Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Whopper Junior

hpdiniz is on a distinguished road
Default Should I get a 91 tow tune?

Greetings…

I have a 2004 f150 with 5.4, 3 valve engine, tow package, 3.73 gears, stock except for the “Gotts” mode. I may install some type of high flow air filter in the stock air-box at some point, but that would be about it. I have a Gryphon with the canned tunes and run it exclusively on level 2 (tow) I have been very happy with it but as with most of you, I’m ready to upgrade to custom tunes from PHP. I tow a 2006 sportsmaster 21 foot TT with dry weight of 3800 lbs. Wet I figure just under 5000 lbs (will be weighing it soon) I have a weight distribution hitch with sway control as well.

This August we will be making a trip from the San Francisco bay area to Reno Nevada pulling the TT. As some of you may know, to get to Reno, I will have to go up I80, over the Donner Pass. Donner Pass is about 7200 feet elevation. Since I have never ventured far from flat land, I’m a little freaked out about this trip, but the wife will not let me back out…

So I need some advice from the experts. I plan to get the 87 custom tow tune but was wondering if a 91 custom tow would be beneficial for that mountain pass I’m so worried about?? I don’t mind paying for the tune and the premium fuel. I also don’t mind hanging with the big rigs going up the pass but don’t want to be holding up traffic either.

I called PHP a few times but didn’t get though. I know they’re very busy so I figured I’d post on the forum. Maybe even Bill might chime in??

Also, what information should I add to the order form to make Sure Bill has all the information to provide the best tune possible for my application?

Thanks in advance…
Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I wouldn't bother. I've never used 91 octane gas in my truck and I tow a travel trailer that weighs about 3600# (empty). I've pulled it over the high passes in Colorado (Red Mountain and Monarch, among others) that are 11,000+ feet high with no trouble at all. I pass all the big rigs toiling up the slopes with no difficulty.

On long uphill climbs I lock the transmission in 2nd gear to keep it from shifting up and down. I do the same thing on long downhill slopes to use engine braking instead of wheel brakes.

I honestly doubt you'd see that much advantage in pulling power with a 91 octane tow tune. These trucks were designed to burn 87 octane. I'd stick with that.

I was born near Donner Pass in the town of Grass Valley. Some day I need to get back there.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, April 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdiniz View Post
I called PHP a few times but didn’t get though. I know they’re very busy so I figured I’d post on the forum. Maybe even Bill might chime in??

Also, what information should I add to the order form to make Sure Bill has all the information to provide the best tune possible for my application?
Me? Chime in? Not a chance!

Like Jack said, I wouldn't bother with the 91 Tow tune. The 87 Octane program is going to run just as effectively and save you quite a bit in fuel costs running the lower octane fuel. 5000 Lbs. is certainly noticeable behind you, but you really shouldn't have any problem pulling it. I pulled my 14' tandem axle flatbed with about 2000 Lbs. of video games through the mountains of NC and SC with my Expedition at 75-80 MPH with no concern at all except to keep on eye on my tranny temps. They'd crest 200º on really hard pulls. Keeping in mind that I have a 3.30:1 gear ratio, that's not bad at all.

As for information, just make sure that you include all the requested information on the order form and make sure to indicate that you're pulling a 4500-5000 Lb camper. That's really all we should need.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, April 30th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Whopper Junior

Very cool!! thanks to both of you for the response and the real real world towing experience.

Since the 91 tow tune does not make sense, I'll opt for an 87 tow and 87 performance tune.

I wish I had made it a priority to weigh the trailer but will be sure to include the max weight even though I don't plan to ever load it to the limit. I'm fairly sure it weighs about 5K ready to camp.

Jack, I have friends in the Grass valley area and it is one of the best areas in California. I wish I could live there but I chose engineering and now I'm kind of stuck in the Silicon Valley area, where traffic is bad and housing worse.

OK one last question, at least for now, I was looking at the order forms and need some clarification, I see order forms for a 2004-2008 F-150 Evolution
and 1997-2011 F-150 CS & CTS. I'm not sure which to use since I have a Gryphon. My original order form for the unit says "Gryphon Programer 2005-2008 F150" Item number GPFG150-0408. Please let me know which form to use.

Thanks...
Old Mon, April 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

It sounds like you have a monochrome Gryphon? (No multi-color analog gauge display?) If that is the case, I'd use the 2004-2008 F-150 Evolution form. The tunes are the same in any case, but with yours you upload them to your unit using Pegasus.

If you bought your Gryphon from PHP, they'll have a record of it too.

- Jack
Old Mon, April 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Whopper Junior

Yes i do have the monochrome, i think, it is the gryphon that has the canned evelution tunes. I think i can change the background colors only. Let me know if you still think i should be using the evolution order form- thanks
Old Wed, May 2nd, 2012, 10:49 AM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdiniz View Post
Yes i do have the monochrome, i think, it is the gryphon that has the canned evelution tunes. I think i can change the background colors only. Let me know if you still think i should be using the evolution order form- thanks
Yes - DO use the Evolution order form.

- Jack