Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, January 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Whopper Junior

morfn321 is on a distinguished road
Default P0171 code

Truck just threw a P0171 code the other day. I have a 04 f150 with a custom 89 tow tune that I run all the time. I just got the tune 1 month ago, do you think its the tune thats causing the code? Should I return the truck back to stock. Truck has never had any problems and I didnt notice any performance issues.
Old Wed, January 19th, 2011, 02:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfn321 View Post
Truck just threw a P0171 code the other day. I have a 04 f150 with a custom 89 tow tune that I run all the time. I just got the tune 1 month ago, do you think its the tune thats causing the code? Should I return the truck back to stock. Truck has never had any problems and I didnt notice any performance issues.
It's telling you the oxygen sensor on the passenger side has detected a "lean" condition. These are common causes:
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. If you have an "oiled" air filter it could foul the MAF sensor if the filter is over-oiled.

A vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor can cause this too, but I doubt this is the problem.
My money is on the MAF sensor, given the age of your truck. When was the sensor last cleaned? I really doubt it's the tune.

Here's a link to cleaning the sensor: How to Clean MAF-2005 5.4 - F150online Forums Notice it's for an 05 model, but I think the 04s are the same.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, January 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Whopper Junior

morfn321 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip. The truck has 61000 miles on it. To my knowledge the sensor has never been cleaned. I dont run an oiled air filter but I will clean the sensor. Should I clear the code and see if it comes back? How long does a code usally take to come back if there is a problem? Thanks
Old Wed, January 19th, 2011, 06:07 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfn321 View Post
Thanks for the tip. The truck has 61000 miles on it. To my knowledge the sensor has never been cleaned. I dont run an oiled air filter but I will clean the sensor. Should I clear the code and see if it comes back? How long does a code usally take to come back if there is a problem? Thanks
Certainly you should clear the code. You can do it right away. I really don't think Bill will have given you a tune that's too lean. He's been writing tunes for 04 trucks for a long time now. As you can see, my truck's an 05, which is VERY similar to yours and I've never had this problem. Supposedly though, the dealership I have my truck serviced at has performed the MAF sensor cleaning. I suppose one day I should check it myself, but "if it ain't broke..."

I used to do almost all my vehicle maintenance. Now, I save that effort for my trailer, which is more than I expected.

- Jack
Old Mon, February 7th, 2011, 05:27 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I'll add some more....

While you're cleaning your MAF .....
Clean your TB.
Change your fuel filter.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.