Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford - All Other Vehicles > 1994 to 2020 Ford Cars

1994 to 2020 Ford Cars All OBD-II vehicles go here. Mustangs, T-Birds, Cougars, Taurus SHOs, Contours, Focus, Mark-VIIIs, GTs, and anything else you can think of will be right at home.
If you have questions about late model cars or just have a nice one to brag about, here's the spot for you, too!

Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Whopper Junior

monstertrucker is on a distinguished road
Default 1990 460 Speed Density

Bill,

first post from a newbie. I have a 1990 F250 4x4,7.5l, 5 speed zf,4:10 gears on 44TSL's, a mud truck. Engine mods consist of Hedman Headers,Underdrive pulleys, K and N air filter, BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator (set at 41 lbs), a custom 3 inch plenum spacer, a 1 inch throttle body spacer, and timing set at 14 degrees. I have done an EGR and Smog pump delete as well. My question is would any of my mods conflict with the programing in the Pegasis Chip? I don't have the ECU part number in front of me, but I can get it no prob. The truck runs good, but I notice a miss under highway driving conditions (EGR delete?) and I tend to bounce of the rev limiter while racing in the mud. I would love to eliminate those two problems, and i would love an all out race setting for more power while mud racing. Is any of this stuff possible?

Richard Scott
staff of www.monsterphotos.com
Old Sat, December 26th, 2009, 09:59 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertrucker View Post
Bill,

first post from a newbie. I have a 1990 F250 4x4,7.5l, 5 speed zf,4:10 gears on 44TSL's, a mud truck. Engine mods consist of Hedman Headers,Underdrive pulleys, K and N air filter, BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator (set at 41 lbs), a custom 3 inch plenum spacer, a 1 inch throttle body spacer, and timing set at 14 degrees. I have done an EGR and Smog pump delete as well. My question is would any of my mods conflict with the programing in the Pegasis Chip? I don't have the ECU part number in front of me, but I can get it no prob. The truck runs good, but I notice a miss under highway driving conditions (EGR delete?) and I tend to bounce of the rev limiter while racing in the mud. I would love to eliminate those two problems, and i would love an all out race setting for more power while mud racing. Is any of this stuff possible?

Richard Scott
staff of www.monsterphotos.com
I'm not Bill, but I might be able to help.

The modifications will only be helped by some custom tuning. The EEC-4 PCMs are pretty brain dead and don't know much...especially the older speed density ones.

I'll say that the only real problems caused by any of your modifications come from the increased fuel pressure and the headers. The plenum spacer and throttle body spacer aren't doing anything in the way of engine breathing so those don't hurt your drivability.

The EGR delete isn't going to cause a miss. It can cause detonation. Again, your PCM is pretty clueless so it doesn't even have a knock sensor.

As far as the rev limiter goes, it can be taken care of pretty easily but don't expect to gain much as the 460 in stock trim is pretty well out of steam by 3500 RPM anyway (I have dyno charts to prove it).
Old Sun, December 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Richard,

First, let me welcome you to our humble forums. I used to spend a lot of time as a kid in Port Salerno and Stuart, with many a morning spent with dad and granddad snook fishing under the Palm City Bridge and at Roosevelt Bridge. Good times for sure.

The mods that you have shouldn't be too big a deal to handle. As Cody mentioned, the increased fuel pressure probably isn't accomplishing much. Also, we need to closely scrutinize the timing curve to avoid any detonation. When you have a moment, if you could locate the PCM code it would be helpful. This way I can see what we're able to handle for tuning and can give you a better idea of what you could expect.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, December 27th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Whopper Junior

monstertrucker is on a distinguished road

Bill and Cody,

thanks for the reply(s). I will get the PCM code gs soon as I can and post or send them to you. As far as the timing goes, I am open to settinr the timing back to factory specs.
Small world Bill. I cross the Rosevelt on a regular basis. I can't say I have fished the area much, but have been boating down the St Lucie river and the Indian River lagoon. This is definately the place to be if you like fishing. Take care.

Richard