Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, July 18th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Trying to get by

tiny is on a distinguished road
Default just looking for some options (MPG's)

My work takes me everywhere in the country, I am wondering about some of the mods others have on their 7.3L and some of the results from them in line of MPGs? I also was wondering bout some exhausts. whats everyone's feelings about exhaust brakes? i have a very large trailer set that i pull wanting to keep the brakes as long as i can so... i have done a little research but you know how sometimes all you can find is the "company info" not exactly the customer info..

so whatever info you guys can offer, i appreciate it BTW just ordered the gryphon i can't wait

IT AIN'T NO RAG, IT'S MY FLAG!
Old Sun, July 18th, 2010, 06:12 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Just pick up a decent 4'' exhaust and a real cold air intake, couple those with some good programming from PHP and your fuel mileage should increase substantially.

I like the idea of an exhaust brake, just not what it is really doing. High exhaust back pressure on stock 7.3 valve springs (weak) is probably not the best idea.

I personally have never used one on a 7.3 so I do not know if this would really be an issue.

Personally I would rather replace brake pads then pushrods and transmissions.
Old Mon, July 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Whopper

tomtom is on a distinguished road

I have a ford ais severe duty intake for free flowing clean air and a walker big truck muffler for easy flow exhaust. Seems to work good and neither were expensive. They are as quiet as stock. My truck came from the previous owner with a banks exhaust brake. The guy I bought it from pulled a heavy toy hauler. I have used it some in the smokey mtns and it does seem to work well. I have been warned about burning up the coast clutch so I don't use it as much as I used to. My tranny has 67K miles. I typically tow a 40' horse trailer with living quarters. Gross out 26K. Since I got my FU chip my mileage went up 2 mpg and my temps have gone down. I love it! If you tow heavy and it is an auto definitely want to get you a 6.0L tranny cooler. I made a run today on flat ga interstate and avg 19.2 mpg without a trailer running 75 on cruise. I used to get 16.6. This is out of a crewcab 4wd dually. Typically pulling a trailer from ATL to Dallas, Tx I avg 9.5 running 72-75 on interstate. I use to get 7.5, and my truck worked harder. I have really been impressed with their tuning.
Old Wed, July 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road

I put reman single shot 90cc injectors in my '00 550 I went from 7.5 mpg to about 10 mpg, hauling hay. The over all power is about the same, more on low end and a little less after 2500rpm then the stock split shot 140cc.

I have not got it chipped yet (I will after I swap out the auto for a 6sp) so it idle like a big cam gasser.

as for the exhaust brake I have rigged up my exhaust back pressure valve on all my manual trans truck and run them with no issues

talk to Cody about tune with single shots

'97 F350 CC, DRW, pickup, 7.3, E4OD, 2wd, 4.10, 405K
'00 F550 reg cab, 11' flatbed, 4x4, 7.3, 6637, 4R100 (soon to be a ZF6), 290k
'97 GMC 5500, getting a transplant, 3.36, sleeper, 350k
Abolish the Federal Reserve, They are the #1 problem.
www.prisonplanet.com
Old Thu, July 22nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

I got single shot stage 2s. I'm not sure the mpg yet cause my truck had issues. But I agree with hayjay defently get single if you need new injectors
Old Sun, July 25th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Basicly Stock

the1laf is on a distinguished road

You can cut a hole behind the grill in the header panel in between the intercooler and the battery, right in front of the stock intake. It has a ram-air affect... I gained almost 2mpg just doing that!
Old Wed, July 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Double Whopper

mod11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1laf View Post
You can cut a hole behind the grill in the header panel in between the intercooler and the battery, right in front of the stock intake. It has a ram-air affect... I gained almost 2mpg just doing that!
?
Old Wed, July 28th, 2010, 11:27 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Do a search for "zoodad" mod.
Old Wed, July 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Double Whopper

mod11 is on a distinguished road

huh?first I thought you were pulling my leg........and then I found it.......funny thing is I was thinking bout doing this when i get back from sturgis even before I readthis post.Zoodad.....thats funny.
Old Fri, August 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Trying to get by

tiny is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. I got my gryphon installed, I like it a lot, just looking forward to my coustoms. I def need to look at some 4 inch exhaust. And I did the "zoodad" mod. Not big dif but it's there. Anyhow thanks again everyone. You guys r great for the fast help.

IT AIN'T NO RAG, IT'S MY FLAG!