Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Minotaur Newb

967.3L4x4 is on a distinguished road
Question Let me get this striaght, F.U., F.U.2, Minotaur

So in a little while I will be needing a chip. I plan on stage IIs, and the suporting mods eventually. So I want to get a chip that will be flexible to the changes on my truck.

F.U.- I get all the basic tunes available to me and it cost $30 everytime I want a custom tune, say for stage IIs. - $475

F.U.2- I get all the basic tunes available and when ever I need one tweaked I contact PHP and its free or depending on what it is there may be some cost. - $695

Minotaur-Of course the ability to tune yourself. - $675

Now with the Minotaur, I thought I read that Bill can/will send you his basic tunes too. I don't know if there is a charge or anything though. Now it will be a while before I will need tunes for any big modifications but I would love to get rid of my 1999 Superchip Tuner as soon as I can. So my plan was if I get the Minotaur package then I can get the basic tunes from Bill with it. I can then get rid of the Sperchip and have the software to play around with and get to know while runnig Bill's tunes. Then when it comes time for the stage IIs or whatnot, I can either tune it myself if im good enough by then or have Bill write me a tune and then I'll have the power right away and then make changes as I learn. If this is true then Minotaur is well worth it. I think I have something wrong becuase the Minotaur is $20 less than the F.U.2.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
John
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 967.3L4x4 View Post
So in a little while I will be needing a chip. I plan on stage IIs, and the suporting mods eventually. So I want to get a chip that will be flexible to the changes on my truck.

F.U.- I get all the basic tunes available to me and it cost $30 everytime I want a custom tune, say for stage IIs. - $475 Actually, "stage 2" programming will be a higher cost due to the more involved tuning required to make them "run".

F.U.2- I get all the basic tunes available and when ever I need one tweaked I contact PHP and its free or depending on what it is there may be some cost. - $695 You'll get a chip burner and the PhoenixFlash application so Bill can simply e-mail you different programs. This might be the hot ticket if you plan on "stage 2" injectors since small changes may need to be made for seamless operation.....and playing the "shipping game" with the chip takes a TON of time away from actually driving the truck.

Minotaur-Of course the ability to tune yourself. - $675 Yes, and it can be very fun and rewarding. I don't spend every waking moment tuning, but I have been doing it for a year.....and there are a couple things that are still a mystery for me.

Now with the Minotaur, I thought I read that Bill can/will send you his basic tunes too. I don't know if there is a charge or anything though. There shouldn't be a charge since the website states that the basic tunes for a stock truck come with the definition file you purchase for your truck. I didn't get any with mine, but I may have been a special case since I bought 4 of them.Now it will be a while before I will need tunes for any big modifications but I would love to get rid of my 1999 Superchip Tuner as soon as I can. So my plan was if I get the Minotaur package then I can get the basic tunes from Bill with it. I can then get rid of the Sperchip and have the software to play around with and get to know while runnig Bill's tunes. Then when it comes time for the stage IIs or whatnot, I can either tune it myself if im good enough by then or have Bill write me a tune and then I'll have the power right away and then make changes as I learn. If this is true then Minotaur is well worth it. I think I have something wrong becuase the Minotaur is $20 less than the F.U.2. It's a good plan. However, aimlessly typing in values into Minotaur isn't recommended. A good working knowledge of powerstroke operation isn't necessary, but MAN, is it helpful. Otherwise, it's a shot in the dark wondering why you see things relating oil temperature to start of injection.

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks,
John
No sweat. Please feel free to ask questions. I know Bill is more than capable of making programs for your truck should you decide on modifications down the road.

If it makes you feel any better about putting larger injectors in your truck.....you won't know how to act with some actual fuel delivery!!
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Minotaur Newb

Thanks for the response. I know a bit about the powerstroke but certainly not everything. Thats another for the Minotaur, help me learn. I dont plan on shots in the dark and will do a lot of research and ask many questions before just changing out values to see what happens.

To me it seems like the Minotaur is the way to go even if I dont use the personal tunning right away. If I can still use tunes by Bill while learning tunning myself then its better than the FU2 even if it cost 50-60 bucks for a custom tune from Bill. Most likely going to get eth Minotaur in a month or so. I have a Dana 60 to buy first....

Thanks
John
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

EXCELLENT!
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 967.3L4x4 View Post
Thanks for the response. I know a bit about the powerstroke but certainly not everything. Thats another for the Minotaur, help me learn. I dont plan on shots in the dark and will do a lot of research and ask many questions before just changing out values to see what happens.

To me it seems like the Minotaur is the way to go even if I dont use the personal tunning right away. If I can still use tunes by Bill while learning tunning myself then its better than the FU2 even if it cost 50-60 bucks for a custom tune from Bill. Most likely going to get eth Minotaur in a month or so. I have a Dana 60 to buy first....

Thanks
John
Okay, let me see if I can help a bit. The FU wouldn't work for you because of your injectors. So you'd be looking at the FU2 (custom tuned 6-position chip and burner) and/or Minotaur. The FU2 package is $675. You wouldn't need everything that comes in the Minotaur Package if you purchased the FU2 first, but you can purchase the Minotaur Software, MDF, and base calibrations for your PCM code for an additional $450. So when all was said and done, you'd have a 6-position chip, a chip burner, 6 custom files, the Minotaur Software, the MDF for your truck, and access to all of the base calibrations that we have for your truck for $1125. Whew!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
No sweat. Please feel free to ask questions. I know Bill is more than capable of making programs for your truck should you decide on modifications down the road.

If it makes you feel any better about putting larger injectors in your truck.....you won't know how to act with some actual fuel delivery!!
Cody, Bill didn't realize -- until I just told him -- that you hadn't received your base calibrations. He's gonna fix that as soon as he has a minute.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Mon, August 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Chick View Post
Cody, Bill didn't realize -- until I just told him -- that you hadn't received your base calibrations. He's gonna fix that as soon as he has a minute.
That would be really cool and appreciated. I've just adopted the notion that he had faith in my abilities.....

Thanks, Corey!
Old Wed, August 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Minotaur Newb

Quote:
Okay, let me see if I can help a bit. The FU wouldn't work for you because of your injectors. So you'd be looking at the FU2 (custom tuned 6-position chip and burner) and/or Minotaur. The FU2 package is $675. You wouldn't need everything that comes in the Minotaur Package if you purchased the FU2 first, but you can purchase the Minotaur Software, MDF, and base calibrations for your PCM code for an additional $450. So when all was said and done, you'd have a 6-position chip, a chip burner, 6 custom files, the Minotaur Software, the MDF for your truck, and access to all of the base calibrations that we have for your truck for $1125. Whew!
Ok so if I buy the Minotaur now then I save the $450, right? The Minotaur package comes with everything the FU2 does plus the Minotaur Software?? For the same price? Basicly all that I get from buying the FU2 first is the 6 custom files? But if I have the Minotaur then I can buy a few custom files for how much?

Thanks for the help.
SD HPOP, 6" Miter cuts, 3" plenums
Rosewood Stage IIs, Built tranny.
Minotaur with some tunes from Bill

Planning: Traction bars, HPOP, Nitrous??
Old Wed, August 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

You could purchase the Minotaur package for $675; custom tunes are $60 each. There's a $10 difference whether you buy Minotaur first or second.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, August 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Minotaur Newb

Quote:
You could purchase the Minotaur package for $675; custom tunes are $60 each. There's a $10 difference whether you buy Minotaur first or second.
Ok thanks for the help.
SD HPOP, 6" Miter cuts, 3" plenums
Rosewood Stage IIs, Built tranny.
Minotaur with some tunes from Bill

Planning: Traction bars, HPOP, Nitrous??