Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, March 17th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

johnnyd will become famous soon enough
Default Quick question about Emissions testing while running a custom 93 tune

Happy St. Patty's Day everyone . Going to be 65 and sunny here today in good ole' N.E.Ohio. Haven't seen this in about 5 months!!!!

I got my truck out today for the first time since Novemeber and I need to run it through E Check (Ohio's version of safety check). Tags expired in February and I have to have my passing grade to get new ones. My question is, am I safe letting them plug into the obdII when I'm running a custom 93 tune? I can reset to stock if I need too but then I'll have to drive at least what, 50 miles to have some readings in the ecm for them to see. Was going to head over to the e-check station at lunch time today.

Sorry if this has been covered, which I'm sure it has. I'm at work at just started thinking about this so I can't really search the boards right now. Thanks in advance. -John
Old Thu, March 17th, 2011, 08:33 AM

Sorry, just saw the sticky about state inspections. Looks like I'll be o.k.

Thanks anyways
Old Thu, March 17th, 2011, 09:12 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yes, Johnny - you'll be fine.

To anyone else reading this - DO NOT, repeat, do not set your tune back to stock before getting an emissions test. If you do, it will probably fail due to a P1000 code that will be set. Just remove the programmer from the dash and remove the cord from the OBDII port (so the emissions people won't see it).

I actually don't even bother taking the cord out of the truck. I just tuck it up out of sight under the dash and don't worry about the little "dongle" that is sticking out beside the A-pillar. But I DO remove the cord completely when taking the truck to a dealership (and of course I set the tune back to stock then too).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, March 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks Jack. You think they would give me a hard time if I left the programmer on the dash? Of course unplugged and all.
Old Thu, March 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Breezed right on through. Thanks
Old Thu, March 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
Thanks Jack. You think they would give me a hard time if I left the programmer on the dash? Of course unplugged and all.
In answer to THIS question, that's exactly what I did. I left the programmer in its normal position and unplugged the cord at the OBDII port, then tucked it up under the dash. They didn't even seem to notice the programmer. I plugged it back in when I got home. (I always advise removing it because I HAVE heard of some inspectors telling people the programmer will cause their trucks to fail. I was going to tell them it was a "monitor" if asked.)

- Jack