Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Double Whopper

AussieOiler is on a distinguished road
Question Afraid-very-Afraid

G'day to all,
Sorry Fellas; it might be advisable to get out the popcorn and settle in..this could be long
Afraid-very Afraid is what I am when things require upgrading over the internet from downloaded files.
I say this because of my own experiences and the multitude of disappointments and frustrations that I read on this forum and many others concerning this 'downloading and updating' business
I have had a Evo2 Dash pod programmer in my 2003 7.3l for a couple of years and have never (r) never been tempted to check for updates. In fact I turned the Fusion Disk into a 'Bird Scarer' for my fruit trees soon after unpacking it from the box.
Being a diesel mechanic in a former life, I have no problems getting mechanical and swing tools and doing mods as can be seen from my sig.
I have just completed the last of the performance enhancement mechanical mods I intend doing. And that is fitting a John Woods Valve Body (JWVB).
Before fitting the JWVB I had been running the Evo on the #1 (Tow Safe) setting continuously and with the custom 'Shift Firmness' set on +6. It towed, drove and shifted well and I had no real issues. With the JWVB the Custom tune for Shift firmness is set back to zero.
However I always intended to get proper custom tunes when I finally completed my mods.
I have come up with a number of questions, so I'm asking for any advice on which way to go.
1. CTS: If I upgraded to the Gryphon CTS my Evo would become a paper weight. However already having the dash pod, I would get the CTS Adapter and mount the CTS in the same position. Also I believe I can still plug the EGT Pryo probe and continue to read EGT. So a CTS + Adaptor + 3 x Custom Tunes, I'm looking at around US$750.
Bearing in mind I have not updated my Evo, what more 'useful' features are now available on your Gryphon CTS (maybe monitor fuel pressure + +??). If I went with the latest and greatest Gryphon CTS and never ever download updates would I miss anything useful in the future?
2. Phoenix 6 Pos Chip: I realise that if I fit a Phoenix, I can set the Evo to stock and monitor essential parameters and lift DTCs and select a custom tune on the fly. With a modified tranny (JWVB) I'd be looking at the US$550 Phoenix 6 Pos Chip. Although a much cheaper option, cost is not the issue "at all".
Also being able to shift on the fly or taking some time to programe the truck for what lies ahead is no big deal to me, convenient yes but not a big deal.
I am presuming that the Custom tunes made for a particular vehicle on either the Phoenix or the CTS are "exactly" the same?
So what I am really asking here is: If cost is not your issue, and you've narrowed it down to these two for the reasons stated: Which way would you go?
Cheers,
Reg.
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I'm not a diesel guy but I would go with the phoenix chip because with a switch on the fly option you dont have to worry about a reprogram going wrong and leaving you stranded (and I see the current gryphon as an invested tool that probably works well enought for checking codes and such).

The features like datalogging are not found in the CS or CTS like it is in the basic gryphon.

The CTS does offer a very nice display and the ability to view more PIDs than the basic gryphon and the CTS can also use a camera.
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 11:33 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Longshot just answered this the way I would have. But, like him, I'm not a diesel driver. We really need cleatus12r to check in here.

However, I don't really see the "change tune on the fly" capability as such a big deal. My changes involve switching from towing to non-towing, and that's it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, September 21st, 2010, 06:28 AM
Double Whopper

AussieOiler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
I'm not a diesel guy but I would go with the phoenix chip because with a switch on the fly option you dont have to worry about a reprogram going wrong and leaving you stranded (and I see the current gryphon as an invested tool that probably works well enought for checking codes and such).

The features like datalogging are not found in the CS or CTS like it is in the basic gryphon.

The CTS does offer a very nice display and the ability to view more PIDs than the basic gryphon and the CTS can also use a camera.
G'day Longshot,
Thank you for your comments.
The 'you dont have to worry about a reprogram going wrong and leaving you stranded' is something I hadn't really though about.
Well I'm a real 'Ludite' when it comes to computer controlled stuff. So I guess you mean that when you change 'Chips' with the flick of a switch as with the Phoenix, FU, FU2; it is not a reprogramming process?
And you say in your opinion that this is a safer way to go to lessen a possible PCM computer hic-up/failure being caused by the Evo/CST having to go through a 'remove the old file', store it, 'rewrite a new file' process.
If this is indeed the case, then this would be the way to go for me because I do get very isolated at times in the Aussie outback.

Cheers
Reg.
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).