Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994½ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Old Thu, May 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Whopper

Thinbluelinetx is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission question

A couple of days ago I got my transmission and rear diff flushed. The tech showed me the tranny pan and pointed out that there was alot of clutch dust in the bottom of the pan. I assume that means the clutch plates are wearing out. Is this an expensive job to fix? Can the clutch plates alone be replaced or would this be a more extensive rebuild? The truck is a '97 F-350 w/ 155,000 mi. Thanks in advance.
Old Thu, May 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Whopper

cowboy_dan is on a distinguished road

Every pan I've ever pulled had a lot of fuzz on the magnet, or 'dust' in the bottom for those that didn't have a magnet.

That said, if the transmission hasn't been rebuilt or replaced in 155,000 mi, you might start saving for it now. Mine lasted over 220k, and it was REALLY bad when I finally got it rebuilt ( I put about 8-10k on it before rebuild). My frictions were worn paper thin and missing chunks of material, the steels were rainbow colored and shaped like boomerangs, and the fluid in 3000 miles was horribly burned. Trans temp on the way to BTS ran consistently 120 degrees over ambient in 110 degree weather.

Replacing clutches is one of the biggest components of a transmission rebuild process. To get them all, the transmission has to be completely disassembled, so it'll take new seals.
Add in a few upgraded parts, thorough cleaning, valve body, torque converter, and transmission pump, and it's a full rebuild with some improvements.
Old Thu, May 13th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Whopper

Thinbluelinetx is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Dan. What would be a ballpark figure for the cost of the rebuild? I was thinking maybe 2-3k. I'd like to spend a little more to beef up the tranny if I'm going to end up spending that much anyway.
Old Thu, May 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Whopper

cowboy_dan is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delay.
2-3 grand would probably cover most rebuilds.
Some places will sell you the parts to do it yourself if you have the time & patience. RacerX is one that comes to mind. He built an E4OD that is in a 7.3L pulling truck on giggle gas. Last I heard it was doing fine. Others making over 400hp have used his kits & instructions with good results.