Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Whopper

rllackey28 is on a distinguished road

Is that standard that the tow tune has greater acceleration in general? When PHP customizes a peformance tune can they tune towards fuel economy or power? I guess I could take the same exact truck and get too totally different 87 performance custom tunes out of it based on the driving interests. Not that I am complaining I just like the knowledge and find it very interesting. I've tried to read up on all the posts, here and F150Online, but nothing beats firsthand info.
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 11:26 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllackey28 View Post
Is that standard that the tow tune has greater acceleration in general? When PHP customizes a peformance tune can they tune towards fuel economy or power? I guess I could take the same exact truck and get too totally different 87 performance custom tunes out of it based on the driving interests. Not that I am complaining I just like the knowledge and find it very interesting. I've tried to read up on all the posts, here and F150Online, but nothing beats firsthand info.
Kinda yeah. But gotta be careful with words like "general" as blanket statements dont always work. The tow tune uses a bit more fueling and later shift points, because like Jack said, they are intended to get loads moving and keep them moving. That doesn't always work great for fuel economy and can sometimes be lacking on the really upper end of the power range but there are exceptions. Heavier trucks and bigger tires are among these exceptions because the boosted torque helps get them moving more efficiently. The performance tunes are improved in other areas and with a light pedal can help mileage, but again there are exceptions. Look at some of the threads from late 2009, I remember some interesting discussions like this one.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/close...lug-times.html

A good portion of that "closed support issues" section could be rendered into a book.
Old Fri, December 3rd, 2010, 06:43 AM
Whopper

rllackey28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Kinda yeah. But gotta be careful with words like "general" as blanket statements dont always work. ...Look at some of the threads from late 2009, I remember some interesting discussions like this one.
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/close...lug-times.html

A good portion of that "closed support issues" section could be rendered into a book.
Wow, that's some good reading. I'll have to dig into it when I have time. Still probably won't understand everything that'ls being said, . And using "general" is habit with me. I'm in an industry where you must have qualifiers to give yourself wiggle room if the unexpected happens. It's the never say "shall" say "should" type of thing. Thanks to all for the help.
Old Fri, December 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM
Forum Predator

In that thread we broke things down pretty simple. It'll really show how a change in one area could have a result in another.

Haha, yeah I've had jobs like that. Now I'm going into a field of science where the general terms can sometimes have different connotations and give people the wrong impression of a situation.
Old Fri, December 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Common Zookeeper

evoar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Don't post it here....
Call PHP!
I did call PHP. I was just saying I was jealous. Jeez! I don't hijack posts or clog them with junk. I thought it was relevant. Please forgive me almighty senior moderator...

As far as the performance tunes go, I would have never assumed a "performance" tune would feel sluggish. Increased fuel economy doesn't always translate to increased acceleration or what I think of when "performance" comes to mind. I expected a custom performance tune to increase fuel economy, but more than that, performance. I am excited to see what my tunes are like!
Old Fri, December 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoar View Post
I did call PHP. I was just saying I was jealous. Jeez! I don't hijack posts or clog them with junk. I thought it was relevant. Please forgive me almighty senior moderator...

As far as the performance tunes go, I would have never assumed a "performance" tune would feel sluggish. Increased fuel economy doesn't always translate to increased acceleration or what I think of when "performance" comes to mind. I expected a custom performance tune to increase fuel economy, but more than that, performance. I am excited to see what my tunes are like!
There is a difference between a performance tune and an economy tune. If you ordered a performance tune and listed that you wanted good fuel economy then part of the performance aspect may suffer due to fuel trims, shift points and many other options to be adjusted for better economy. Also, increased acceleration ususally translates to lower fuel economy if you are constantly making use of the faster acceleration. The biggest impact of fuel economy isn't the programming but the driver input.
Old Fri, December 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Common Zookeeper

evoar is on a distinguished road

If there is a difference between a performance tune and an economy tune, you should be able to order either a performance tune or and economy tune. I know there is a box on the order form that asks for information on driving style/altitude/towing weight/etc. I stated on my order form along with my altitude and towing weight that my truck is my daily driver. I am now worried that my tune is going to be written as a economy tune. I ordered a performance tune for just that...performance. Maybe PHP should make an economy tune as an option in addition to a tow and performance tune.
Old Fri, December 3rd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Forum Predator

If you didn't specify for economy oriented tunes then you'll be fine. They used to offer economy tunes but people didn't like them. They were sluggish and didn't always guarantee better mileage. Like all tunes, they required driver participation for the intended effect. You can have a fuel efficient program but you wont get good mileage if you spend most of your driving time with the pedal nailed to the floor.