mph 2500-2700 rpm.
Thanks, John.