Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Thu, January 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Whopper Junior

skizriz is on a distinguished road
Default Running rich with custom trans settings??

Got a strange problem, and after tons of searching I found it to have happened to a few other people. The posts always ended with out a solution though.

Here's what I have.
2001 F150 5.4
Edge Evolution.

Truck runs fine on canned 0-1-2-3 settings.
The problem occurs when I try to change the trans settings in the custom options. It happens with all three levels.

I am just looking to raise up the WOT shift points, firm them up, and raise the standard shift points as it shifts too early.
When ever I do that, the truck will run rich, black smoke, barely idles (if it does), and even threw a code. (TPS inconsistant with MAF ?).
When this happens, the Engine Load readout stays around 80%,doesn't change at all.

On my display, running my normal #2 tune, with the tire ratio and gear ratio corrected, I have also noticed strange things happening.

The current gear in the upper right corner will read 1-2-3-4. No P-N-R, even when in P-N or Reverse,it just shows 1. Also no Tq converter lock is ever shown, even when locked up on the highway.

With the current gear in the upper left corner, it reads 1 locked, In park. Then 2-3-4 unlocked.

Depending on where I have the engine load% readout, it will read the same number as what I have next to it,whether it RPM or voltage,etc.

I started talking with Edge a few weeks ago, gave them the info and up-loaded my programmer for them. Still no information on what to do next.

Here are 2 pictures of the display taken back to back. I simply moved paramaters around. The truck was in PARK at the time.

I'm at the point now where I'm ready to box it up and send it back.

Any ideas on what to do next??

Steve
Old Thu, January 20th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

No offense to Edge, they sell a good product but don't service worth a . My suggestion is box it up and sent it to PHP. Have the "mad doctor" look at it and see if he can help. Like I said, it is a great product but there seems to be an error in the codes when you change transmission settings. What else have you done to your truck? Maybe send it back for a refund and buy a graphon from PHP. Same product but WAY better service. Hope this helps.....

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Thu, January 20th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Before you box it up have you tried to update it online?
Old Thu, January 20th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Come Get Some

hampsterzone is on a distinguished road

Great reply longshot270! I was coming back to ask that and you already suggested that.

2012 FX4 Waldoch M80 Edition Supercrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Road Armor Grill Guard, huge smile!
Old Thu, January 20th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Also Skizriz, can you provide some of the threads you found? I can't seem to find any and I dont know what search terms you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampsterzone View Post
Great reply longshot270! I was coming back to ask that and you already suggested that.
Yeah, computers make random errors sometimes. Sometimes you wont know but other times you find out the hard way.
Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 03:25 PM
Whopper Junior

Tried updating it with the Fusion. It says no updates available. I did upload it through Fusion for Edge to figure out what's wrong.

I'd like a Gryphon, but not available for my year truck (with Evo.). Its a 2001.
Besides, being a stock truck, I am just looking to wake the transmission up a little. The shifting is my only complaint about the truck, and has been from day one.

Only thing done to truck is a K-N drop in filter, and Thrush muffler. Never had a code, still don't with canned tunes, only when I adjust the shift points and/or shift firmness.

I called Edge again yesterday and left a message. Haven't heard back from them yet.
May be time to box it up and send it back to where I bought it from.

Here's a link to others with the same problem.
help with edge evo - F150online Forums
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/1997-...unes-edge.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...-question.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...ough-idle.html

FWIW...I cleaned my MAF sensor about a month ago.

I just don't know whether it's the Evo, the truck, or me that is the problem.

Thanks for the help, it's more than I seem to be recieving from Edge.

Last edited by skizriz; Sat, January 22nd, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old Fri, January 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I dont have much to add except that you can get a Gryphon CS or CTS for your truck.
I had an 01 with a Gryphon and it never showed whether the TC was locked or not, I have never seen anything except a 1,2,3, or 4 in my gear selection box as well.
I did notice on my old truck that if I adjusted the WOT fueling the truck would run like crap, exactly how you are describing. I dont know if that is related to the same thing because I could adjust almost everything else and nothing would happen, but to be sure about things, if you really want anything like that adjusted I would get the Gryphon CS and have Bill do it for you. I know its not the answer you were hoping for, or one you could afford either lol, but Its my advice . With your mods you dont necessarily need custom tunes, but they will always help, plus Bill's shifting strategies arent Edge's, so you might like them better from the start.

Hope I could help
Old Sat, January 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

skizriz - The only thing I've ever seen that comes close to what you describe is when people try changing the WOT fuel setting. You didn't say you changed that, but for some, when they did, their truck would hardly run at all.

Other than that, I have no suggestions for you except to give it back to Edge. Possibly they'd trade it for a CS.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, January 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Whopper Junior

. I've already sent in to Autoanything.com where I bought it, about a return/exchange. I talked to Edge again last night, and still got the same thing. "They are still looking into it".
Still no answers.

Where I really scratch my head it that even on level one, which is supposed trans only, if I bump up the shift firmness and shift points it has the same outcome. Runs rich.
What would the shift points have to do with the "TPS inconsistant with MAF" code that I got?

I'll give the WOT fuel a try and see what happens. Still don't want to go through the trouble of an exchange.

Reprogramming right now.
Level 1
tire size 2565
gear ratio 3.55
rev limit 5,200
wot shift points 4,800 4,800 4,600
shift firmness +10 +10 +8
standard shift + to max

I turned the WOT fuel down as far as it would go It was reading +1.6, went down to +.9

Update. No change. Lumpy idle around 900 rpm, sounds like it has a huge cam. Black smoke, hesitation. Engine load % display is stuck at 70%,even at idle.

Last edited by skizriz; Sat, January 22nd, 2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old Sat, January 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Whopper Junior

I returned it to stock, checked once again for updates (there are none), and pulled my NEG terminal off to reset the truck's computer.

Figured I'd start from the very beginning and see if that helps.

Update #1 Have it on #2 setting now. Only changed tire size, gear ratio, and shift firmness. Runs OK like that.

Update#2 Ran good like that.so..... Bumped up the WOT fuel setting to see what would happen. Back to running like crap.

Update #3 Figured great at least I found what's causing the problem. Bumped the WOT fuel setting back down to where it was in update #1. STILL runs like crap.

Update #4 Gave up, reset it to canned #2,started drinking beer.

Last edited by skizriz; Sat, January 22nd, 2011 at 06:58 PM.