Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Mon, January 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Hidden Valley

F150 Man 4Eva is on a distinguished road
Default P0172

System running too rich (Bank 1).
This is a code that I have seen quite often since getting my Gryphon last year. This is the ONLY code I have ever had thrown on my 2005 F-150 5.4 with 77,000 miles. The code wasn't instantly thrown when I first installed my Gryphon last December. I got the code maybe 8 times total last year. Well, I decided to return to stock and take the Gryphon out, and take a trip to the dealer for service. I told them about the code (which had been cleared out the previous day), and I asked them to check into it. They told me that I need a new Mass Air Flow Sensor, because mine is not allowing the right mixture of Air and Fuel. I told them, that I would take care of it myself. Well, I tried cleaning mine first with MAF cleaner, and no change. I decided to get a new sensor, the truck seemed to run a TINY TINY bit smoother, and I was thinking...Great!, this is going to fix the issue. A couple days later...P0172. It is happening more and more now with the colder weather (or atleast it seems). The truck runs great! There is no rough idle, no hesitation, nothing! I love the way the Gryphon has improved my power and shift patterns...but the only conclusion I can draw is that this programmer is causing this code. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old Thu, January 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Hidden Valley

Where is everyone? No thoughts? No suggestions?
Old Thu, January 13th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

I dont know much about it but here is what I'm thinking. Run the truck stock and see if you can make that code come back up. Try to copy the conditions that would cause it before. If it still comes up then we can rule the programmer out. Only problem is it sounds like the code cannot be induced.

You didn't by any chance say you had a CAI?
Old Fri, January 14th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Hidden Valley

Yea, you are right. That makes sense. But you are also right that the code can't be induced. I would just have to go stock and run that way for...months possibly. I do have a K&N setup.
Old Fri, January 14th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Forum Predator

Here is some info from the dtc list in my sig. Might want to check the ones you can like the regulator.

--Possible Causes--
Air Measurement System
- MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, corroded connector, etc.).
You've already cleaned this

Fuel System
- Fuel pressure regulator (vacuum hose off, diaphram leak, malfunctioning, etc.).
- Leaking fuel injectors.
- Fuel return line restricted.
- Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).
- EVAP canister purge valve leak (when canister is full).
Base engine
- Engine oil contamination."
Old Fri, January 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

One thing to keep in mind is that the MAF sensor is very delicate. Here's a link to a good article on cleaning it: How to Clean MAF-2005 5.4 - F150online Forums You might ask yourself how you did it and try to decide if it might have been damaged.

Otherwise, DO try driving in stock (or at Level 1 tranny only if you still have that tune) to see if the code repeats. You can leave the Gryphon plugged in of course when at stock.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hidden Valley

"Well, I tried cleaning mine first with MAF cleaner, and no change. I decided to get a new sensor, the truck seemed to run a TINY TINY bit smoother, and I was thinking...Great!, this is going to fix the issue. A couple days later...P0172."

I was very delicate when both cleaning and replacing the MAF.

I am running my custom tow right now (which is what I run 98% of the time), and it hasn't thrown in a while. It is so random, as to when and how often it does it. Next time though, I am going to stock (though I HATE it compared to tuned) And I will drive however long it takes to satisfy my mind that the Gryphon is or is not causing... System to Rich (Bank 1).

Oh, I might add..that I am aware of the issue with the fuel injectors in the 2005 5.4. I received a letter from Ford stating that I will have an extended warranty on my injectors because of the issue. Something about sticking open.?.? Some have had their engines lock up because of this. And I know that those who have had damaged caused from bad injectors, do not get the caused damage fixed under warranty...just the injectors. I was and still am concerned. I don't know how big of a job it is for the dealer to just check my injectors for "leaks", nor do I know how much it would cost me...but this may be something I NEED to have done.?.?.?

Last edited by F150 Man 4Eva; Sat, January 15th, 2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It could be an injector too, I suppose. If nothing else (like a bad O2 sensor or an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor) shows up. Dirty fuel injectors can cause this problem too, as can problems in the fuel lines, vacuum leaks and so on.

I honestly doubt it's the tune. Bill has tuned our model year trucks for too long for something like this to show up now. I just can't see him getting the A/F mixture wrong like that.

- Jack
Old Sat, January 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Forum Predator

Well since they sent you a letter saying your warranty is extended I think you should put the stock intake back on and return to stock on the programmer. Drive like that until the P1000 code dissappears on its own then take it to a dealership with the letter in hand saying you've been getting the P0172 code and your tired of clearing it. As long as the injectors are covered I'd try to get it fixed before something breaks.
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 10:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

You may have an intermittent injector.....

Take it to Ford and tell them to check them all....

You should be covered up to 120k miles or 11 years ....this for 2005 5.4 3v only.

Please read link...>>>2005 5.4 3v injector letter: Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 07M08 - F150online Forums

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.