Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

fifity is on a distinguished road
Default Dually to SRW question

I have an 02 Dually...and uh...even when I do tow its only about 9 or so thousand pounds...

The truck is a daily driver and my Parking lot at my work leaves me about 1 inch on each side to squeeze in and out.

How hard is it to convert it to SRW? My buddies family owns a body shop and I might (I mean might) get a deal on cleaning up the bed if I removed the flares.

Is it possible, or rather reasonable to remove the factory dually flares and patch and paint the sides (is it a standard bed with just flares pinned on?)

And after that, would it just be a matter of removing the front adapters, and then purchasing 4 new wheels and tires?

Or am I waaay off?
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Sounds about right, but I have never done the conversion.
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM

I wonder if the rear axle from the dually will have a decent enough offset to match up with front... custom offset wheels a la Keizer etc get expensive...
Time to search for a pic of a dually bed with the flares off to see how much body work it would take.
Old Wed, April 14th, 2010, 08:35 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

There are a lot of holes left behind in the bed but it will be do-able.

I wouldn't worry about the rear axle as you won't have enough difference in width to notice. You will have to get lug studs for the front hubs...the ones that are on there for the adapters are a bit short and a different thread than the studs sticking out for the adapters.
Old Thu, April 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Robert6401 is on a distinguished road

Dude, don't do it! You can never have too much truck! When I got my F250 I never towed anything over a few thousand pounds and it was definitely overkill. I mean people used to ask me, "what do you tow with that thing?" And my smartazz response was "whatever I want!" Knowing full well that in reality the truck was way more than I needed. I just WANTED a diesel, crew cab, 4wd ford.

Look at me now, 5 years later I'm towing a 38' 5th wheel and wish I'd had the foresight to get a dually back then. As it is, I can't afford another truck (this one is paid off) and other than towing overweight this truck has never given me a reason to replace it.

All I'm getting at is that you may not NEED the dually right now. But a few years from now you may seriously regret putting the time and money into REDUCING the capability of your truck.

2003 F250 Lariat 7.3PSD CC SB FX4

Kwik (6637) Filter, RE 2.5" leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, TC Lock, Fumoto, EBPV/Exhaust Brake,6.0 Tranny Cooler, AIH Delete, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP Phoenix stock, 25tow, 40tow, 65tow, 80dd, 100perf, In-tank mods, Muffler Delete, WW, FRx,HPx, JW Stage 1 Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM
-Pulling a 38' Forest River Sierra 5th Wheel
Old Sun, April 18th, 2010, 09:15 AM
No spark plugs please

Kwikkordead is on a distinguished road

Bob, what about you two trading trucks?
1996 Audi A4 Quattro. Unstoppable in the snow and ice.
The single most important thing in life is the condition of the human soul. All deeds, whether they are good or evil, spring up from that.
Old Sun, April 18th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Whopper

DIRTBIKEZ is on a distinguished road

There is a very good chance you can find someone relatively close who is looking to make their SRW a DRW. Should be able to make the swap in a weekend.
Old Sat, April 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Not alot of Diesels in my parts...lots of prius's though...