Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, November 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I remember the transmission from another thread, I think. I'm still just as puzzled as you as to why the version number in the stock tune has to change.

But unless this is a totally new calibration, you SHOULD be able to operate your truck on canned tunes while you're waiting for your custom tunes to be rebuilt. (And, it won't cause any problem with your custom tunes either.)

Just start Pegasus, connect the Gryphon and click on [Update]->[Gryphon Update Manager]. Allow Pegasus to update BOTH your firmware and your calibrations (the tunes). Then, you SHOULD be able to reprogram your truck above "stock", and I would recommend the Level 2 "tow" tune as a very good all-around tune.

You should also update your registration in Pegasus with the new hex code. This MAY need to be done before you update the Gryphon itself, and I think it's automatic with the Gryphon plugged in if you click on [Help]->[Registration], then possibly [Clear] to remove the old data and [Retrieve] to transfer the new data.

Hope all this helps and I hope Bill is able to remake your custom tunes soon.

- Jack
Old Mon, November 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFX4 View Post
Well, that's because I failed to mention that they did transmission work, my fault. It would seem to me anytime they do anything to your transmission they reflash the PCM. Why they can't just flash to the same HEX code I don't know. Obviously that HEX worked otherwise they wouldn't produce it but they still reprogram it to a different one everytime. What a PITA.
"Why can't I ever turn on my computer without an update message popping up?????"

It's no different than you trucks pcm.....Ford finds fixes and the techs at the dealership are only following protocol.....when they get trucks in with issues....that's all.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, November 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Whopper

RedFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm still just as puzzled as you as to why the version number in the stock tune has to change.
You lost me. All I know is that I get an F1 code when attempting to upload the custom tunes and that my gryphon reads a different HEX code. I'll put the canned tunes back on the gryphon tomorrow.
Old Mon, November 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFX4 View Post
You lost me. All I know is that I get an F1 code when attempting to upload the custom tunes and that my gryphon reads a different HEX code. I'll put the canned tunes back on the gryphon tomorrow.
What I was saying there, is that the "version" number (the 5th character in the hex code) seems to be related to the region where the truck was sold (cold/hot climate, altitude taken into consideration), according to some research done by another truck owner. So, I'm puzzled why this had to change for you just because you got a new/rebuilt transmission?

Of course, my information source could be wrong. I just know the characters in the hex code DO identify the particular stock tune that is loaded.

- Jack
Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

I'm e-mailing this thread to Bill to see what he has to say.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
What I was saying there, is that the "version" number (the 5th character in the hex code) seems to be related to the region where the truck was sold (cold/hot climate, altitude taken into consideration), according to some research done by another truck owner. So, I'm puzzled why this had to change for you just because you got a new/rebuilt transmission?

Of course, my information source could be wrong. I just know the characters in the hex code DO identify the particular stock tune that is loaded.

- Jack
Remember jrthomas?
3 different trannys and each time the truck was reflashed.....

Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 10:02 AM
PHP Groupie

I don't recall jrthomas and I just did a search on that username and came up blank. I'll take your word for it though - my rapidly fading brain cells aren't very dependable.

Still, I can't help but wonder: Why? Maybe Bill will have an answer - thanks, Corey.

- Jack
Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I don't recall jrthomas and I just did a search on that username and came up blank. I'll take your word for it though - my rapidly fading brain cells aren't very dependable.

Still, I can't help but wonder: Why? Maybe Bill will have an answer - thanks, Corey.

- Jack
Sorry....I was close......jrthomas15.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/gener...r-code-f1.html

Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Whopper

RedFX4 is on a distinguished road

Well I put the canned tunes back on the Gryphon and they uploaded fine. I guess its just a waiting game now for the re-written custom files. Glad I'm not like that thomas guy and get the F1 code whilst trying to upload canned tunes too.

Quote:
I'm puzzled why this had to change for you just because you got a new/rebuilt transmission?
Best part is I didn't get a new transmission or have any heavy repairs done. Just a seal leading to the transfer case. Seems silly to me but I'm no mechanic.