Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Whopper

dmiertschin is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about Edge Evolution for F150

I have a 2005 f150 Fx4 5.4L with a S&B CAI straight pipe exhaust and 33in tires. i just recently bought a Edge for it and put it on just doin some of my own custom settings on the extreme setting, i was wonder if anybody had some good settings to set it on that are safe for the truck and good for like speed bc i like to race my friends sometime just to mess around?

Another question i had is about to edges 0-60 timing, i did the timing on it for my truck and it ran a 6.59 0-60 to me thats pretty fast for my truck faster than i should be i thought does anybody know if the time on it is correct or possibly off somehow? and my tire size and everthing is set correctly.
Old Tue, November 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default Advisory!

You may be doing damage to your truck's engine.....
A Slot style MAF cannot account for its new location in a cai without being retuned through custom tunes.
2004-2005 5.4 3v are known to run lean....running a cai with edge canned tunes makes it even leaner.
Remove the s+b and put the stock intake back on.
Upgrade your evolution to a gryphon along with custom tunes to take into the account for the cai....

Remember.......
Its your truck.
It's your money.
It's your decision.
But
If your motor blows up or starts to rattle don't come here crying.....You've been warned.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, December 1st, 2010, 08:00 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiertschin View Post
I have a 2005 f150 Fx4 5.4L with a S&B CAI straight pipe exhaust and 33in tires. i just recently bought a Edge for it and put it on just doin some of my own custom settings on the extreme setting, i was wonder if anybody had some good settings to set it on that are safe for the truck and good for like speed bc i like to race my friends sometime just to mess around?

Another question i had is about to edges 0-60 timing, i did the timing on it for my truck and it ran a 6.59 0-60 to me thats pretty fast for my truck faster than i should be i thought does anybody know if the time on it is correct or possibly off somehow? and my tire size and everthing is set correctly.
That 0-60 time does sound kinda quick. What is your tire size and gear ratio?

I'm with 88 on the lean condition, especially since you have an '05. Also, if it is the open element (filter at the end of a pipe) your not really gaining anything over the larger diameter. I made an open element filter for my truck and took it to a certified drag strip. I lost almost a half a second from the first run (with IATs in the 50s and 60s) to later runs where the intake temps were 60+ degrees warmer than ambient. I would try to cover that filter in a shroud similar to the stock one that has a snorkel either going to the front of the truck or into the fender.

As for settings, stay AWAY from timing adjustments more than .5-1 degree without using higher octane fuel. Stay away from shift firmness untill you have a rock solid understanding of what you are doing. Easy to kill drivetrain parts hotrodding with a shift firmness that is messed up.

Your WOT shift points and WOT fuel can be adjusted but read the manual and stickies here BEFORE you make adjustments. Do your research on changes before something breaks because it isn't very useful after. When you are racing your friends you are putting the engine and transmission components through conditions they were not primarily designed for.
Old Wed, December 1st, 2010, 08:16 PM
Whopper

my tires are 295/70-17s which are about 33s and i have 3.73 gears.

i no about the lean possibilities of my truck iv been reading about it for like 2 years and i am gunna get custom tunes for the CAI and mind CAI is not open the filter is in its own box.

as for settings like timing and stuff im not even thinking about messing with any of that and the shifter firmness is perfect without even messing with it.

i used to have a bully dog triple dog programmer on it for over a year and never had any problems with it and all i changed was the shift firmness and WOT shifting. and with programming experience i have messed around with my truck a lot and just about every friend i have has got a programmer on their diesel or gas truck and we talk and u can learn a lot from that but yeah i dont mess with any real complicated stuff.
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Stick me with a fork....I'm done with this.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Whopper

Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude, I just took your message as to sounding kinda rude so yeah, sorry.
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiertschin View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude, I just took your message as to sounding kinda rude so yeah, sorry.
I don't know that YOU sounded rude, but I suspect 88 is, and I know I'm having, a great deal of difficulty figuring out what it is you expect to do with a programmer. First you say you want settings that will make it
"good for like speed bc i like to race my friends sometime just to mess around".
And then you tell 88, in response to his sound advice about your truck and the CAI:
"i no about the lean possibilities of my truck iv been reading about it for like 2 years and i am gunna get custom tunes for the CAI and mind CAI is not open the filter is in its own box."
And I guess in this "pidgeon English" you use, you are saying the filter is not exposed (for whatever that's worth - "nothing") and you think that compensates for the slot style MAF (which it doesn't). And that someday, you'll get custom tunes to compensate for this abortion you've put on your engine.

Then you go on:
"as for settings like timing and stuff im not even thinking about messing with any of that and the shifter firmness is perfect without even messing with it."
So, good, you DON'T try some of the more tricky things that could really fry your transmission, but:
"i used to have a bully dog triple dog programmer on it for over a year and never had any problems with it and all i changed was the shift firmness and WOT shifting. and with programming experience i have messed around with my truck a lot and just about every friend i have has got a programmer on their diesel or gas truck and we talk and u can learn a lot from that but yeah i dont mess with any real complicated stuff."
Now you say you DO screw with the more dangerous stuff but you seem to think it's not? Sorry, we can't help but think you haven't a clue about the effects of the parameters you are changing.

So, we're just having trouble understanding your convoluted syntax here and can't figure out what it is you really want to do. It would help if you could write more clearly. Could you try using "Standard English"? This is a forum, not a "text message site".

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Forum Predator

Hey Jack, the covered filter was directed at me. When that IAT got over 100 I had a slight drop in power that left its mark on my track times. I went to the track but that is the only time I ever race. Constant hot rodding WILL kill a truck, even a Ford unless it is built for it, which most of these production vehicles are not. Having bigger tires (probably heavy all terrains or mud terrains) is also not good for acceleration.

Main thing is be careful when you are adjusting things. There will always be a trade off when you make certain changes.
Increasing shift firmness may make the truck more fun to drive but with too much you could cause trouble with your lower drivetrain, especially at WOT. When you throw in the adrenaline of racing around with friends you increase the chance of damage and accelerate any current damage exponentially.

In case your wondering, almost every time somebody has come on here, just as you have, wanting to know "custom" settings they can use to make their truck a race car, we later found them cussing that somebody on some forum blew up their truck with "wrong" settings. They didn't stop to think about the possible consequences their actions would have because their truck was "unbeatable and indestructable."
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 10:43 PM
Whopper

Sorry about my typing I was in a hurry when typing the first two post.

On the bully dog I didn't think that adjusting the shift firmness and the WOT shifting were dangerous parameters to change. The Bully Dog programmer that I had doesn't seem like it's nowhere near as aggressive as the Edge is. I want to say that when you program one of Edges three levels in a truck that it changes its shift firmness without change the actual firmness in the custom settings. As for the Bully Dog did not do that, you had a choice between just stock or firm shifting and from experience the Edges shifting is a lot more firm without changing it than the Bully Dog's firm shifting did thats why I say I'm not going to change the shift firmness on the Edge. For the WOT shifting I don't just put it all the way up to highest RPM's the truck can shift at because then I would be really trying to blow up something, I put them maybe just a little bit higher then what the stock WOT shift points are.

For settings maybe I should rephrase myself, I"m just looking for good settings on the simpler parameters so I won't have to worry about harming my truck. Also, sorry it seemed like I'm trying to make my truck into a race car.

Longshot I know what you mean about people wanting to just make their truck as fast as possible as thats what I was doing but, I didn't want it to sound that way. I don't constantly hot rod my truck either when I say I race my friends sometimes thats maybe like three times in a year that I'll do something like that. And don't worry I'm the type thats going to come crying here or blaming somebody if something goes wrong with my truck because to me if something happens to somebodies truck it's their own fault and they should suck it up and learn from what they did wrong.

By the way this whole forum does have a lot of answers for a lot of things in it and yall are very helpful to a lot of people.
Old Thu, December 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Forum Predator

Thats what I figured but I like to be blunt at times so there is little miscommunication. Even though you still have the edge, go to the website and download the gryphon manual for starters. It has some very good info about many of the parameters you have access to. You should also read the stickies in all the relevant sections...there will be a quiz later on comprehension.

Edit: Here is the manual
http://www.gopowerhungry.com/manuals...02004-2008.pdf

Also, just about every vehicle is different so what works for me probably wont work the same for you. Dont remember who but someone around here was getting their best speeds with the WOT fuel set to 1.6ish while my optimum setting is 1.3-1.5 depending on the weather. Performance at part throttle and WOT can also vary between vehicles and set ups. The only way to find your peak settings is to do your homework and make gradual changes. It wont be an over night deal but it is the safest way to go about it.