Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

2003 to 2007 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, March 7th, 2012, 04:09 AM
What?

diesellover is on a distinguished road
Default I should have stayed with the OBS…

I rolled by a dealership back in December and a 06 F350 6.0L caught my eye. I stopped, checked it out and the unit only had 74000 miles on it. It felt good, started and ran good so I bought it. About (1) a week later I noticed it was low on coolant, no problem, topped it off. (2) Then I noticed when getting off the freeway and coasting to a stop, the heater starts to blow cold air. Checked coolant level again and found it low again. I spoke with salesman about the problem and he said he would call me back. (3) He never called, so I called him back 3 weeks later. I was then informed that he couldn’t help me because the (4) warranty was out by time. Wait, What? Out by time? Fighting with the dealership got me nowhere and they sold my ODS already. So, I hooked up a pressure gauge to the coolant surge tank with the engine cold and ran it. Gauge maxed out at 15 psi in 1 min 20 sec at an idle. NOT GOOD… Unplugged the turbocharger actuator and tried again to see if the EGR cooler was cracked, but no change. (5) Crap, head gaskets. Removed heads and (6) found etching on the head caused by gasket bounce and 5 of the cylinders pushing combustion in to the coolant passages. Had heads pressure checked, cracked checked and resurfaced then I spent some time on the block. Ordered APR studs, black gaskets, updated oil cooler and EGR delete kit. Received gaskets, oil cooler and studs but (7) no delete kit, it’s on back order. Went to reinstall heads but head gaskets were wrong. (8)I ordered 20mm and got 18mm gaskets. Received the 20’s, installed heads then continued reassembling without EGT delete because it’s my only vehicle. (9) 4 days later the EGR delete came in and it is still sitting there, in the box. On 2/9 I bought a CTS for diesel with custom tunes for the EGR delete from PHP and (10) received a CTS for gas. Not sure if it makes a difference, diesel or gas. I have called and emailed PHP several times about it but no response. Please don’t misunderstand me PHP. I’m sure you have a lot going on. I just hope I get rid of the gremlins that came with the truck before I can’t take it anymore. On the up side, the EGR cooler is still good, engine is no longer building excessive coolant pressure, blows heat from vents while stopped and it is mobile. I must say, doing head gaskets on the 6.0L sucks when the cab is still on. Had to remove the HVAC box and lightly massage the left firewall to get the heads in place without disturbing the new gaskets. As for now, my experience with the 6.0L hasn’t been very good. I hope it gets better.
Old Wed, March 7th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Wow that really sucks. I left a note for Bill. The issue was with Edge shipping you the wrong one. I'm thinking Bill might be able to switch it over but I'm not sure.
Old Wed, March 7th, 2012, 11:34 AM
What?

Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the info Longshot270. I hope I didn’t ruffle anyone’s feathers with the post. If I did, I’m sorry, truly. It’s been a never engine battle with this thing and I hope I’m wining.
Old Wed, March 7th, 2012, 10:56 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Its really going to make you mad when your Black Onyx gaskets fail in 7 months....

Hang in there, trucks can be a real pain sometimes.
Old Thu, March 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
What?

What? Man, don’t tell me that. It’s bad enough that I had to do it once. That was brutal. If or as you say when, I have to it again. I know how not to do it. Sell it… No, I like the truck. I won’t sell it. Should I have done something different like used the OEM head gasket? Next time, I’ll probably pull then engine and have the block machined. As for now, it runs good and gets 16 mpg at the pump on the stock tune.
Old Thu, March 8th, 2012, 10:58 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

OEM's and studs are what seem to be holding the best.
Old Fri, March 9th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Forum Predator

Ok, just found out from another thread that the gas CTS cannot be converted to diesel. In that case you'll need to get with Edge. Just shoot them an email that they sent a gas programmer instead of a diesel.
Old Fri, March 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM
What?

Well Longshot270, I just got off the phone with EDGE and was informed I have to contact the seller about the problem. He was quite direct about the fact if he did not sell it to me it wasn’t his problem and he couldn’t do anything about it. You think I should try something else or be on standby?
Old Fri, March 9th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Forum Predator

Ok, I'll let Corey know.

The programmer might have come from PHP then. I thought they were having all of the programmers shipped out from Edge, I may have been wrong.
Old Fri, March 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
What?

The CTS did come from EDGE but PHP billed me for it. The invoice from PHP says I ordered a Diesel CTS but the invoice in the box from EDGE says Gas. The CTS also says Gas.