Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

fifity is on a distinguished road
Default Swamps IDM in...

Ok, the missus bought me a swamps IDM for our anniversary...sorry. she is an only child.

And as much as I complain about her, she lets me have as many cars, motorcycles and guns as I want. In fact, she found our house because it had a huge (for our neck of the woods) garage.

Anyways. Its swamps version with all the trimmings, voltage and frequency bump. I have no idea what this means, ask cody or Dave or Bill. I ride the special bus when it comes to computers.

So the install was..well interesting. I hate the dang wheel liners. Got that out, the IDM was two 10mm and then a 7mm I think to separate it from the bracket. Install is reverse and Bob's your uncle...

Fired her up. I couldn't notice a change in that, but I pulled out a 120 volt IDM...Most people have posted the fire up was quicker.

Backed her out of the drive and ran around the neighborhood. Throttle response is much...much nicer.

Worth the 275? This week will tell. I didn't drive it around enough to tell. But after the phoenix and this, its drives like it should have from the factory (speed wise).

I may need to look into a little more power down the road to help light up those pesky dually's out back though...
Old Wed, April 7th, 2010, 08:15 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Nice!

Good to hear you got it in, the wheel wells can be a real bear sometimes.
Old Fri, April 9th, 2010, 06:57 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Got a heckuva deal there... on both the missus and the IDM. Let us know how you like it once you get some seat time.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sat, April 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM

All right, mid week review. 200 miles on...Starting from stop lights is even better. The little hesitation, or rather throttle pedal movement with little or no acceleration is gone. I would say the amount of improvement from stock to 80dd is the same amount of improvement from 80dd to 80dd with the IDM.

I have to say its definitely worth it. Above 1900 rpm, I can't tell a difference other than slightly better passing response (not power, just initial response). But the Chip was way bigger difference in that department.

I would say its like putting on new spark plugs on a gasser that had reaaaly old oily sooty plugs.
Old Sat, April 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

That sounds about what I'd expect. It's sort of the same thing we see on the 6.0L FICM. Very little (if anything) about 1800-2000 RPM, but off the line it's a nice improvement.

Hopefully you'll have some mileage results soon.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Sat, April 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Yeah, the day to day driving has picked up nicely. I can't imagine it will do much for the long 2000 rpm hauls on the freeway.

If only I could slip something onto my patrol car to pick it up, something that I could plug into the obd 2 port (hint hint)
Old Sat, April 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

Good to hear about Swamp's IDM. I don't think I'll get their modded one, but I just purchased some things to do the voltage mod myself. If all goes well I have 4 to do on my family's trucks. I had heard about the voltage mod and somewhat grasped the concept, but I was unsure about the frequency mod.

I did some looking and found this link from Swamps which describes just about everything. High-Performance IDMs by Swamp's Diesel Performance Then if you look there are a bunch other related links on the same page. Might take a few times reading it before my head stops going like this ->

Last edited by F-127; Sun, April 11th, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: I said I was unsure about the voltage mod, meant frequency
Old Sun, April 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM

Well, what is your patrol car? Crown Vic?

(678) 890-1110

Old Sun, April 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Yep a crown vic. Assortedyears from 2005 to current depending on the week and if anyone has shot my car up

Lately mine has been a 2009 i think...

Dont tease me...Im already drooling at what I hope you have...