Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Double Whopper

zeuss is on a distinguished road
Default Start up Smoke

Try to make simple. 3 weeks ago truck didn't want to start at 30 degree. when did it would chug and smoke like heck. Took to shop , glow plugs good, relay replaced, new orings on injectors installed. They sent the injectors out for testing and the result was they were down about 10 percent while higher rpm and good at idle. They recommend replace but i didnt caue ran good and 120k on them. Got truck back and starts at 0 degree without plugged in. But it smokes like one guy said, a 4020 deere, til warm. Then cleans up and is fine. It doesnt chug anymore since new orings and starts fine. I am running in stock setting on chip. When in this setting am i actually in my pcm or a program put on chip. Any input would be appreciated. THanks.
Zoodad
PHP stock, 40,60,80,100, and whisper
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

What color is the smoke?
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Double Whopper

Mostly white, but got to admit a lil blue. truck doesn't seem to use any oil. smells like somone is dumping staight diesel out when smoking. this happens for about 8 to 12 minutes.
Zoodad
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 08:48 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

My truck has always smoked for the first 5-10 minutes after a sub 15 degree start. It was -31 here today and it started right up.....but smoked pretty good until I left the house 20 minutes later. I've also got 130K on my truck and it DOES need injectors.

The glow plugs are on for 120 seconds when the engine is that cold. Once they turn off, the engine is relying on compression heat to burn the fuel efficiently.

The smoke, if it smells like raw diesel fuel, IS unburned fuel. The stock setting on the chip DOES NOT use the original PCM for anything.

I replaced the glow plugs in my friend's truck about a month ago....even though they tested fine by every measure of the word. The difference in cold starting is night and day.
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
My truck has always smoked for the first 5-10 minutes after a sub 15 degree start. It was -31 here today and it started right up.....but smoked pretty good until I left the house 20 minutes later. I've also got 130K on my truck and it DOES need injectors.

The glow plugs are on for 120 seconds when the engine is that cold. Once they turn off, the engine is relying on compression heat to burn the fuel efficiently.

The smoke, if it smells like raw diesel fuel, IS unburned fuel. The stock setting on the chip DOES NOT use the original PCM for anything.

I replaced the glow plugs in my friend's truck about a month ago....even though they tested fine by every measure of the word. The difference in cold starting is night and day.
Does this problem I am having sound like a injector issue. It seems to me if I am still getting 15 to 17 this time of year they can't be to bad. I will also say that I am on my 3rd relay in 12,000 miles. So I wondered if even though they tested good there could be a problem. ( More resistance equals more aamps) I didn't ask how they tested them. I have thought about changing them anyway.
Zoodad
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Double Whopper

I will also see what happens in mornig without chip in. This is the first winter I had the chip in and also the first winter I had this problem.
Zoodad
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
BROKE

Like Cody said, the glow plugs are off after 2min or less and should not cause excessive smoke after a few minutes............ but there is definitely an issue there if you keep changing relays.

My truck and many other trucks I have been around have always smoked for quite a while when cold.

Does anyone know how long the Air Intake heater stays on for?

Might be worth looking into.
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
Like Cody said, the glow plugs are off after 2min or less and should not cause excessive smoke after a few minutes............ but there is definitely an issue there if you keep changing relays.

My truck and many other trucks I have been around have always smoked for quite a while when cold.

Does anyone know how long the Air Intake heater stays on for?

Might be worth looking into.
I had resistance tonite on the aih. I don't think the aih comes on while the gpr is actuated though.
Zoodad
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM
BROKE

No.... but it's intent was to reduce cold engine emissions...
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
No.... but it's intent was to reduce cold engine emissions...
I'll have to check it. I'm interested to see what happens in morning withuot the chip in.
Zoodad