Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Saluki Fan

bskouby is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon display issue

I have been searching for threads on this issue, but I haven't found anything that seems to match up with the issue I have recently noticed with my Gryphon. So....here it is....

Within the last few days I have noticed that the Gryphon display has been washing out (like the contrast is set too low). Even after increasing the contrast, the display continues to "wash out". I can still see it fine, it just doesn't maintain its nice dark bold look.

I also have noticed some horizontal banding starting to appear in the screen. This is a "rolling" band, kind of like watching an old analog TV station on the edge of reception.

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine. I have unplugged the device, and reset the OBDII cable to no avail. I also brought the device in and plugged it into my computer, and still see the same banding on the screen.

Any ideas? This is a relatively new unit, I purchased it back in April.
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 09:57 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

That sounds to me like a hardware display problem in your unit. This is why these things come with a warranty. I think you need to contact PHP and explain what you're seeing (including the banding when plugged into your PC).

I'm guessing they will give you an RMA# and replace your unit. But, don't send it to them without talking to them first! If you DO send your unit in, make sure you set your truck back to stock first.

However, BEFORE you call PHP, with your truck set to stock, connect your unit to the PC and through Pegasus update both the firmware and the calibrations: [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager]. And then, reload your custom tunes into the Gryphon using [Updates]->[Custom File Download] or [Updates]->[Targeted Functions], depending on the version of Pegasus you have. It's possible your problem can be cured with a firmware update and it's certainly worth a try.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Saluki Fan

bskouby is on a distinguished road

Yeah..I was afraid of something like that. I was hoping that perhaps there was just something I was missing. I don't like to blame products and then find out that I just had a brain fart and missed something obvious.

I'll can give the firmware update a try...but I actually did this exact procedure about 8 weeks ago when I got my custom tunes. So...unless there was a firmware update in that time period, it might be an exercise in futility.

I'll mess around with this for a bit, but will likely call PHP soon.

Thanks!
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I've had the banding before but it comes and goes for me.
Old Mon, July 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

First have your battery load tested.
If its good........
Then it could be a............
Hardware issue........
Call PHP.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, July 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Old Goat

Paw Paw is on a distinguished road

My display faded out yesterday morning . Could barely see the parameter readouts . Drove the truck around all day. Display came back to where it was readable by late in the evening . First time it has done this. Did notice that each time I tried to change the contrast that some of the parameters would go to ZERO for a second and then come back . Guess I can call PHP tonight.
Hope Bill and Corey can fix me up .

PAW PAW
Old Tue, July 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Paw Paw, I don't think you have a problem.

When you adjust the brightness on the LCD display, the process that handles the reading of the PCM is momentarily interrupted causing some or all of the displays to read zero ("0"). This is a normal occurrence, but the Gryphon should resume normal monitoring functions after the brightness adjustments are complete.

If not, either a key OFF/key ON sequence or unplugging and reconnecting the Gryphon at the OBDII port should fix the problem.

Anyway, unless you cannot get your display to function like it should, you should be fine.

- Jack
Old Tue, July 27th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Old Goat

Thanks Jack for explaining the Zero condition when I was changing the contrast . I am still concerned about the faded out screen situation that happened and then cleared up all by itself. I will still probably call PHP , just to ask about it.
Thanks again Jack!!
PAW PAW
Old Sat, August 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Old Goat

Help

Well , I have no options but to call PHP on Monday . I got in the truck this morning to change my tune from 87 perf. to 87 tow ( cause I got a trailer hooked to it ) and guess what - FADED OUT DISPLAY. I could barely read the display at all . Anyone else had this problem ? Could it be the heat ?

PAW PAW
Old Sat, August 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Heat will make it go darker instead of lighter. I think your going to need to call them.