Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, January 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Whopper Junior

jerseymike47 is on a distinguished road
Default Questions for Bill about upgrading to

Hey Bill, I have a Gryphon Evolution and am thinking of upgrading to a CS or CTS programmer. This is for my 2000 F150 5.4. The Evo has been good though I have been having problems with it lately. Also on the canned tunes it came with I cant be sure that I noticed any performance or fuel mileage difference, but I may be wrong.
Anyhow I would like to know if you write a fuel sipper program, my goal is 20 mpg though with 3.73 gears I am not sure if that is possible. I would like to get the best out of my truck. I have added electric fans, and 3 in cat back exhaust. I would like a little more power out of it and a mile or two better per gallon. Let me know what you think and what my options are. Thanks, Mike
Old Mon, January 3rd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I'm not Bill but I can throw you my two cents for gas...

If you want to upgrade to a CS/CTS the only way would be to sell your current programmer and use that money towards a new programmer.

As for the fuel saving tunes, they are no longer made. The fuel sipper tunes were pretty much discontinued because they were no fun to drive and did not guarantee better mileage. The best advice I have for improving fuel mileage is to clean the filters, MAF sensors and throttle body, just keeping up with basic maintenance. You could also buy a vacuum guage which shows you how little throttle you are using (and may help you learn to use less), sounds silly but it sure helped me. The fact of the matter is good mileage is hard to get when you have the aeordynamics of a brick and weigh as much as a small whale.
Old Mon, January 3rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Whopper Junior

jerseymike47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike47 View Post
Hey Bill, I have a Gryphon Evolution and am thinking of upgrading to a CS or CTS programmer. This is for my 2000 F150 5.4. The Evo has been good though I have been having problems with it lately. Also on the canned tunes it came with I cant be sure that I noticed any performance or fuel mileage difference, but I may be wrong.
Anyhow I would like to know if you write a fuel sipper program, my goal is 20 mpg though with 3.73 gears I am not sure if that is possible. I would like to get the best out of my truck. I have added electric fans, and 3 in cat back exhaust. I would like a little more power out of it and a mile or two better per gallon. Let me know what you think and what my options are. Thanks, Mike
I would also like to add that I've also added underdrive pulleys.
Old Mon, January 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike47 View Post
I would also like to add that I've also added underdrive pulleys.
The UDP's wont affect a tune at all, but if you want you can have Bill raise your idle RPM's to make sure the alternator keeps the battery charged at idle.
also I am sure that you will love whatever tunes or programmer you decide on getting!

IMO I dont know if it is possible to get that kind of mileage with that truck, I had a 2001 with a gryphon, CAI, and a true dual exhaust and it didnt get any better than 16-17 on the highway. another way to help is to empty out the "trunk" or in our cases the bed and interior of the truck.
Hope that helps