Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Wed, November 25th, 2009, 11:57 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough
Default More ?'s

1. Can this program be used to disable trouble code's?

I have a few things that have gotten removed over the years and they trip codes. Not a big deal because they wont turn on the CEL, but they can be quite annoying when watching datastream while driving. About every 30 sec. or so the scanner will pop up a message saying DTC triggered than begin to record pid's. This can be aggravating when I am focused on a certain thing. The codes that it is triggering is for the Air Intake Heater, Wastegate Solenoid, and EBPV. There might be more but cannot remember.

2. Can you change the programming to alter when the wastegate solenoid is activated?

I have twin turbo's and have only one wastegate on the primary charger, and the gate is being controlled with a manual controller. I plan to add a second gate to the secondary charger and thought it would be pretty cool if it could be controlled with the factory solenoid.

3. Can the programming be changed so I dont have to run a boost fooler, and how would this effect everything else?

I think thats all for now but I know there will be more.
Old Thu, November 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
1. Can this program be used to disable trouble code's?Yes. However, most codes are disabled in different ways. I AM NOT CLAIMING THE FOLLOWING TO BE GUARANTEED FIXES FOR YOUR PROBLEMS. BILL IS THE FINAL AUTHORITY HERE. I HAVE CHANGED THESE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.

I have a few things that have gotten removed over the years and they trip codes. Not a big deal because they wont turn on the CEL, but they can be quite annoying when watching datastream while driving. About every 30 sec. or so the scanner will pop up a message saying DTC triggered than begin to record pid's. This can be aggravating when I am focused on a certain thing. The codes that it is triggering is for the Air Intake Heater, Wastegate Solenoid, and EBPV. There might be more but cannot remember.
If you're scanning with an OTC Genisys, then it's a real pain since the code will trigger a freeze frame and the data stream locks up for about 30-45 seconds.

The EBP code can usually be taken care of by lowering the "Exhaust Backpressure Operating Range Low" parameter from "8" to "0" because the "8" causes the PCM to detect an open circuit of zero return volts. By lowering the parameter to "0", the PCM should ignore the open circuit as a problem.

I don't know about the AIH. I haven't dug that far into it yet. If I find it, I'll let you know.

2. Can you change the programming to alter when the wastegate solenoid is activated? Yes. The Wastegate Control Duty Cycle map is used to control this. Keep in mind that the LOWER the duty cycle, the HIGHER the flow through the solenoid valve to the wastegate actuator.

I have twin turbo's and have only one wastegate on the primary charger, and the gate is being controlled with a manual controller. I plan to add a second gate to the secondary charger and thought it would be pretty cool if it could be controlled with the factory solenoid. I don't see why that wouldn't work as long as you use a stock-style wastegate control solenoid valve. To actually shut off the wastegate control, you can go to the "YWG" parameter and change it to "0". The same holds true for the exhaust backpressure parameter...."YEBP".

3. Can the programming be changed so I dont have to run a boost fooler, and how would this effect everything else? The MAP Transfer function. If you get in the table view (F6) it should be pretty self-explanatory. Basically, the PCM uses the input voltage of the MAP sensor (0-1023 A/D counts is 0-5 volts) and cross-transfers that into a pressure in KPa. Keep in mind that this is an "absolute" pressure so actual "gauge" pressure will be absolute minus atmospheric pressure. You can also raise the MAP Max Desired input parameter to more than 270 KPa (350 or so). Also be aware that the MAP sensor only reads to a certain point anyway....anything above I think 25-27 PSI outputs the same 5.0V to the PCM.

I think thats all for now but I know there will be more.

Good luck with the above. Like I said, these aren't guaranteed to work but I haven't had any trouble running this way.
Old Thu, November 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM
BROKE

Yes I am using the Genisis and it is very annoying how the data stream locks. Also the damn thing will just completely stop and then return to the start up menu........but only on my truck. Never experienced this on any other rig. I have been wanting to upgrade to something a little newer with a built in labscope like the Verus, but it is way to much for my wallet.

As for the map sensor the only reason I would want to enable it to see higher boost is so I can use the factory wastegate setup. If it will read 25-27 PSI that will be perfect, thats about where my drive pressure on the secondary starts to get a little high and just gets worse from there. Looks like I have some experimenting to do, but I need to focus on one thing at a time.
Old Fri, November 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I went to a scan tool demonstration the other night and just about had myself convinced I needed a Verus.
It would be handy as hell. A scanner....Windows XP....a 4-channel scope.....all of my tuning software on it instead of the home laptop where my wife can accidentally delete stuff (yes, she actually does that).

Don't get me started on wanting one again.......
Old Fri, November 27th, 2009, 07:32 PM
BROKE

Alright got a couple more for ya:

What is the reason for the reflash when installing a LL injector in #8?

What happens when a regular injector is installed in #8 with the reflash?

What are the effects of the blue CMP sensor?
I have read that timing will be retarded when using it but cannot understand why.

Let me explain, I have been chasing a random miss on the # 8 cyl. The miss is only noticeable @ idle and comes and goes with a rhythm to it. I was thinking/ reading about IPR duty cycle being to high(dual hpop's). Also read about people experiencing this with the "new" gray cps which I currently have. I purchased the blue on from international remembering the fad from a couple years ago, only to discover that there were alleged issues with them. Then started thinking about the reflash for the LL, and curious what changes were needed. WOW... a little jumbled but hope it makes sense.
Old Sat, November 28th, 2009, 01:16 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

There is almost zero change between the LL8 and non-LL8 programs. In fact, the reflash can be (and often is) used whether or not you had the LL8 injector installed.

The reason for the blue CPS timing shift may be related to how the sensors are manufactured, with some folks speculating that the output signal from the sensor is not quite as strong as the black CPS while other think it might just be that the inductor is shifted a little bit in the sensor housing. I don't think anyone really has an answer on that.

Not sure what the cause for your miss is. Can you isolate it to a specific cylinder?

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, November 28th, 2009, 01:28 AM
BROKE

It is consistently #8 cyl. Strange because it only happens when warm, I have changed injectors thinking it was a worn poppet, but there was no noticeable change. Whats even stranger is how it "rolls through" the miss. Like it runs smooth than will miss for a few seconds than run smooth again. But sometimes it will be a steady miss. I have a couple programs with reduced ICP duty cycle than I will try and see if I can get a change. But all this talk of the grey CPS causing a miss on #8 got me wondering if this could be my issue.
Old Sat, November 28th, 2009, 08:46 PM
BROKE

Well here's a video. This is the best I can get it with dropping ICP duty cycle. Kinda hard to tell from the vid but listen closely.

Last edited by 907DAVE; Tue, December 1st, 2009 at 01:14 AM.
Old Sat, November 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
BROKE

Sweet.... got it working now, thanks Bill!

After many attempts I have been able to get the idle pretty smooth by dropping ICP + duty cycle+ PW just a tad at idle.

Why is this?

Last edited by 907DAVE; Tue, December 1st, 2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old Sun, December 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

My guess is that the maps you listed are just a bit too "much" for a desired idle speed of whatever is programmed. When the maps ask for too much of something but the idle speed is commanded to be lower than what is able to be maintained with the higher PW in the map the PCM constantly tries to correct itself. There's a reason the "lope" tune works the way it does......

By the way, have you adjusted any parameters that I listed above?