Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, August 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Whopper Junior

rcgrissom is on a distinguished road
Default Help w/rough start 04 Xcursion

Newbie. Just registered. I am desparately searching for help to solve rough start issue with my 2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L diesel. Please bear with me with this long post, but need to provide background to issue and what work has been done to try to solve the problem. Let me say up front....thanks so very much to anyone who posts suggestions/recommendations how I might solve this problem...short of blowing it up! (Location: Atlanta, TEXAS)

BTW...I know just enough about diesel engines to be dangerous! I'm a a so-called jack of all trades...master of none. Tell/show me how to do it and I don't mind attacking the issue.

Have had cold start issue for more than a year now. Cold start also includes warm start where truck it left to sit with motor off for an hour or so. When starts, have same issues, although not as severe as a full cold start.

Truck will start, but sounds terrible. Sluggish, chugging, sounds like cylinder missing or something. If you try to drive before five minutes or so of idling, the truck won't hardly move. You can push the fuel pedal to the floor and nothing happens. One truck warms up, it's like nothing is wrong. Note: mileage is not what it used to be.

Work performed to try to solve problem: Have used a diesel mechanic from dealership since truck was new. In past year, he's replaced 10 fuel injectors (one trip he replaced all 8 injectors, remanuf.) Replaced turbo two months ago.

Frustrated, carried to another dealership and they replaced fuel pump and reprogrammed FICM to "new" set. When picked up truck, it starts better, sounds smoother. Still a bit sluggish, though. But worse...there was a 1.5 second delay in fuel pedal response all the time...hot or cold. This was unacceptable and possibly dangerous when driving in heavy traffic. Called dealer and they said it does that to protect the turbo. Crock!

Trying to troubleshoot, I remembered I had a Superchips Flashpaq program unit I've not used for some time. (Had been running stock for months.) Attempted to change program on truck, but due to new "Ford" program, the unit had to be updated. Did this online, then added the performance option to the truck. Low and behold, the lag time on accelleration is gone! Still have the rough start issue, but not as bad as it was a month ago.

Searching online, I found a post ford-trucks.com about testing FICM. Symptoms sounded just like issues I am experiencing. I thought...had to have bad solder points on the FICM. Well this morning, I tested the FICM with a multimeter as outlined and all readings were just where they should be. So guess the FICM is okay.

Original head gaskets, etc. No after market motor modifications.

I've spent close to $8,000 at two dealerships in the past year trying to get this issue resolved. Stupid, yes, but remember I'm not a professional mechanic so I have to rely on others saying they can fix my problem. ALSO, the Excursion is paid for and they don't make em anymore.

Found PHP's website after testing the FICM this morning and wondered if a custom program would solve the issues I have. Or are there other things going on here. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am whacked out and don't really know what to do next!!!

BTW...when I plugged in the flashpaq I ran diagnostics and it gave me these error codes: P0275 cyl 5 contribution/balance fault; P0401 Exh. gas recirc. flow insufficient delete; P0603 internal ctrl mod kam error.
Old Sat, August 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

FICM reflash, ECM rollback, and two bottles of Rev-X.

The acceleration lag when warm can be helped with a FICM reflash and the cold start problem may be cured with the Rev-X treatment. The ECM rollback can complement the FICM reflash as well as get the fuel economy back.
Old Sun, August 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Double Whopper

Farmer11 is on a distinguished road

^^^ exactly what he said. I had the same problems with my 03 F350, did this, and now its like a completely different truck. I know its maybe hard to believe that a the oil additive makes that big of a difference, but within 2-3 minutes idling i could already hear the difference in the motor. much smoother, no knocking. I took it out for a test drive, put it to the floor out of the driveway and it took off like the engine had been hot already.
Old Tue, August 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Whopper Junior

Does the Rev-X treatment compare to Hot Shot's Secret additive? I've used Hot Shots and it didn't help any.
Old Tue, August 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

It's completely different.
Old Tue, August 24th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Whopper Junior

I ordered the Rev-X today. Now how to address the FICM reflash and ECM rollback. Can I accomplish these with a Gryphon? If I am viewing your info on website correctly, I can add custom programs if I have the Cryphon CTS?

I called Tuesday morning, but recording said not available for calls until after 12 noon. I'd like to talk to someone Wednesday. Please advise. Or my cell number is 9037489263. thanks!
Old Wed, August 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

The CTS cannot be used for ECM rollback or FICM reflashes. That will require either having the remote FICM programmer to be sent to you or having you send your FICM/ECM to us.

The wait time on the FICM programmer is approaching a month due to an abundance of orders for FICM reflashing.

We can definitely do custom tuning for your Excursion by way of the CTS though.

The order forms for the items are on our "ORDERING" tab on the website.