Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, September 30th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Whopper

Mud Digger is on a distinguished road
Default Gryphon not seeing vehicle Calibration after Jump start/new battery install HELP

SO last week i my battery went dead so i jumped it several times till i could afford a new batter well i got the new battery and currently i have my gryphon set on custom tune number 3 for performace and i have a 2004 f150 well the other day i didnt want to put premium fuel in her tank so i went to tune it to custom tune # 1 well when i went to do that it said vehicle calibration not supported so right now i'm stuck on level 3 and cant change to anyother level well the tune is still working on the truck as it stil has all its pep and ive been putting premium fuel in lately cause i cant change the level well that is deffinatly messing with my finance's cause premieum fuel is like 20 cents more a gallon hurts when you have a 30 gallon tank... well i need help what can i do to fix this have tried several things to fix it and nothing..i'm afraid to try and program it back to stock as i wont be able to go back to one of the levels how do i fix this please someome help

PS also i plan on putting headers on my truck with in the next month will i need to send the unit back to PHP for a update someone help me please
Old Thu, September 30th, 2010, 09:45 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

There are three possibilities:
1. You may have "toasted" your Gryphon if you didn't disconnect it when you jump-started the truck.
2. You may not have let the Gryphon boot properly when you changed the battery.
3. The firmware in the Gryphon may be corrupt due to your battery and jump-starting issues.
Let's assume it's the second, because we can do something about that. Disconnect your Gryphon. Turn the ignition key to ON without starting the truck and then plug the Gryphon back in. If it shows you your "hex" code, you should be back in business and should be able to change the tunes.

If that doesn't allow you to change to a different level though, you need to find out if you CAN change back to Level 0. If the Gryphon showed you your "hex" code, that should be possible and I recommend you try that. If you succeed in getting it to Level 0, start up Pegasus on your PC and connect your Gryphon to the PC. Click on [Updates]->[Gryphon Update Manager] and apply both the calibration and firmware updates you will probably see. That should fix any problem with the firmware. Then, click on [Updates]->[Download Custom Tunes] or [Updates]->[Targeted Functions] (depending on your version of Pegasus) to restore your custom tunes. If that all works, you should be back in business.

If these steps didn't work though, you've probably damaged your Gryphon by jump-starting your truck with it connected. Bill will have to help you.

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Whopper

ive tried that and i can see my hex code i can change to a different level but it doesnt load it i cant view my codes when they come up but i can clear them and i can change anything once i change my level i can change the level but nothing else and i'm affraid to go to a dif level wiht out using premium fuel dont want to hurt the truck cause i'm not sure if it really changed it or not...i'm not good with computers i'll have to try and figure out pegasus
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 10:09 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Digger View Post
ive tried that and i can see my hex code i can change to a different level but it doesnt load it i cant view my codes when they come up but i can clear them and i can change anything once i change my level i can change the level but nothing else and i'm affraid to go to a dif level wiht out using premium fuel dont want to hurt the truck cause i'm not sure if it really changed it or not...i'm not good with computers i'll have to try and figure out pegasus
I'm sorry, but I don't understand a thing you are saying.

You can change to a different level, but it doesn't "load it"? What is the error message?

If you can't view codes, how do you know you have any, and, how do you know you are clearing them?

You say you can "change anything once [you] change the level", but - you said before that the level doesn't change?

And, what do you mean you can "change the level but nothing else"? Doesn't that contradict your statement that you can "change anything"?

The only reason you'd use premium fuel is if you were using a high octane tune. Your truck was designed to burn 87 octane gas - period. Don't go to a high octane tune level if you don't want to use premium - problem solved.

If you're "not good" with computers, you probably should not be using a programmer. You DO understand that it is a microprocessor device, don't you, and, that you are programming your truck's "computer" with it?

There's nothing really hard about using Pegasus. You just have to be able to click your mouse button. What is hard about that?

Could you possibly have someone who knows how to write in complete sentences explain your problems here? Unless we can understand what is going on, it's going to be very hard to help you.

- Jack
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand a thing you are saying.

You can change to a different level, but it doesn't "load it"? What is the error message?

If you can't view codes, how do you know you have any, and, how do you know you are clearing them?

You say you can "change anything once [you] change the level", but - you said before that the level doesn't change?

And, what do you mean you can "change the level but nothing else"? Doesn't that contradict your statement that you can "change anything"?

The only reason you'd use premium fuel is if you were using a high octane tune. Your truck was designed to burn 87 octane gas - period. Don't go to a high octane tune level if you don't want to use premium - problem solved.

If you're "not good" with computers, you probably should not be using a programmer. You DO understand that it is a microprocessor device, don't you, and, that you are programming your truck's "computer" with it?

There's nothing really hard about using Pegasus. You just have to be able to click your mouse button. What is hard about that?

Could you possibly have someone who knows how to write in complete sentences explain your problems here? Unless we can understand what is going on, it's going to be very hard to help you.

- Jack

the error message is the same as everything else it says it does not have a calibration for it

also it says i have codes the check engin light comes on so i go to view dtc's or w/e it will say you have 2 codes or what ever but the screen will be blank, i can hit the clear code button and it will clear them for the time being

i can change the level to any level but i cant change tire size or WOT and all those goodies and when i hit done it wil say turn key off and than on but dont start and when i do that it will go to the loading part and stop and say that same thing it does not have a calibration or w/e but when i exit out of it it says level 1 2 or 3 or what ever level i programmed it for but with out it writing the pcm

and currently i have it set for level 3 and thats how it was set b4 all this happend so ive been putting premium fuel in it since than cause when it does change the level i dont think it actually does it..so problem not solved

no i'm great with computers just not with down loading stuff and using it...
Old Wed, October 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Digger View Post
the error message is the same as everything else it says it does not have a calibration for it

So it will say that you HAVE a tune there but when you try to program to that tune it says that slot is empty? Sounds like the firmware or something got corrupted but I'd be afraid of starting a programming session where it erases the computer but has nothing to reload. I would program to stock just in case this is the what is going on. When something funky starts happening it is always best to program back to stock.

also it says i have codes the check engin light comes on so i go to view dtc's or w/e it will say you have 2 codes or what ever but the screen will be blank, i can hit the clear code button and it will clear them for the time being

So when you go to "retrieve DTCs" or w/e it doesn't tell you what they are? If you have multiple codes I think it will usually show you them one at a time after it tells you there are multiple codes. Last time I had two codes was about year ago so I dont quite remember.

i can change the level to any level but i cant change tire size or WOT and all those goodies and when i hit done it wil say turn key off and than on but dont start and when i do that it will go to the loading part and stop and say that same thing it does not have a calibration or w/e but when i exit out of it it says level 1 2 or 3 or what ever level i programmed it for but with out it writing the pcm

This is sounding like the calibration files or something are messed up.

and currently i have it set for level 3 and thats how it was set b4 all this happend so ive been putting premium fuel in it since than cause when it does change the level i dont think it actually does it..so problem not solved

Like I said, when this stuff happens go to stock. Yes the truck will have trouble going down the road but at least you wont be stranded.

no i'm great with computers just not with down loading stuff and using it...

You NEED pegasus once your truck is tuned back to stock to fix the programmer no matter what. Here are some simple steps:

1. Do not plug your gryphon into the computer until Pegasus is installed! Go to the website and hover the mouse over the support tab. Then follow down to downloads and over to Pegasus Client (v. 2.2.780). Click that.

2. You will have a setup window for pegasus. You will probably also have a window about "File Download - Security Warning." Click on save and save it to a folder like Downloads on your computer.

3. Now find the setup icon for pegasus and click on that. Let it install everying like the program and drivers.

4. Once pegasus is installed and the truck is set to stock, plug in the programmer and try to update it. It will be under [Updates]>[Gryphon Updates]. Might not be a bad idea to try updating pegasus though.
Before you update the programmer, close any other programs. Many computers in the past have had trouble by running too many applications while updating...it turns into a mess.

5. Once it starts updating the programmer, just walk away. It might take a while. Just keep an eye on it in case it asks you to do something. Follow the instructions to the letter. At one point it will ask you to click something, unplug the programmer and click something else. Make sure you know what to click and when. It will say beforehand.

6. Unplug the programmer and take it to the truck.

In blue
Old Wed, December 15th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Whopper

i finally have time to try this gonna do it today
Old Wed, December 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Whopper

Default Huge Problem!!!! What do i do? Gryphon Fried?

so after about a month now after jump starting my truck with my programmer still connected i have come to the conclusion that i think i Fried it... I think i will need bills help on this one and i just want to post this out there so everyone knows. i just downloaded pegasus because i could not tune or even read my DTC's on my programmer and i went to plug it in and it said this...THIS DEVICE IS IN A PERMENENT UNRECOVERABLE CONDITION AND IS CURRENTLY UNABLE TO BE REPROGRAMED VIA USB PLEASE CONTACT PHP

what do i do i need these tunes for my truck and its worthless right now to me..help
Old Wed, December 15th, 2010, 09:10 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

At this point, I'll probably have to get involved and see where the problem is. It's usually related to a problem with the cable and it will most likely need to be replaced. If you can get with me next week after we get back from vacation I'll be happy to help get this cleared up for you.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, December 15th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
At this point, I'll probably have to get involved and see where the problem is. It's usually related to a problem with the cable and it will most likely need to be replaced. If you can get with me next week after we get back from vacation I'll be happy to help get this cleared up for you.

Take care.
thanks bill i appreciate it very much have a nice vacation