Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, July 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road
Default Had to have Tranny re-built.

Hello all...well things were going just great with my truck, and the custom tunes on my Gryphon, untill weekend before last. My truck was not wanting to shift into 4th (originally), then 3rd and 4th, and then it went out completely. I returned my truck to stock, removed the Gryphon, and had it towed in to the dealer. It took right at a week, but I have my truck back now. They say that the clutch went out. Seems to drive fine now. But I noticed that all my info. on the dash was reset, as if my battery was disconnected. Should I be concerned that the dealer may have reflashed the PCM? I have not attempted to reinstall the Gryphon yet, but I would like to asap. Just wondering if there are any precautions I should take, or anything I need to be aware of. Thanks, Travis
Old Mon, July 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Since you have custom tunes you'll get an error once you plug it in if the hex code has been changed.
But......
Nothing will be hurt, Bill will just have to rewrite your custom tunes.
And......
I don't know if they'll charge for the rewritten tunes.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, July 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Hidden Valley

Well there is definitely a problem. I went to hook my Gryphon back up, and immediately, it said something about not recognizing my ECM...I tried anyway....then got these messages about no communication and needing calibration. And then DTC ALERT: 4 ........... All kinds of codes thrown...so I am just assuming that they reflashed my pcm?.?.?
Old Fri, July 23rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It sounds very much like they flashed your PCM. Probably had to if they rebuilt/replaced your transmission. And, don't worry about the codes - yet.

Bring your Gryphon to your PC, fire up Pegasus and connect the Gryphon. Once it reports it is connected, click on [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager]. This will show the firmware and calibration updates that are available. You want to install BOTH. This will return your Grypohon to a "canned" status, and it should recognize your truck's PCM now.

With the ignition key ON, plug it back in and note the HEX code. If it's different than the one in your User Profile, you've been flashed. To get your custom tunes back, Bill will have to rewrite them for the new hex strategy. But, you can run your truck on the canned tunes while you're waiting.

If the hex code is the same though, try downloading your custom tunes again: [Updates]->[Custom File Download] or [Updates]->[Download Targeted Functions], depending on your version of Pegasus, and try them again.

And, I would expect a few codes if a lot of work was done. The truck has to relearn a lot of things.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Hidden Valley

Hey, THANKS A LOT! I am going to try your suggestions RIGHT NOW!... Let you know how things work out. THANKS again!
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hidden Valley

It worked! And boy am I glad! I guess I was taking the Gryphon for granted. Because I forgot just how much of a DOG my truck is WITHOUT it. The other day, I went to pass a car, and when I hit the pedal it just boggggeeddd. Now... it is like night and day. Sooooooooo glad it all worked out. Now hopefully this tranny fix will hold up! Thanks again!!
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Don't forget, you can run the canned tunes now. I'd suggest you use the Level 2 tow tune (even if you're not towing). You'll get much improved transmission behavior and more low end power.

- Jack
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hidden Valley

Oh I got the customs back. The Hex was the same. So I did like you said, and reloaded them on the Gryphon...hooked it back up and...presto...no problems!
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM
PHP Groupie

OK, good to hear! I wonder what caused the earlier problem?

- Jack
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hidden Valley

Do you think that it could have been me plugging in the Gryphon to the truck, before I turned the key on??