Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, May 1st, 2012, 04:23 PM
Whopper

Redeye is on a distinguished road
Help Gryphon acting weird....

I've started having booting problems with my Gryphon and unfortunately I can't seem to pinpoint a cause. Sometimes it tries to boot and stays at the startup screen, sometimes it gets past the starup screen but the screen is blank and sometimes it doesn't appear to do anything at all. Now for the bad part, this can happen when I don't use the vehicle for a few days....when the vehicle is very cold...and even more so recently when the vehicle is hot (outside temp). Most of the time it can be cured by turning the vehicle off, unplugging, turning key to on, and replugging, in which case it always shows the hex code screen. But sometimes it takes more than one try in order to get it working again. Battery, charging system, and OBDII cable appear to be OK. Is the thing just getting old (4 yrs) or is there something that is in need of fixing? (Oh yeah, 08 Ford F-150)
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Mike,

Not sure what the story is there. Often times we'll see erratic behavior from the device when battery voltage is dropping below the brown-out points of the processor and voltage regulator circuits. This is usually caused by a battery concern. I had similar issues with my Expedition and shortly after the programmer issues arose (a few weeks I think) I ended up with a dead battery. This has happened twice since we owned the Expedition and both times it was a precursor to a battery concern.

Now I am not saying that you definitely have a bad battery, but historically it's shown that it may be something you want to investigate. If all that checks out, we can RMA the device and see about getting it repaired. I know our Gryphon still works like a champ and it's almost 5 years old, but we don't have the heat that you do either.

Please be aware that it's long since out of warranty, but if there is a problem with the circuit board, it can be replaced for about $200, which is still far less than purchasing a new programmer.

Anyway, let me know what you find and we'll help however we can.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 10:44 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'll add to this. It sounds like a weak battery to me too. Try to have your battery load tested - it can be done free at most automotive stores. I think the Gryphon is very sensitive to low battery voltage at power-on. In many ways, I see this as a good thing, an early indication of impending battery failure.

One other thing you can do is check the no-load resting voltage on the battery after any "surface charge" has worn off and the vehicle's electronics have all gone to sleep. After driving the truck, open the hood and then wait about three hours. Without opening any doors, check the voltage at the battery terminals with a multimeter. Anything less than 12.6V is an indication of a weak battery.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Whopper

Thanks Bill and Jack for your quick response.....I'll keep an eye on the battery and see if that proves to be the problem. Checked it this morning after sitting all nite and it read 13 volts on the nose. I know that's getting close so maybe the battery is the villain. Everything is working fine so far today and had it out the heat for a while....

Mike

P.S. By the way Bill, I misspoke....I have an EVO that has been upgraded to a Gryphon....should it come to that does it still qualify for an RMA# ?
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We can still RMA it, it's just not under warranty. If something need to be replaced there would just be parts costs.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
Thanks Bill and Jack for your quick response.....I'll keep an eye on the battery and see if that proves to be the problem. Checked it this morning after sitting all nite and it read 13 volts on the nose. I know that's getting close so maybe the battery is the villain. Everything is working fine so far today and had it out the heat for a while....

Mike

P.S. By the way Bill, I misspoke....I have an EVO that has been upgraded to a Gryphon....should it come to that does it still qualify for an RMA# ?
I'm getting confused now. 13V is high for a "resting" battery. Can you confirm this was a voltage meter reading (not one from the Gryphon) that was taken across the battery terminals with the engine off? Normally, a fully charged new battery will read 12.7V in this state.

- Jack
Old Wed, June 13th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Whopper Junior

Mutt182 is on a distinguished road
Default same problem

I am having the same problem as mentioned above. My gryphon is approaching two years old and it is a 05 SuperCab. But it has started intermittently with a blank screen, I thought it was the Texas heat because it did it a few times last summer, and now it has started it again. I am going to have the battery checked as recommended and see if that fixes it.
Old Mon, June 25th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Mike,

Not sure what the story is there. Often times we'll see erratic behavior from the device when battery voltage is dropping below the brown-out points of the processor and voltage regulator circuits. This is usually caused by a battery concern. I had similar issues with my Expedition and shortly after the programmer issues arose (a few weeks I think) I ended up with a dead battery. This has happened twice since we owned the Expedition and both times it was a precursor to a battery concern.

Now I am not saying that you definitely have a bad battery, but historically it's shown that it may be something you want to investigate. If all that checks out, we can RMA the device and see about getting it repaired. I know our Gryphon still works like a champ and it's almost 5 years old, but we don't have the heat that you do either.

Please be aware that it's long since out of warranty, but if there is a problem with the circuit board, it can be replaced for about $200, which is still far less than purchasing a new programmer.

Anyway, let me know what you find and we'll help however we can.

Take care.
Bill, my Gryphon has stopped working. The only thing that happens now is the backlight comes on and will not go off when I turn off the key. I tried Pegasus but after by-passing the error screen and trying to reload my custom tunes I get a message something like "cannot determine what state (level)the programmer is in". Please advise where I should go from here. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I sent you an email basically stating the same thing but I know how busy you are and figured I'd try this also.
Old Mon, June 25th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Bill, my Gryphon has stopped working. The only thing that happens now is the backlight comes on and will not go off when I turn off the key. I tried Pegasus but after by-passing the error screen and trying to reload my custom tunes I get a message something like "cannot determine what state (level)the programmer is in". Please advise where I should go from here. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I sent you an email basically stating the same thing but I know how busy you are and figured I'd try this also.
Sorry, forgot to say that I replaced my battery so I don't believe that's part of the problem.
Old Mon, June 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:

This (what I've bolded) is a "classic" symptom of a failing battery. If your battery is new, it could be that one or more of the connections to it are poor. One place specifically to check is the connection by the ground cable to the vehicle. This connection point is down under the vehicle and is very subject to corrosion and other problems that create a poor electrical contact.

If that 13 Volt reading you had in a previous post was with the engine running, your alternator is not charging properly. A normal value is 13.8-14.2 Volts.

Also, make sure the ignition is ON (engine off) when you plug the Gryphon into the OBDII port. The Gryphon needs this to boot properly when first plugged in.

The blank screen could also be the result of an incomplete download that corrupted one or more of the files when you tried updating it with Pegasus. If that is the case, Bill will have to set up a "special" download for you.

- Jack