Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Double Whopper

Jim Allen is on a distinguished road
Default Datalogging

Does anyone know if there is a way to record more than the five or six minutes of data the Gryphon memory will allow? I am plotting/researching the effects oil viscosity has on VCT operation on the Ford 5.4L, especially on cold start and warmup. Will try it with at least a couple of different viscosities besides the standard 5W20. Thanks
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Somehow, Jim, I doubt it. Bill would know though. I think you'll have to ask him to be sure.

I don't suppose having a laptop on board, stopping to download data every five minutes is much of a solution?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, December 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Nope, the 5-6 minutes is your max unless you do what Jack said. But if you are able to bring along your computer you dont have to turn off the truck to download the files. You can just unplug it from the truck and save the file to your computer then plug it back into the truck without stopping or killing the engine. I do remember Bill telling me a while back that a feature to connect a computer through the programmer was on his list of future projects.

Since you will be focusing on the viscosity and warmup time/temps you can start recording just before you crank the engine then let it record until the 5 mins are up, that way you will always have your zero baseline and can easily plot the trends for comparison. Just dont forget to record outside temp/humidity when you are doing the tests (you could use IAT temp as one of your PIDs).
Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Double Whopper

Thanks. That leads me to wonder... do you get more time the fewer the parameters you choose? Because I have a bunch of other instruments, the readouts of which I can also datalog, such as coolant temp, oil pressure, etc, using an Isspro Performax system. I really only need two parameters, EOT and VCT. The other info, including actual coolant temp (not interpolated CHT).

My name is Jim... and I'm a gaugeohaulic!
Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
Thanks. That leads me to wonder... do you get more time the fewer the parameters you choose? Because I have a bunch of other instruments, the readouts of which I can also datalog, such as coolant temp, oil pressure, etc, using an Isspro Performax system. I really only need two parameters, EOT and VCT. The other info, including actual coolant temp (not interpolated CHT).

The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem......
BTW
Where'd you you get your dual gauge A pillar pod?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post

Yes but no, the less PIDs greatly increases the log time but there is no way for you to select less PIDs. The stock edge programmers record 6 PIDs for about a minute but Bill made some changes on the gryphons and it is 5 Pids for about 5 minutes, but he may have also adjusted the amount of memory that is taken up for datalogging. Are you positive your truck reads the EOT? Mine only uses CHT because the EOT ALWAYS reads zero on the gryphon making datalogging that PID impossible.

Hey, I recognize that picture.
Definitely makes mine look inferior.

Where did you get the tray mounts for those two lower guages and how did you route the wires? I'm assuming you drilled a hole and routed it down above the CD player.
Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Double Whopper

The pod came from Isspro, but they sub it out and I think you can find them easily enough... just google it.

My Gryphon reads EOT (assuming you mean engine oil temp) on the PID. I hope you don't mean there is a glitch on the datalogging side? Anyway the VCT is disabled when oil temp is around 32F and operation limited until it reaches 100F, so the system definitely uses that temp sensor in the oil pan!

The two gauge pod down low where the ash tray would be is something I found and adapted. I keep the rear diff temp and trans cooler line outlet temp gauges there.

One thing that will be made clear on the link below is that the Performax system uses one wire to drive as many as 29 gauges, so the wiring runs are somewhat minimized under the dash.

You can see more about the gauges here:
Installing Isspro's Performax Instruments - Four Wheeler Magazine
Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Longshot - what year is your truck? Mine DOES display the EOT if I want it, but I remember Bill saying once that Ford dropped the EOT sensor in later model year trucks for some reason. If yours doesn't have the sensor, you're out of luck.

- Jack
Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Longshot - what year is your truck? Mine DOES display the EOT if I want it, but I remember Bill saying once that Ford dropped the EOT sensor in later model year trucks for some reason. If yours doesn't have the sensor, you're out of luck.

- Jack
2008 4.6 2v

Old Wed, December 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

I really hate to say it.....
SCT is far more advanced in datalogging than the edge products will ever be.....