Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Whopper

travisunderwood is on a distinguished road
Default Custom tunes at Altitude

I have a 99 F250 Superduty 7.3 - running Gryphon with custom 80tow / 80daily and live in the mountains at Colorado over 7000feet. I have had excessing smoking while driving above 7000 feet with both 80 daily and tow and Bill did a tweak for me which worked great as I drove from Wisconsin back to Colorado. No smoking under load, improved MPG and performance. As I left Denver (at 5000 feet) and went higher the smoke started being noticeable. I do not like driving around belching smoke out all the time, so I switched it back to stock tune and no smoke.

Anyone else running custom PHP tunes at altitude and able to drive normally without belching smoke all the time?

Truck has high flow intake and 4inch exhaust.

I have also emailed Bill, but wanted to see if any other users have experience.

Thanks
Travis
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 03:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisunderwood View Post
I have a 99 F250 Superduty 7.3 - running Gryphon with custom 80tow / 80daily and live in the mountains at Colorado over 7000feet. I have had excessing smoking while driving above 7000 feet with both 80 daily and tow and Bill did a tweak for me which worked great as I drove from Wisconsin back to Colorado. No smoking under load, improved MPG and performance. As I left Denver (at 5000 feet) and went higher the smoke started being noticeable. I do not like driving around belching smoke out all the time, so I switched it back to stock tune and no smoke.

Anyone else running custom PHP tunes at altitude and able to drive normally without belching smoke all the time?

Truck has high flow intake and 4inch exhaust.

I have also emailed Bill, but wanted to see if any other users have experience.

Thanks
Travis
I'm far from being an expert on diesel A/F mixtures, but it sure sounds like you're running rich at altitude, which is the standard problem in that environment. Sounds almost like you need a separate high-altitude tune. But, I would have thought the MAF sensor could keep things balanced - it seems to work for gassers.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 03:39 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm far from being an expert on diesel A/F mixtures, but it sure sounds like you're running rich at altitude, which is the standard problem in that environment. Sounds almost like you need a separate high-altitude tune. But, I would have thought the MAF sensor could keep things balanced - it seems to work for gassers.

- Jack
Yup, I asked Bill about that. We will see. I am not sure if it was really a 'test' but I switched back to the stock tune just to see if there was the same issue which would of been a sensor/computer issue - but issue went away.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 03:43 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Close enough, Jack.

But the 7.3L doesn't use a Mass Air Flow Sensor.

For all intents and purposes, an 80HP tune is going to add a lot of fuel above stock and there is simply not enough air density to support that much fuel while towing.

I would suggest a lower HP towing tune.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 03:47 PM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Close enough, Jack.

For all intents and purposes, an 80HP tune is going to add a lot of fuel above stock and there is simply not enough air density to support that much fuel while towing.

Makes sense. I don't tow that much, so 80 daily had been planned as my primary - and the one I have been using. 80 Tow looks like a smoke show, only tried it once. What tune should I go with to maximize MPG - that is my end goal is maximizing MPG over stock, not looking for best performance.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 04:07 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Close enough, Jack.

Oh well, as I just read: "Some days you're the bug; some days you're the
windshield."

Guess this was my day to be the bug.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Oh well, as I just read: "Some days you're the bug; some days you're the
windshield."

Guess this was my day to be the bug.

- Jack

That's ok. You are forgiven this time.

You know, there's a reason I don't help with the Gryphon (CS/CTS included) stuff......I'm the bug.

Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisunderwood View Post
Makes sense. I don't tow that much, so 80 daily had been planned as my primary - and the one I have been using. 80 Tow looks like a smoke show, only tried it once. What tune should I go with to maximize MPG - that is my end goal is maximizing MPG over stock, not looking for best performance.
If your permanent residence is located at high altitude, I'd probably stay at a 40HP or so for towing.

My reasons for recommending 40HP Towing are as follows:

1. No excessive over-fueling. Towing power will increase but will not dump unnecessary fuel into the engine.

2. No excessive over-fueling. Less fuel will require less air.

3. Mileage will increase over current 80 HP tune due to the reasons above.
Old Tue, June 1st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Whopper

Quote:
If your permanent residence is located at high altitude, I'd probably stay at a 40HP or so for towing.

My reasons for recommending 40HP Towing are as follows:

1. No excessive over-fueling. Towing power will increase but will not dump unnecessary fuel into the engine.

2. No excessive over-fueling. Less fuel will require less air.

3. Mileage will increase over current 80 HP tune due to the reasons above.
Thanks, yes I am permanate at 8000 feet elevation. We will see what Bill says once he gets back to me, as I would need to get the 40hp from him as well.
Old Sat, June 5th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Whopper

Emailed Bill when I did this original post - have not heard anything from PHP.... how do I get action on this?

I have a 80 tow / 80 daily / 100hp --- I would like to change the 100hp to an altitude friendly tune so I don't belch smoke.

Currently I am running stock tune while I am at altitude. I can only run 80 daily or tow below 5000ft.

Thanks
Travis