Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road
Default More Stupid Questions About Stuff I Have No Buisness Asking About

So... "Fast" injectors... I get a lot of run around asking about these...

I am just wondering basics of making them run and what the differences are.

Seems like to make it "fast" you have to increase the pressures all the way around... Spring pressures, opening up orfices, who knows what else... But I think the spring pressures on the nozzle valve are really important. If that pressure is higher, it seems like to have ICP reasonable, you'd have to advance SOI so that it would have time to overcome that pressure?

To make large nozzles idle without a lot of smoke, would you advance SOI and jack ICP up so that you get good atomization?
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 06:26 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
So... "Fast" injectors... I get a lot of run around asking about these...

I am just wondering basics of making them run and what the differences are.

Seems like to make it "fast" you have to increase the pressures all the way around... Spring pressures, opening up orfices, who knows what else... But I think the spring pressures on the nozzle valve are really important. If that pressure is higher, it seems like to have ICP reasonable, you'd have to advance SOI so that it would have time to overcome that pressure?

To make large nozzles idle without a lot of smoke, would you advance SOI and jack ICP up so that you get good atomization?
I have no idea about the first question since every injector "builder" is going to do something different to make the injector saturate and empty faster....it's all about the amount of fuel delivered in a short amount of time which revolves around how fast the oil can fill the intensifier and how quickly the fuel chamber can be emptied.

The second one is easy. Shorten the pulse width (injector on-time) and slightly increase the ICP.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Love Games?

Just wondering. What's your setup? And have you tuned many high HP trucks? Not being a SA. Really just curious because I have a lot more questions.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I've tuned quite a few stock trucks. AA, AB, and AD injectors only. No big oil, no fancy stuff. I know what I like a truck to run like so therefore that's what I do. It turns out that a lot of other folks like what I do too.

I did put ADs in a 96 and tuned for that.

My setup is absolutely boring. It's a great-driving '01 with PMRs, a "mechanical diode" intermediate sprag, no lift, stock size tires, and USA turbo. Max power? 321 corrected. Whoopadee-doo.

It makes a great test bed though.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, October 14th, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Love Games?

Cool! Hell, if I had Minotaur, all I'd be focused on is having my truck set up for EVERY situation... So I dont blame you!

Are the single shots a whole lot different?
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

That's really what I focus on right now because there is about zero demand for super-high performance diesels. The most you really see around here is Edge Juice or similar HPOP modules that folks paid way too much for. Nobody is interested in making 400+ HP but they really want better response, better shifting, and the ability to tow safely at the same time.

I have about 6-7 different programs per HP level for towing, daily driving, or performance. I have about 9 levels per PCM calibration for the SD trucks and 3-4 for the OBS trucks...each with varying amounts of accelerator pedal feel and fueling rates. I created them to be compatible with any situation.....but I'm constantly changing and rebuilding them into more superior programs the more I learn from asking questions or changing certain functions.

Single shots different? Yeah, there are a couple maps in the tuning software that have to be changed. I think Bill wrote a long article about it over at PSN.....I'll go find it quickly.......

Here it is:
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37114

Enjoy!
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Love Games?

So, do you live tune as a side job?
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I wouldn't call it a "side job" so much as a hobby. I haven't gotten enough of my investment out of it yet to justify calling it a job.

It just happens to be something I think I'm good at and something that makes my brain work hard (since my 8-5 job wouldn't challenge a monkey).
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Love Games?

See, that's what I'd like to know. Do you think I could get started with tuning a 7.3 for under $800? All I need the Minotaur package? Then I have to buy all the different PCM codes too, right?

Have you tuned any D-max's?
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 09:49 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Nope. No Duramaxes.

To tune your own with Minotaur you'd have to get with Corey. I am not sure of the price but you'd get a lot of practice with your truck to start with. I just jumped in head first with 13 definition files from Sniper and 4 from Bill.