Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, August 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough
Default GOT 'EM!!!!

Guys, just received installed my 87 performance tune. To put it simply, I love it......very satsified

I have a few follow-up questions if you don't mind, and I apologize in advance if there is some redundancy from previous inquiries:

- Does Bill personally load in TS and GR in the custom file? If so, do these become the NEW placeholder values? In other words, if I assume he did enter these, would I lose HIS entries if I don't "load previous settings" the very first time I go into custom programming? I skipped it the first time just to see how the truck drives. I really need to go in and check TS and GR but need to know if I need to load previous settings the first time in.

- Secondly, is it normal for O/D to NOT kick in until a higher speed is hit.....is this a characteristic of a performance tune? Either my TS is really off....or it's the tune, b/c I can't acheive O/D until about 50mph, which before it was easily acheived around 43 mph. Honestly, I'm hoping it's a characteristic of the tune. I like it...a LOT, although it might hurt my economy. I drive a TON of 35 and 40 mph roads around my city, which causes a lot of unnecessary shifting in and out of O/D, so a lot of the time, I take O/D off. As it is now, that has been fixed unless the reason being is my TS is off.

Thanks in advance boys!!!!!!
Old Fri, August 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSur View Post
Guys, just received installed my 87 performance tune. To put it simply, I love it......very satsified

I have a few follow-up questions if you don't mind, and I apologize in advance if there is some redundancy from previous inquiries:

- Does Bill personally load in TS and GR in the custom file? If so, do these become the NEW placeholder values? In other words, if I assume he did enter these, would I lose HIS entries if I don't "load previous settings" the very first time I go into custom programming? I skipped it the first time just to see how the truck drives. I really need to go in and check TS and GR but need to know if I need to load previous settings the first time in.

- Secondly, is it normal for O/D to NOT kick in until a higher speed is hit.....is this a characteristic of a performance tune? Either my TS is really off....or it's the tune, b/c I can't acheive O/D until about 50mph, which before it was easily acheived around 43 mph. Honestly, I'm hoping it's a characteristic of the tune. I like it...a LOT, although it might hurt my economy. I drive a TON of 35 and 40 mph roads around my city, which causes a lot of unnecessary shifting in and out of O/D, so a lot of the time, I take O/D off. As it is now, that has been fixed unless the reason being is my TS is off.

Thanks in advance boys!!!!!!
Bill USUALLY sets your TS and GR in your custom tune. But, if you open those things in Custom Options, you will NOT see his values! So, the best thing to do is check the Gryphon speed PID against a GPS or check your dash odometer against a measured distance like interstate highway markers - the longer distance the better. Then, there are numerous threads here that talk about how to correct if needed.

The Custom Options menu is NOT a facility to "check" on what values are loaded. It is used to set new values. Please see my Q&A on this confusing feature: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...ions-menu.html

I suspect Bill set your OD to come on and lock up at the higher speed. That is normal for a "performance tune".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, August 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Bill USUALLY sets your TS and GR in your custom tune. But, if you open those things in Custom Options, you will NOT see his values! So, the best thing to do is check the Gryphon speed PID against a GPS or check your dash odometer against a measured distance like interstate highway markers - the longer distance the better. Then, there are numerous threads here that talk about how to correct if needed.

The Custom Options menu is NOT a facility to "check" on what values are loaded. It is used to set new values. Please see my Q&A on this confusing feature: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/faqs-...ions-menu.html

I suspect Bill set your OD to come on and lock up at the higher speed. That is normal for a "performance tune".

- Jack
Gotcha. I read that you can't load previous settings the first time in, so if I access those items in the menu, I will immediately see placeholder values, correct?

So for TS, I will check it with a GPS first. It it's accurate, I'll just leave it alone. The main reason I wanted to check is I've got a sweet spot number that put me almost dead on over a 180-mile ride. I was hoping I could check what Bill entered to see how close his number is to mine.

That's what I was hoping to hear on the OD b/c I like it. Thanks Jack, as always. Have a good weekend. I'm heading to Cabo San Lucas as we speak. You've been a lot of help to me in the past 2 months, so I will drink one especially for you
Old Sat, August 7th, 2010, 08:25 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

The tire size is completely dependent on inflation pressures, speeds, and manufacturer tolerances. We can usually get close given a tire size, but there will almost always be a need to correct it once the Gryphon is installed in the vehicle.
Old Sat, August 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

As Cody said, there are factors that will cause errors. Your plan to check things as they are is sound. If you find there is an error, go ahead and reload your tune with YOUR TS value and DO remember to check and adjust the GR too, if necessary.

You did good to load the tune first without opening Custom Options.

- Jack
Old Sat, August 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Scientist

Appreciated guys. Thanks for the input
Old Sat, August 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM
Scientist

I have another question for you guys. I searched for the answer before bugging you with it but had no immediate success.

Would it be okay to tow on an 87 perf tune if all I am towing is about 1700lbs? I don't see why not personally, especially considering most of the land I'm traveling is flat except for the last hour of driving (mountains).

Overall, I like the way my 87 perf tune runs better than my canned 87 tow tune. If you remember the shifting issues I was posting about before, I never made any manual changes to the tow tune programming. These issues are gone with the performance tune.

I'm just wondering if I can tow with my perf tune considering the very low amount of weight I am towing. It's a small pop-up camper. Gross weight is around 1600 lbs before loaded.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sat, August 21st, 2010, 07:35 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

The performance tunes are rated for up to 2,000 so you should be good. But if you notice things like the engine and trans getting hot or the truck is searching for gears more often it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to switch to the tow. But you probably wont have any trouble on flat land if you drive nice.
Old Sat, August 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM
PHP Groupie

Agree with Longshot - you really should not have any trouble at all. I doubt if even the mountain driving is going to be much of a factor in your case. Anytime you drive on mountain roads and the engine has to rev higher due to using lower gears, the transmission is going to heat up. I climb Mt. Graham (about an hour of driving and an 8,000 ft elevation gain) in 2nd gear all the way. Because of the speeds on that twisty, narrow road, I doubt if I'd be in a higher gear even if I wasn't towing, and the TFT would still probably get above 200.

- Jack
Old Sun, August 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Scientist

Thanks guys. I didn't know about the 2000 lb limitation, good to know.