Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, April 12th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Whopper Junior

tjbeggs is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 with PHP Hydra- hunting gears

2003 F-250 4R100- Just purchased Hydra with PHP library tunes from 1023. Installed good no issues. box code VDH5, actual Hex code TNAA7S3 using recommended hex of TNAA4S2

The only issue I have experienced is that on many of the tunes while driving 65mph if I mat the throttle to WOT the trans will downshift as expected then immediately upshift then back down and up again. it will continue this until I left off or up on the throttle. I have tested on nearly all tunes 65HP and higher with the same result. Stock tune does not do this. I have not checked the tunes between stock and 65hp yet. I am running all stock valve body tunes but for testing I did install 2 80hp tunes with modified VB tunes. Still hunts for gear in this condition. Truck makes good power and drives very nice with the tunes. This appears to be the only issue.
I can do any testing needed and fairly knowledge about these trucks (tjbeggs on FTE). Let me know what you need to know to help solve this issues. Thanks!
Old Mon, April 12th, 2021, 03:45 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Good afternoon.

I'll be happy to take a look at what's going on with the shifting. For clarification, this is only occurring when going wide open throttle, or does it also have issues at heavy throttle just shy of full throttle? I as because the WOT kickdown is handled differently than the standard shifts.

Also, do you have any way to distinctly identify if it's a shift or if it's a converter lock that is causing the issue? They can often feel the same, but are handled very differently. If you have access to a scan tool that can display gear and converter status, that would be super helpful.

Let me know.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, April 12th, 2021, 05:01 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks Bill! I just did a test drive and determined that it is only WOT. If I go WOT it will hunt and then stop if I lift just ever so slightly. Heavy tip also will not hunt. Just downshift and go as you would expect. Torque converter is staying locked and its hunting between 3rd and 4th. See attached picture of data recording.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210412_174941.jpg (1.83 MB, 11 views)
Old Mon, April 19th, 2021, 09:02 AM
Whopper Junior

Just checking in to see if you had a chance to work on this? Thanks!
Old Thu, April 28th, 2022, 01:43 PM
Whopper Junior

Krazy84 is on a distinguished road

was wondering if this issue was ever resolved, having some what of the same myself
Old Sun, June 5th, 2022, 09:53 AM
Whopper Junior

Patterson73 is on a distinguished road

try the "Hybrid Shift Strategy" tunes.