Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:22 PM
Whopper Junior

amcguru is on a distinguished road
Default News member, New truck, looking for input

A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky enough to stumble across a clean & low mile '03 7.3 Excursion at a very fair asking price. I have been looking for a while and I'm pretty well set on a PHP tune but I have a few questions.

I'm considering the following:
1) Phoenix w/65 dd, 40 tow, stock and high idle tunes.
2) Intake (AIS w/fender sleeve or AFE)
3) MBRP or Banks exhaust (witch ever is quieter).
4) Possible torque converter upgrade (Precision/ATS/Suncoast)
5) Early style compressor wheel (not sure if it's worth while at this level)

I would like the truck to perform similar to a stock 6.0 when unloaded but I don't want to add so much that drivetrain reliablity becomes an issue. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

First off, you seem to be on the right track as far as modifications go.

Get yourself a pyrometer (EGT gauge) at a minimum and have fun driving it. Your calibration choices sound good to me as do the intake and exhaust modifications. I wouldn't worry about changing the compressor impeller until you know whether or not you are going to have surge issues. Believe it or not, the early wheel, albeit less likely to surge, actually flows less air and is not as efficient as the stock wheel. So hold off on that until you know you need it.

Oh, and I wouldn't want my truck to run like a 6.0L. I like my engine to actually do something below 2200 RPM.
Old Sun, March 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Whopper Junior

amcguru is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I forgot to mention that guages are on order.
Old Mon, March 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

Robert6401 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Believe it or not, the early wheel, albeit less likely to surge, actually flows less air and is not as efficient as the stock wheel. So hold off on that until you know you need it.

Cody, this is the first time I have heard this. I was planning to upgrade to a Wicked Wheel to eliminate the surging I get, but am not crazy about the fact that it will flow less air. What causes them to have more of a whistle?

2003 F250 Lariat 7.3PSD CC SB FX4

Kwik (6637) Filter, RE 2.5" leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, TC Lock, Fumoto, EBPV/Exhaust Brake,6.0 Tranny Cooler, AIH Delete, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP Phoenix stock, 25tow, 40tow, 65tow, 80dd, 100perf, In-tank mods, Muffler Delete, WW, FRx,HPx, JW Stage 1 Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM
-Pulling a 38' Forest River Sierra 5th Wheel
Old Mon, March 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

That's how surge is eliminated: Less airflow at relatively low compressor wheel speeds. By looking at a compressor efficiency map, the surge line is on the far left of the "island" where the pressure ratio is too high for the actual airflow through the compressor. In simpler terms, the boost is too high for the actual amount of airflow through the engine and the compressor flow comes way out of it's efficiency range.

A ported compressor housing (such as the ATS unit) also slightly lowers flow.

The noise is simply a function of the impeller design. The staggered-height vanes aren't as "clean" as the standard 99.5-03 impellers as far as chopping up the air is concerned.
Old Tue, March 23rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

I heard the earlier trucks had the wicked wheel is that true? I would do the 80 hp daily seems to work the best for me and Im mostly stock. Mpg I mean!
Old Tue, March 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Yup........same wheel.