Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2009 to 2014 F-150

2009 to 2014 F-150 3.5L, 3.7L, 4.6L, 5.0L, 5.4L, and 6.2L equipped F-150s

Old Sun, July 3rd, 2011, 10:39 PM
Black Platinum

DeereGeff is on a distinguished road
Default Stock Rev Limiter

Anybody know what the stock rev limiter is set at on a 2009 5.4L? Just got my custom tune in and wanted to check to make sure my rev limiter is set correctly.
Old Mon, July 4th, 2011, 09:08 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereGeff View Post
Anybody know what the stock rev limiter is set at on a 2009 5.4L? Just got my custom tune in and wanted to check to make sure my rev limiter is set correctly.
It should probably be in the 5300-5500 range. I believe you can see what it is if you load the "stock tune" and go into the "Custom Options" menu - I think the CS/CTS platforms let you do that. Don't change anything, but see what it says.

If it's at 4200, as some members have reported, that's way too low.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, July 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Black Platinum

DeereGeff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
It should probably be in the 5300-5500 range. I believe you can see what it is if you load the "stock tune" and go into the "Custom Options" menu - I think the CS/CTS platforms let you do that. Don't change anything, but see what it says.

If it's at 4200, as some members have reported, that's way too low.

- Jack
I was thinking in the 5200 - 5300 range, but wanted to be sure since I still have warranty remaining on my truck. I checked the stock setting and it did say 42xx on it, which I was sure was too low.

Anybody else with ideas on the stock setting?
Old Tue, July 5th, 2011, 08:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeereGeff View Post
I was thinking in the 5200 - 5300 range, but wanted to be sure since I still have warranty remaining on my truck. I checked the stock setting and it did say 42xx on it, which I was sure was too low.

Anybody else with ideas on the stock setting?
I really don't know what Ford set it to, and I don't blame you for trying to get a better number on this (after all, who am I? Just a Mod on this forum that thinks he knows where the rev limit should be on pre 09 trucks.) But, since the 6th gear ratio in 09+ trucks is no different than the 4th gear ratio in earlier trucks, there's no way 4200 would work at all. AND, I'm certain this is not where Ford put it. I think that's where Edge put it (in a programming error)?

Bill or Cody would probably be your best source for the REAL appropriate limit, but I know from past posts from Bill that he's driven the engines to 6000, with no ill effects. This actually sounds a bit extreme to me. The limit I gave you was related to the Torque Converter on the older models. It starts to balloon at 5400. I think that region is a pretty safe setting, and I personally, would not go higher.

Like you though, I'm happy to hear opinions from others. I simply ask that you justify your numbers with SOME reason, ideally, engineering data. My 5400 figure is really quite old and is from a post from Mike Troyer at Troyer Performance - it may well be no longer valid for newer drivetrains.

- Jack
Old Tue, January 24th, 2012, 09:27 PM
2010F150

Longhorn is on a distinguished road
Default Ever get an answer?

I just received my custom tunes for my 2010 F150. The rev limiter on my E87 performance tune that was sent to me is set at 4306. Is this too low?! At WOT my truck gives out before I get out of 1st gear! Did yall ever find an answer to what is the ideal setting for the rev limiter on the 09+? Thanks!
Old Wed, January 25th, 2012, 12:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Yes, that is too low. You are not the first to report that somehow, in building the tunes for this device, the rev limit ends up too low despite PHP's knowing it should be higher. Cody can rewrite the tune with a better rev limit, but you'll have to wait for Bill to load the tune on the Fusion server.

In the meantime, I recommend you manually set your rev limit to 5500 RPM.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 25th, 2012, 12:17 PM
2010F150

Longhorn is on a distinguished road

If I change the rev limit manually while programming does that change anything else about the tune like shift points, etc? If not, then there is really no reason for him to write me a new tune, correct? I know they're some of the busiest people on the planet!! If this is the case, I dont mind just setting it myself and going on with life! Let me know what you think! Thanks for your help!
Old Thu, January 26th, 2012, 03:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
If I change the rev limit manually while programming does that change anything else about the tune like shift points, etc? If not, then there is really no reason for him to write me a new tune, correct? I know they're some of the busiest people on the planet!! If this is the case, I dont mind just setting it myself and going on with life! Let me know what you think! Thanks for your help!
When you change the rev limit, that's the only thing that changes. You're right too - if the rev limit's the only problem and you can fix it in the Custom Options, there IS no reason to have your tunes rewritten. However, I think it's a fairly simple fix. Cody's done it at least a couple of times that I know. Still, you have to wait for the revised tune to be uploaded onto the Fusion server and only Bill can do that.

- Jack
Old Tue, April 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
2010 F150 5.4l

are-jay180 is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 f-150 5.4l Not shifting up

I adressed the problem with my rev limiter being set to low (4200) by increasing it to 5500 in the custom tune settings, but it still wont shift from 2nd to 3rd, it just hits the rev limiter (at 5500), any help would be much appreciated, I am running an Edge CTS w/ K&N Intake and Magnaflow Exhaust (Single to Dual Side Exit)
Thanks!
Old Tue, May 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM
Double Whopper

lucky79 is on a distinguished road

Try setting your rev limit to 5250, that should be Ford's specs that Edge uses in the '09 5.4L models. The only reason I say this is because i had mine at 5400 and it was still shifting acting goofey. Spoke with Edge and they told me to try 5250 (Ford's stock rev limit) and it works well thus far. Hope this helps.