Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, December 27th, 2021, 09:39 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of
Default 7.3L 38R Turbo Wheel Comparison

Here's one from the archives! Enjoy.

Wicked Wheel G2 for 38R Test Results

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, December 28th, 2021, 10:46 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Going way back! It sucks that the thread ended before any real world customers got back with results.

Nobody talks about the 38R anymore except to convince people not to buy one. I have one - used freebie - not impressed. On the 2000 2wd (white with red stripes),I'm going back to a stock turbo when I redo the front suspension. Still keeping the 250/200% injectors in it though as I'm too lazy to change them again.
Old Tue, December 28th, 2021, 01:44 PM

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Going way back! It sucks that the thread ended before any real world customers got back with results.

Nobody talks about the 38R anymore except to convince people not to buy one. I have one - used freebie - not impressed.
Yeah, that's pretty much where we're at with it as well. A regular turbo with a Wicked Wheel 2 is a much better configuration. Either that, or a custom build from KC Turbo. Those work really well, too.

25 years into tuning the 7.3L, things have finally reached an equilibrium. Not much going on any more in the way of new development or testing. People have moved on to the 6.4L and 6.7L.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Old Tue, December 28th, 2021, 04:49 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

"Move on" to the 6.4? That's a few stories down from anything that could be considered a rational thought.

The 6.0 is a decent step up if it's one that has lasted this long but the 6.4 will always be something to skip over and go straight to a '15-up 6.7.
Old Wed, December 29th, 2021, 09:04 PM
Big Sky State!!!!

Powerstroke Cowboy is on a distinguished road

Bill, have you tuned any pickups with pulsars GTP38R turbo? If so how has it done?

Cleatus12r. Careful what you say about the 6.4, mine might hear you and deside to lay down and die!! Its got a little over 316k and still runs like a champ. About 100k of it has been done without a certain hindering system on.

Minotaur user.
Old Thu, December 30th, 2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke Cowboy View Post
Bill, have you tuned any pickups with pulsars GTP38R turbo? If so how has it done?
I have not specifically. However, one thing you want to do with tuning any larger turbo is back the ICP and timing down a touch to help get the turbo spooled. Too much ICP and/or timing at low RPM tends to reduce the amount of heat energy in the exhaust and makes the turbo a little laggy off the line. Reduced timing helps low end torque and improves the spool of the turbo. Once RPMs come up, normal timing and ICP curves are fine.

(678) 890-1110

Old Thu, December 30th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Big Sky State!!!!

Powerstroke Cowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I have not specifically. However, one thing you want to do with tuning any larger turbo is back the ICP and timing down a touch to help get the turbo spooled. Too much ICP and/or timing at low RPM tends to reduce the amount of heat energy in the exhaust and makes the turbo a little laggy off the line. Reduced timing helps low end torque and improves the spool of the turbo. Once RPMs come up, normal timing and ICP curves are fine.
Thanks Bill. So I guess no data show what it is capable of. I am sure must folks are scared of the knock off version. After all, it can be had for under 900.00.

Minotaur user.

Tags
38r, 7.3l, diesel, dieselsite, ford, power, stroke, test, turbo, wheel, wicked